Master password different on each device

Options
new
new
Community Member

When I change the password on the iPad and synced with the iphone the two had different master passwords. Had to change the iphone password manually, thought it would sync new master password from ipad and require input from other device.

Which password is the key for the stored passwords and the vault passwords? The master password on each device encrypts on device, and the vault password encrypts vault passwords?

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Ios9
Sync Type: Icloud

Comments

• Hi @new,

The Master Password that you type on iOS when you launch the 1Password app is the Master Password for the Primary vault. This should be the same on each device that is using the same Primary vault, but will only sync after you unlock the vault using the previous password for the first time.

Thanks!

Ben

• new
    new
    Community Member
    Options

After changing master password on one device do i have to manually change on the other devices?
    I only use the primary vault. Are the vault password and the application password different?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @new,

You should not have to. The change should be synced after you unlock each device (other than the one that initiated the change) with the old password one more time. After you've unlocked once with the old password, re-lock and unlock with the new password. After that only the new password should be accepted.

Thanks!

Ben

• royrpierce
    royrpierce
    Community Member
    Options

Lost first master password. Started over. Devices are synced but there seems to be confusion with previous data in iCloud, associated to the original (lost) master password. See screen shots attached.

• Ben
    Options

@royrpierce

We have a guide on deleting the data from iCloud available here:

(iOS) How to remove all 1Password data from iCloud

Once you've done so you may need to re-enable iCloud sync on each device to get them syncing again.

Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.