Suggestion: display main password along with 2FA codes on Apple Watch

rmorton0573
rmorton0573
Community Member

I hope I'm in the right place and I searched the forums and did not find a suggestion like this so I apologize if this is a repost. I think the fact that 2FA identification is in one password is awesome. However, I'm still having to use 2 different apps on my Apple Watch. I'm using 1password and Authy on my watch because if I have 2FA setup in 1password it only displays the generated code and not the actual password. So I'm having to use 1password for my passwords and Authy for my 2FA codes on my watch. If I don't do it this way I would be stuck with using my iPhone for passwords and my watch for the needed 2 FA codes. At the moment I have to switch back and forth on my watch between 1password and Authy. It would be great if 1 password would display the password and maybe scroll down with the Digital Crown for the 2FA codes. So both the password and code are displayed not one or the other. Anyway just a suggestion. :)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rmorton0573: You're absolutely in the right place! In regard to Login items only showing the TOTP code (when present) on Apple Watch, this is by design. We'll certainly consider the possibility of changing this in the future, but we set it up this way intentionally for a few reasons (which of course may no longer be relevant later on):

• The second factor TOTP code on your Watch is separate from the rest of the login credentials; that way, if your Apple Watch is lost, stolen, or otherwise compromised, someone wouldn't instantly have access to everything needed to login to your account.
    • Data in 1Password on the Apple Watch cannot be protected by your Master Password, but instead the iOS Keychain and the PIN you set up.
    • Along with the limited screen and storage space, this is also why 1Password doesn't simply store and show all of your 1Password data on the Watch: at least for now, it can't be as secure — physically or technologically — as 1Password on your iPhone...but of course this may change in the future as Apple Watch (and our use and understanding of it!) matures.

I won't include this in that list since it's just my own personal opinion based on experience, but I also tend to use 1Password for iPhone in most login situations since, well...it has a browser, where I can simply have 1Password fill the credentials for me. After all, I almost always have my iPhone with me, as at this time the Watch is still very dependent on it! And for me having to TOTP code for a few select Login items on my Watch is simply a convenience, for those times when I'm still logged in via cookies, but a site such as Google wants me to enter only the TOTP to stay logged in.

I think that as you, I, and the rest of the 1Password Apple Watch users out there go about our daily lives this and perhaps other ideas will crop up that we can evaluate for future versions, so I really appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback! :)

• rmorton0573
    rmorton0573
    Community Member

You make excellent points, but with watchos2 coming it will provide more security supposedly. Thanks for the reply and maybe keep it in consideration. Perhaps it could be toggled on or off for users like me who sometimes needs the password and the 2FA code.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You make excellent points, but with watchos2 coming it will provide more security supposedly.

@rmorton0573: I didn't mean to imply that watchOS is insecure; quite the contrary, it uses the iOS security model, which is fantastic. However, 1Password users are accustomed to being able to protect their data using a long, strong, unique Master Password, and that just isn't possible on Apple Watch at this time. So we just want to make sure we proceed carefully, as this is new territory, both for users and AgileBits. :)

Thanks for the reply and maybe keep it in consideration. Perhaps it could be toggled on or off for users like me who sometimes needs the password and the 2FA code.

Definitely something we'll consider! watchOS 2.0 will be out this week, and as we all use it more and more, we'll work to find the best balance. :chuffed: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.