Feature request: Launch iOS app from credential page in 1Pass

Options
valor
valor
Community Member

One of the few remaining annoyances with using 1Password is having to open the app, copy the PW, exit to home screen, find the OTHER app you wanted to log into, then putting in the creds.

It would be super helpful if I could open the app to which the item belonged right from within the item itself.

I don't know if you could pull the app handler ID from the website (the same method used to show "Open in app?" messages on websites) when the icon is retrieved, but that would make the process much simpler!

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 9.1 Beta
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:App fill

Comments

• valor
    valor
    Community Member
    Options

One of the few remaining annoyances with using 1Password is having to open the app, copy the PW, exit to home screen, find the OTHER app you wanted to log into, then putting in the creds.

It would be super helpful if I could open the app to which the item belonged right from within the item itself.

I don't know if you could pull the app handler ID from the website (the same method used to show "Open in app?" messages on websites) when the icon is retrieved, but that would make the process much simpler!

• Hi @valor,

This should be easier on iPad with Split View support as you don't have to leave the front app to get the data from 1Password. Not to mention, we have the iOS extension that anyone can implement for their app to retrieve data from 1Password or any other password managers that would support our extension.

However for what you're asking, this is not feasible at the moment on the iOS platform. There are restrictions in place to ensure apps doesn't do this to try to see what kind of apps you have installed on the device and it can be seem as a privacy/tracking issue.

Apple is improving iOS every year in this area, iOS 9 bought deep-linking and back button and who knows what next year will bring.

• valor
    valor
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the response and explanation!
    A man can dream... ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@valor: That certainly would be nice, but it simply isn't possible due to the (awesome) iOS security model.

Definitely not, as this is the stuff of inter-app communications exploits, and the one thing we won't do is put your data at risk.

That said, iOS 8 introduced app extensions, and 1Password includes an extension of its own. Many apps support the 1Password iOS extension, and if you want others to, let them know! We're always happy to help other developers make our (mutual) customers' lives easier, 1Password at a time. ;)

• MikeT
    edited September 2015
    Options

You're welcome, a man certainly can dream. It would be really interesting to see other power-user features Apple will add to iOS with the new focus on iPad Pro and not to mention the cool looking 3D Touch interface. I'd love for them to bring 3D Touch to the iPads and Apple Pencil down to the smaller models.

This discussion has been closed.