Dropbox 2 Factor Authentication in app broken

Options
bigalbrownster
bigalbrownster
Community Member

I recently tried to add a link to drop box for another app. This required the password, username and the 2 factor password. The first 2 were fine and correct, however the 2 factor password kept coming up as incorrect. I then tried to access through the mac which seemed to work fine, so I decided to reset the 2 factor on the iOS device using the QR code scanning. Trying again the 2 factor password still came up as incorrect.

When returning to the mac version this now shows as an incorrect password for 2 factor authentication. Any suggestions? Perhaps dropbox has changed something?

1Password Version: 6.0.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:dropbox

Comments

• bigalbrownster
    bigalbrownster
    Community Member
    Options

iOS version 9.1 - beta

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bigalbrownster: In the past I've occasionally gotten bad QR codes for TOTP, so that's entirely possible. But in your case it sounds like the T in TOTP might be a bit off. The first T, for time, that is. Double-check the date and time on both devices to make sure they're correct, because if there's significant drift this will cause the codes generated to be invalid. Let me know what you find! :)

• bigalbrownster
    bigalbrownster
    Community Member
    Options

The time is correct, set automatically. I've gone back to text messages for the second code now though.

• Hi @bigalbrownster,

Both time, date, and time zone of your iPhone looks exactly the same with all of your computers and devices, correct? Even if it is off by a few seconds, it would not work. We have not heard anyone else report that TOTP isn't working and I just tested it myself with Dropbox, it did work fine for me in different apps. Not to mention, the TOTP code shows the same with the Mac and Windows versions of 1Password.

If you see different code between iOS and Mac, that usually means the time is not in sync, especially when you consider the data is exactly the same between both iOS and Mac with Dropbox syncing.

If you would like to try again with Dropbox, let us know and we'll go through the steps.

• One more thing, you can see in this thread that someone has his iPad set to sync the time automatically but it was offset by 2 minutes, even if it is automatic.

This discussion has been closed.