Does 1Password work with El Capitan?

Options
2»

Comments

• todd_brown
    todd_brown
    Community Member
    Options

+1, I would like to upgrade to El Capitan but at this point given the issues noted here don't feel comfortable that it can be done without causing a lot of problems with 1Password. At some point it may force me to look for another password solution.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

For anyone else reading this thread please note there's a post here by another poster indicating his solution to his problem (which accords with a solution that has been recommended by AgileBits elsewhere on this forum), and which I'll quote here for ease of reference:

Ensure you only have a single copy of 1Password on your Mac, you will want it to reside in /Applications/.

Use the following command in a Terminal window. The command is xattr -d -r -s com.apple.quarantine /Applications/1Password\ 5.app.

Stephen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

As I say when playing pool: It's slop, but I'll take it. So relieved that 1Password works; I could not survive without it. Thanks, AgileBits!

@mandolinda: No kidding! Thanks of the update. I'm glad to hear it's working for you! "Crude, but effective." ;)

+1, I would like to upgrade to El Capitan but at this point given the issues noted here don't feel comfortable that it can be done without causing a lot of problems with 1Password. At some point it may force me to look for another password solution.

@todd_brown: To be clear, 1Password is working for everyone on El Capitan except those in this thread (excluding me; it's working on the final 10.11 release here). It's entirely up to you, but if I were in your shoes I'd do exactly...well, exactly what I did on Wednesday: made a full disk backup (CarbonCopyCloner and SuperDuper! are both excellent choices) and go for it. It isn't clear why a few folks are having so much trouble with the upgrade, but I'm glad that so far there are solutions in most cases...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I've done everything that's been suggested by AgileBits, and no one should have to make such a concerted effort to get an application to function... especially software that's so critical to seamless and secure operations. It is inconceivable that more effort wasn't made to ensure a smooth transition to the new OS, and it gives me serious concerns about continuing to use 1Password.

@peteraltschuler: I'm sorry to hear that 1Password isn't working on your Mac. Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong in your specific case and how we might right it! Please tell me the exact OS, 1Password, and device versions you're using, the steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action.

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, what is the particular issue you're experiencing? Which specific fixes that we've suggested have you attempted, and what errors are you receiving? Any insight you can provide may help us get this resolved for you more quickly. Thanks in advance! :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

1Password version 5.3 (MAS) and OS X 10.11 clean install working perfect here.

• peteraltschuler
    peteraltschuler
    Community Member
    Options

brenty: I'm running Mac OS 10.11 and trying to use 1Password 5 (4 wouldn't work at all) on a mid 2012 Mac Pro with 32GB of RAM. I've tried removing the application, restarting, and reinstalling. I've started up in Safe Mode. And I've run the Terminal command recommended. In every case, 1Password starts, hangs, and presents an error message about not being able to connect with Mini... both before and after I removed the plug-in from Safari.

• peteraltschuler
    peteraltschuler
    Community Member
    Options

brenty: I tried a different Terminal command (mentioned in a separate user post -- xattr -d -r -s com.apple.quarantine /Applications/1Password\ 5.app -- and 1Password launched and allowed me to set it up. If luck is with me, it will keep running.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @peteraltschuler,

Thank you for letting us know that worked for you, I'm happy to hear it solved the problem! I don't believe any of us ran into this problem in our own testing of 1Password 5 on El Capitan beta releases, but it seems to be happening for a small number of customers, as we started hearing reports of this over the past couple days. As far as we can tell, it seems like the quarantine flag isn't being removed from 1Password by OS X (that's related to when you download an app and try to open it for the first time, and your Mac asks if you're sure you want to run it). The Terminal command you entered removes that flag so the app can run. We're still investigating the issue, but so far I haven't heard of it happening again once it has been solved.

Of course, if you do run into that (or another) problem with 1Password or have more questions, we're here for you! :)

• peteraltschuler
    peteraltschuler
    Community Member
    Options

Drew_AG, Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed. Glad to hear it's working for you now! :chuffed:

• alants
    alants
    Community Member
    Options

1Password not working here as well after a fresh El Capitan install.. Tried the terminal code above but didn't worked. Any thoughts?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mandolinda,

So in your situation is it just that 1Password mini isn't launching when you boot up the Mac? I've come across one other instance of this but we haven't determined the cause yet.

If this is indeed the case can I ask you to send in a diagnostic report please. This guide will assist.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums

The email address you will want to use is support+forum@agilebits.com.

When sending the diagnostic report to the address above it would help immensely if you could include a link to this thread and your forum handle so we can connect the two.

Once you've sent the report a post here with the ticket ID will help us to keep an eye out for it. With access to the report we should be able to better assist you :smile:

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @peteraltschuler,

May I ask, are you still trying to get 1Password to work or did one of the troubleshooting steps work for you?

If the xattr command worked for you then it is worth noting that this is a very new behaviour that we didn't observe in the earlier beta releases but also that the quarantine flag isn't something the application can do anything about, at least to the best of my knowledge. The purpose of the quarantine flag is to stop anything downloaded from the internet to simply run on your system without your prior consent. The idea is after you download OS X asks if you really do want to launch this application and if you say yes it removes the quarantine flag from the application and you can then launch it as normal. If the flag is in place though OS X will not allow you to launch the application. In other words no application should be able to defeat this otherwise it marginalises it's purpose as a security feature. I don't know why the flag is present or why OS X isn't asking if you want to run but hopefully we can figure out why. Given 1Password is not being allowed to launch at all though it is extremely unlikely that a change in the code will assist.

• peteraltschuler
    peteraltschuler
    Community Member
    Options

littlebobbytables, Yes, the xattr command worked and seems to be permanent. If the application reverts to "bad behavior," I'll be sure to whip it publicly in the forum... in the hope of finding a subsequent resolution. In the meantime -- after reading so many posts about various forms of quarantine -- I fell fairly confident that the Terminal command will stick.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@peteraltschuler: Indeed! There shouldn't be any reason that the attributes would revert once they've been set properly, but we're here if anything else goes wrong! :)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @alants,

1Password not working here as well after a fresh El Capitan install.. Tried the terminal code above but didn't worked. Any thoughts?

Can you describe more about how 1Password isn't working for you and let us know specifically which version of 1Password it is?

What error(s), if any, are you seeing?

Do you only have a single copy of 1Password on your Mac, installed in the system /Applications folder?

Has your Mac been restarted since 1Password hasn't been working?

What else have you done, if anything, to try fixing the problem other than running the xattr … command?

The more details we know, the sooner we can suggest what else you can do to get 1Password working again. Thanks in advance! :)

• BrianStegner2
    BrianStegner2
    Community Member
    Options

The method to launch an updated 1Password in El Capitan, using Terminal, works perfectly. Guys are screwing up by renaming files, or trying to change the name of the filename to conform to the instructions that were posted here. It doesn't work like that. If you have to copy/paste the Terminal command, paste it in, and then use your delete key to delete the entire path-to-app, then drag and drop your 1Password app (whatever it's labeled as, whereever it is, into the Terminal window, hit "Return" and voila, it works. I tried it on 1P 5, 5.2, and 5.3.... works on all of them. My advice, assume it's quarantined, skip the first command and just run the second one.

• BrianStegner2
    BrianStegner2
    Community Member
    Options

P.S. The tech support suggestion regarding betas is hogwash. IF the "expired" version works on the beta of El Capitan (as it did on my rig), then why would the AgileBits "update" break? Hello? The problem resides in AgileBits screwing up the flag, or whatever the mechanism is for the quarantine deal. I've loaded all kinds of apps on here, and NONE of them have failed on launch in the beta of 10.11.1 i.e., no quarantine problems elsewhere. Maybe Apple singled out 1Password? Not likely.

• BrianT
    BrianT
    Community Member
    Options

I have just installed the latest version of 1Password and am running OS 10.11 (El Capitan). It seems to be
    working fine, with one rather odd exception. When I try to drag an 1Password page to position it more conveniently on the screen it moves in a series of rapid hops, lagging behind the mouse's pointer. Very disconcerting.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @BrianT,

Dragging the main 1Password window can be jittery-jumpy like you've reported. It can also happen on Yosemite (10.10) but tends to be more apparent on El Capitan (10.11). Our developers are aware of this issue and I've added your description of it to our internal tracker.

It may be smoother if you click-and-drag from the top right corner between the gumdrops and item list. That can be a small target to grab and I do sometimes accidentally click the vault switcher area below it instead. :ohnoes:

Aside from this, I'm glad 1Password is working fine for you on El Capitan. Please let us know if you discover other issues or if there's anything else we can help you with. Cheers! :)

ref: OPM-3297

• BrianT
    BrianT
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, sjk.
    Your suggestion works well. Now I have to work on my hand/eye coordination.

• QueenBee
    QueenBee
    Community Member
    Options

The quarantine attribute was why my 1password wasn't starting after upgrading to El Capitan. Changed it using the command provided and I'm back in business! Hopefully there can be a better way of handling this as I suspect this will be a common problem.

• horns
    horns
    Community Member
    Options

I am experiencing the same issues. I've update my mac to EC (final release 10.11) and my 1password app does not launch anymore. I've tried rebooting, etc, and nothing works.. very frustrated !!

• horns
    horns
    Community Member
    Options

don't know why, but to get it woking: is to open it directly from Aplications folder and NOT from Launchpad. It does work for me now. Again: Don't have any idea why.., but its did work fine.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The problem resides in AgileBits screwing up the flag, or whatever the mechanism is for the quarantine deal.

@BrianStegner2 : Sorry for the confusion! Apps don't set the quarantine flag. OS X does, pig bathing notwithstanding. ;)

The quarantine attribute was why my 1password wasn't starting after upgrading to El Capitan. Changed it using the command provided and I'm back in business! Hopefully there can be a better way of handling this as I suspect this will be a common problem.

@QueenBee: Fortunately this issue isn't affecting most users, but I'm sorry that you were one of the (un)lucky ones. But I'm glad to hear that did the trick for you. Thanks for the update! :)

• cenktukel
    cenktukel
    Community Member
    Options

This was a previous comment. "don't know why, but to get it woking: is to open it directly from Aplications folder and NOT from Launchpad. It does work for me now. Again: Don't have any idea why.., but its did work fine."

I had the same problem (after installing El Capitan) and following the above advice, it opened from the application menu, not from the launchpad. Then I removed it from the dock, opened from application menu - and it worked - then put the I can back to the dock. It is Ok for now.
    Thank you for the advice.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed, very strange. I'm glad to hear that it's working for you now though! Be sure to reach out if you run into any other issues. We're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.