Chrome extension not finding accounts when using multiple monitors

Options
elliotcm
elliotcm
Community Member
edited September 2015 in 1Password in the Browser

When using an external monitor the following situation occurs regularly:
1. With chrome windows open on primary and secondary monitors..
2. Focus on window on secondary monitor, where a webpage is open at a login screen
3. Hit ⌘\ to bring up the extension
4. The dialog appears on the primary monitor, not the secondary
5. Enter password to unlock the relevant vault
6. No matching logins are found
7. Hit ESC to close the dialog
8. Hit ⌘\ again
9. The correct logins now appear, still on the primary monitor
10. Hitting enter fills the form on the second monitor correctly

Step 4 is a bit annoying, but steps 6 through 8 are the real problem.

1Password Version: 1Password 5 Version 5.3.2 (532001) Agile Web Store
Extension Version: 4.4.3.90
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @elliotcm,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with the browser extension and multiple monitors! Thank you very much for the detailed steps on how you reproduce the problem, it's very helpful for us!

This might be part of a known issue, but in order to tell for sure, can you please let us know a few more details:

• What exact version of Chrome are you using?
    • If you click the 1Password extension icon in the Chrome window on the secondary monitor (instead of using the keyboard shortcut), does the extension appear & work correctly?
    • Does it make any difference if you use the ⌥⌘\ ( Option+Command+\ ) keyboard shortcut to show 1Password mini, instead of the usual ⌘\ shortcut for the extension?
    • In System Preferences > Mission Control, is the option for "Displays have separate Spaces" enabled or disabled?
    • If you manually drag the 1Password extension window to the secondary monitor, does it open there the next time you use the keyboard shortcut? (You can drag the 1Password extension/mini window from the very top, above the 'Search' field.)

Thanks in advance!

ref: OPM-1603

• elliotcm
    elliotcm
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew,

• Chrome is 41.0.2272.89 (64-bit)
    • Yes, that option is checked in the Mission Control prefs

The other three I'll have to check once I'm back in the office with a second monitor.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@elliotcm: Whoa. I'm not sure how, but your version of Chrome is out of date (6 months, to be exact!) so please update it or download a fresh copy if updating is broken for some reason before proceeding. Who knows what other issues that may cause, as we only test with the current version since it's supposed to update automatically. 1Password isn't meant to be backward compatible with old browser releases.

Let's start there, as I'm not seeing this issue myself either. Please let me know what you find when you're able to check! :)

• elliotcm
    elliotcm
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Yep, updating seems to have fixed it. Had to download a fresh copy of Chrome to get the update (45.0.2454.85 (64-bit)). I'll open a new thread if it reoccurs. Thanks!

• elliotcm
    elliotcm
    Community Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

@brenty Tell a lie, it only worked because I unlocked my primary vault and then switched over to the other vault. It still breaks if I unlock direct to the relevant vault, and only if it's locked in the first place.

@Drew_AG:

• If you click the 1Password extension icon in the Chrome window on the secondary monitor (instead of using the keyboard shortcut), does the extension appear & work correctly?

Yes.

• Does it make any difference if you use the ⌥⌘\ ( Option+Command+\ ) keyboard shortcut to show 1Password mini, instead of the usual ⌘\ shortcut for the extension?

This seems to do the same thing, i.e. opening a small version of the vault in the middle of my primary monitor.

• If you manually drag the 1Password extension window to the secondary monitor, does it open there the next time you use the keyboard shortcut? (You can drag the 1Password extension/mini window from the very top, above the 'Search' field.)

Yes, though it slides around weirdly when I switch vaults. This does solve the problem, however.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Awesome! Thanks or the update. I'm glad to hear that helped! I just know it's never come up before, using an old version with the current extension, so alarms were going off in my brain: "UNKNOWN!" Hopefully your troubles are behind you, but we're here if you need anything else. Cheers! :)

• elliotcm
    elliotcm
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty @Drew_AG Just discovered that moving the panel only serves to reverse the problem, since triggering the panel from the primary monitor has it appear on the secondary monitor, and experiencing the same problems.

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Greetings @elliotcm,

The 1Password mini menu has two behaviours that can be chosen when it comes to positioning. If you drag the menu to the middle of the screen you should see it snap into place. This state should have 1Password mini open on whatever screen is active. The other behaviour is if you drag the menu away from the middle of the screen and what this does is set an absolute position - it should open there all the time no matter what screen is active. I use the absolute positioning myself but then I only have a single screen. If you revert to what I think was the default behaviour of 1Password mini, does this result in the menu being opened on the correct screen?

I also apologise for the delay in responding, sorry about that.

• elliotcm
    elliotcm
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables Yes, reverting it back to the snapped-in-place position sorts out the problem because it opens on the same screen as the focused window. I'm cool with that, but it may still be worth looking into the issue of logins not being found if the menu opens on a different screen to the focused window, if only to avoid other confused users.

All the best,
    Elliot

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hi @elliotcm,

You're quite right, 1Password should always be returning the correct list of Login items. Can I ask, do you ever see it if the vault is already unlocked or is it only if you need to unlock your vault first?

• elliotcm
    elliotcm
    Community Member
    Options

It always works when the vault is unlocked and even works if I unlock another vault first.

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hi @elliotcm,

I'm sorry, I now see you did mention this before. I'm curious now. I almost exclusively unlock my primary vault because it does unlock all vaults and allows for easy moving between them. If I had to unlock my vaults each time I swapped between them my poor Mac would think it's a discus being used to practice for the Olympics. Does unlocking secondary vaults not drive you nuts?

Obviously that's an aside. So the issue is multiple monitors, Chrome windows on both and if you need to unlock a secondary vault to open 1Password mini it isn't showing the list of matching Login items. Is that a correct summary? I'm making sure I've understood all the parameters. Out of curiosity, are the two windows for separate Chrome profiles or for a single profile? If it is two profiles can you reproduce the issue with two windows for a single profile open? I know we've had trouble in the past with multiple Chrome profiles hence asking.

• elliotcm
    elliotcm
    Community Member
    Options

I only upgraded from 1P3 a little while ago so this is my first time using multiple vaults. I didn't know that unlocking the primary unlocked all the others. I would think that in most cases it wouldn't make any difference since the unlock would time out before I needed to enter another password, but I can see it being very useful when I restart the browser and have to log in to everything again.

Unlocking any vault, actually. If I unlock the primary vault and the login I need is in the primary vault then it doesn't show up there either, but if I unlock the primary vault and switch to a secondary vault and the login I need is in that secondary vault it works.

Summed up, the first unlock of any vault doesn't show passphrases from that vault for the focused chrome window if the menu is on a different screen to the chrome window.

I'm just using a single anonymous profile.

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hi @elliotcm,

Thank you for all of that information. If the issue is reproducible (I don't have a multi-monitor setup myself) I'm confident we can do so using everything you've told us. I'll ask around to see how uses a two monitor config and we'll file a bug report based on our results.

I suspect we haven't stumbled upon this as we tend to have 1Password unlocked for so much of the day :tongue:

• elliotcm
    elliotcm
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables,

I'm back in the office and for some reason the menu is showing up on the primary monitor when triggered from the secondary monirot again, even when in the locked position.

Alas,
    Elliot

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Greetings @elliotcm,

I wouldn't be shocked if you were sitting there thinking our multi-monitor support sucks :tongue:

So you moved 1Password mini to the middle of the screen and had it snap into place so that in theory it should be opening on whatever screen is active based on application window. Despite that it's now determined to use just the primary monitor. I don't know if it will make a difference or not but it might be worth trying the following. Enter 1Password's preferences and in the General tab you will see an option titled Show mini app icon in the menu bar. By default this is enabled. Does where 1Password mini display the window improve if you disable this option? I actually disabled it a while ago due to the ever expanding collection of icons in my menu bar and the fact that I always use ⌘\ to fill or ⌥⌘\ to open 1Password mini. I know in the past there was some evidence that this help although I thought we were past all of those issues.

I am sorry you've been fighting with this so much.

• elliotcm
    elliotcm
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables

So it was showing on the correct screen after snapping and then stopped doing so after a day or two, but just to be sure I deliberately moved it and resnapped it again. It took about 6 or 8 tries to get it to snap, but after doing so it's now showing up on the right screen again so I can't test your settings change.

A hypothesis might be that it somehow became unsnapped but stayed in the same place, though I'm not sure how that would happen given that I always use my keyboard when using 1Password from the browser. I tried unplugging and replugging the monitor, as well as putting the laptop to sleep and unplugging my external keyboard/mouse, to no effect. Still works just fine.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@elliotcm: Well, that is certainly a maddeningly weird relief! I'm glad that it's working for you, and hope that it continues to. But be sure to let us know if you encounter any more issues. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.