Watch app won't install, stuck on "Installing..."

bkfeinberg
bkfeinberg
Community Member

Recently the 1Password Apple Watch app stopped appearing on the watch. When I checked, "Show App on Apple Watch" was turned off". I've tried turning it on again, but it only stays in "Installing..." indefinitely. Overnight, for example. I've tried restarting both the phone and watch, doesn't help.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @bkfeinberg, have you tried removing 1Password for Apple Watch using the Apple Watch app on the phone, then installing it again?

Also which version of iOS are you running on the iPhone?

• bkfeinberg
    bkfeinberg
    Community Member

The Apple Watch app on the phone already shows 1Password as being removed. I can't reinstall it using the app, because it never gets past the text showing "Installing...". The phone is running 8.4.1, if I'm reading the iOS version from the right place.

• @bkfeinberg I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your iOS device:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/ios.html

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• Tom782
    Tom782
    Community Member

I am having the same problem. Will no get past installing. My version is the Pro version. Annoying because I need it on the watch. Tried removing and reinstalling. No difference - still won't install. Using iOS 9.0.2. Hope you can assist.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Tom782: Unfortunately there isn't anything 1Password can do about this; it's handled entirely by iOS/watchOS. However, there are a few things you can try yourself to resolve the issue:

1. Connect both the Apple Watch and iPhone to power
    2. Open the Watch app on your iPhone, scroll down to 1Password, and set Show on Apple Watch to the off position
    3. Open 1Password on your iPhone and go to Settings > Apple Watch and set Enable Apple Watch to the off position
    4. Wait for it to stop saying "Uninstalling..." (this may never happen, but give it 5 minutes and then move on)
    5. View the apps on your actual Watch and if it is gone (in some cases, even those that completed "Uninstalling..." still show up)
    6. If it's still shown there, hold your finger on it and then tap the (x) (this may not work either)
    7. Regardless, hold the pill-shaped Side Button on the Watch and Power Off
    8. Then hold the Lock Button on your iPhone and Slide to Power Off
    9. Power on both the Apple Watch and iPhone
    10. Verify that 1Password is not shown on the Apple Watch and that this is reflected in the Watch app on the iPhone as well (if not, go back to the beginning)
    11. In 1Password on the iPhone, set Enable Apple Watch to on
    12. In Watch on the iPhone, go to 1Password and set Show on Apple Watch to on
    13. Wait for the app to finish Installing...

I've had to do this with pretty much every app at one point or another. Good luck! :)

• Tom782
    Tom782
    Community Member

Thanks for that. Worked a treat. All up and running.

Cheers

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. You're most welcome! I wish we didn't need to jump through all of those hoops sometimes, but I'm glad to hear that all is well now at least. We're here for you if you need anything else! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I just wanted to jump in here to mention that watchOS 2.0.1 is now available in case others still having this issue haven't yet updated. Please note that in order to update to watchOS 2.0.1, you first need to update your iPhone to iOS 9.1, as this is a prerequisite. From Apple's release notes:

Fixes an issue that could cause software updates to stall

In my (very limited — it just came out a few hours ago) testing I haven't yet encountered an app install hang, so here's hoping this problem is behind us all. Cheers! :)

• jackl2400
    jackl2400
    Community Member

I'll have to try the exact steps above because with Watch OS 2.0.1 and latest version of IOS 1Password (reinstalled from scratch) and watch rebooted, etc., in Apple Watch app install won't work...it says "installing" for about five minutes, then shuts off. When I do get it installed on watch, it lets me use my PIN to get in and then has a screen that says I need the pro version of 1password (which I have).

Sorry, folks, but I suspect you're going to have to find the incompatibility here and fix 1password with a new version with bug fix. :-(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sorry, folks, but I suspect you're going to have to find the incompatibility here and fix 1password with a new version with bug fix. :-(

@jackl2400: Unfortunately this isn't a problem we can solve. iOS/watchOS handles app installs. 3rd party apps don't even have the authority to affect this process...

When I do get it installed on watch, it lets me use my PIN to get in and then has a screen that says I need the pro version of 1password (which I have).

..but it sounds like it may actually be working in your case. Have you added items to the watch in 1Password yet? It sounds like either you haven't, or data hasn't yet sync'd over from the iPhone yet. This can (frustratingly) take some time, and there's no way to monitor the process.

If you're still having trouble, be sure to try the steps I posted above, as they haven't failed me (or, it seems, others) so far! I've had good luck since updating to 2.0.1, but perhaps the installation issues aren't yet solved for everyone. Please let me know how it turns out! :)

• jackl2400
    jackl2400
    Community Member

Hi, Brenty! Many thanks for the above tip...it worked!! I also learned something I didn't know and had never stumbled upon -- that you can delete an app from the Apple Watch apps screen as well as the companion iPhone control app. I doubted that was true when I read it in your "steps" above, but lo and behold, I held my finger on the tiny app icon on the watch app screen and it didn't launch as I expected but showed the "X" on the icon just like you would delete an app on the iPhone.

Sorry for the peevish tone of my first request....by way of lame explanation, I'm sure you know what it's like when you've been compulsively trying to make some piece of flaky software work configuring an new OS upgrade and it fails again and again no matter what permutations of trying to do an install you do...at 2 a.m. when you should be going to bed, but no......you're gonna get this to work first :-)

While I'm on the topic, I would just like to say that 1Password is a great product and the idea that it can sync the encrypted password vault across all your desktop, mobile and now personal wear computers is magic, as well as the basic concept that you can make and maintain strong passwords and not reuse them between logins. 1Password is definitely one of the best pieces of software I've bought both for the OS X and iOS platforms! As with all the great features like Watchtower, the software just keeps getting better each release!

Thanks again!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hi, Brenty! Many thanks for the above tip...it worked!!

@jackl2400: You are so, so welcome! I've fought with this a lot myself, so I'm happy that others can benefit. :lol:

I also learned something I didn't know and had never stumbled upon -- that you can delete an app from the Apple Watch apps screen as well as the companion iPhone control app. I doubted that was true when I read it in your "steps" above, but lo and behold, I held my finger on the tiny app icon on the watch app screen and it didn't launch as I expected but showed the "X" on the icon just like you would delete an app on the iPhone.

Indeed. It's absolutely true, but I wouldn't recommend it! I don't know about you, but trying to hit that microscopic (x) with my sausagey fingers is an exercise in frustration. I suspect Apple only included that functionality because people would expect it based on their experience with iOS. I'll stick with doing this on my iPhone. :crazy:

Sorry for the peevish tone of my first request....by way of lame explanation, I'm sure you know what it's like when you've been compulsively trying to make some piece of flaky software work configuring an new OS upgrade and it fails again and again no matter what permutations of trying to do an install you do...at 2 a.m. when you should be going to bed, but no......you're gonna get this to work first :-)

Yes. Yes I do. I know just what it's like and share your dogged determination — which is why we're both here right now — so no worries there. ;)

While I'm on the topic, I would just like to say that 1Password is a great product and the idea that it can sync the encrypted password vault across all your desktop, mobile and now personal wear computers is magic, as well as the basic concept that you can make and maintain strong passwords and not reuse them between logins. 1Password is definitely one of the best pieces of software I've bought both for the OS X and iOS platforms! As with all the great features like Watchtower, the software just keeps getting better each release!

Wow! That is very kind of you! We continually strive to make 1Password into the awesome app that we want to use, and that you folks deserve. We couldn't do what we do without your support. Thank you! :love:

This discussion has been closed.