All items in one of three vaults just read "Unnamed"

kylander
kylander
Community Member
edited September 2015 in Mac

I sync three vaults via Dropbox with an iMac, Macbook, iPhone and iPad. On Friday, I noticed that all of the items in one of the three vaults simply read, "Unnamed." They show the URLs for each, but no names, passwords, IDs. The other two vaults are fine. I'm thinking that "Restore previous versions" in Dropbox could help, but I'm not sure which files I should restore.

1Password Version: 5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:unnamed

Comments

• Hi @kylander,

Does it say unnamed on all of your Macs and iOS devices or just one of the Macs?

Also, is this vault the last one on the list of vaults?

• kylander
    kylander
    Community Member

Yes -- everything's "Unnamed" on all of the devices. the file had already synced to all of the devices before I realized I had an issue. And yes, in the list of vaults it's the last one.

• Greetings @kylander,

This is unusual and I would really love to review diagnostic reports to see if we can understand what happened. If you're willing here is what I would recommend.

1. On the two Macs use the menu option File > Backup to create a new backup.
    2. On the two iOS devices follow the steps in Creating manual backups (iOS) so that you have backups from the two iOS devices too.
    3. Can you create diagnostic reports for each device by follow the steps in for your Macs and for your iOS devices and email all of them to us at support+forum@agilebits.com with a link to this thread.

Now to address the issue.

The idea of using Dropbox's version control was an interesting one but it only works on individual files meaning you would have to restore possibly hundreds of files individually (each item in your vault is a separate file), all back to the same point in time. There is another route though.

We delete the damaged Agile Keychain from Dropbox and the vault from all but one Mac. On that Mac we use a backup to create a fresh Agile Keychain of the vault before things went bad. We then restore the backup you made above, delete the bad vault that was restored and use the new Agile Keychain to kick start the vault again. There will be a few steps but if we break them down it shouldn't be too bad.

I'm guessing you use one Mac more than the other so let's call the one you use 1Password the most on Mac A and the other one Mac B.

1. On Mac B switch to the damaged vault and select the menu option 1Password > Delete XXXX Vault... to be guided through the steps.
    2. On both the iOS devices launch 1Password for iOS and go to Settings > Vaults. Tap the (i) to the right of the damaged vault and select the Remove Vault option at the bottom of that new page.
    3. On Mac A open 1Password's preferences and switch to the Backup tab. Select a backup from just before everything went bad and click the now enabled Restore button. Follow the steps.
    4. When you relaunch 1Password check to see if you have a good copy of your vault.
    5. Delete the damaged Agile Keychain in Dropbox.
    6. Re-enable Dropbox sync for just this one vault, what we're doing is creating a new Agile Keychain to replace the damaged one deleted.
    7. Return to the Backups tab and restore the newest backup, the one you made in the first set up steps.
    8. Now delete the damaged vault from Mac A.
    9. At this point none of your devices have the damaged vault but we do have a good Agile Keychain back in Dropbox.
    10. Add the vault back to all devices.

There's a lot of deleting going on but don't forget, we created a backup on each device before starting so we can always undo everything.

I hope you don't mind creating the diagnostic reports and emailing them in as I would love to know if we could understand what happened, what it was it was extensive and we definitely don't want that happening again.

• wagaun
    wagaun
    Community Member

Hi I got the same problem but in the Primary vault. I couldn't delete it. How should I proceed?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @wagaun,

Please see Kevin’s post for some alternate instructions that will work with your primary vault.

I’m sorry that you’re running into this, we’ll do what we can to have it resolved properly as soon as possible!

This discussion has been closed.