Syncing alternatives airdrop bluetooth cellular; biometric face of voice backword compatibility

Options
new
new
Community Member
edited September 2015 in iOS

Could airdop, bluetooth, or wifi be used to sync without cloud connection?

Could voice or face be used as biometric for backword compatibility on devices without finger reader or for multifactor authentication?

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Ios9
Sync Type: Icloud

Comments

• Hi @new,

Could airdop, bluetooth, or wifi be used to sync without cloud connection?

WiFi is already available as a sync option, yes:
    https://support.1password.com/guides/ios/syncing.html

AirDrop does not do syncing. It does one direction transfers. So that wouldn't help us with syncing 1Password, no.

Bluetooth could in theory be used, but I'm not sure it would offer any real benefit over WiFi, and would actually have some disadvantage (such as range), so it is unlikely we'd invest the time developing that when WiFi sync is already an option.

Could voice or face be used as biometric for backword compatibility on devices without finger reader or for multifactor authentication?

In theory? Yes. In practice? Both face and voice would be incredibly easy to defeat... With face for example I've seen attackers defeat it simply by holding up a print out of the victim's Facebook profile picture to the device's camera. Aside from that, it would require a huge amount of effort to implement, for a relatively small audience.

Thanks!

Ben

• new
    new
    Community Member
    Options

Brent posted to my backup and restore question
    @new: The best thing to do is to use a friend's computer temporarily to save a backup, and then perhaps move the backup file to a USB drive. iCloud is great both for syncing and backing up your iOS device, but having a single point of failure is always a risky proposition. And ultimately AgileBits simply doesn't have any control over iCloud backups, which is why we include the backup feature in 1Password itself. You can never have too many failsafes for your important data!

iOS apps can't read and write data outside of their sandboxes (and frankly we wouldn't want them to, as this keep things very secure!) but this means that iTunes is the only way to move files in and out of the iOS app.

To be clear, iCloud should restore everything when you restore from an iCloud backup, but we've heard too many cases of this not working as expected to recommend it wholeheartedly. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

Wanted to comment question seems closed, was sent this email about resetting and restoration of ios

Greig Allen
    Transatlantic Support Jedi @ AgileBits
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    http://support.1password.com

How nice was my reply? http://www.nicereply.com/agilebits/greig/588453

On Thu, 27 Aug 2015, albert.del.rio@me.com wrote:

I see, sync with icloud or drop box, reset or restore one device and sync
    1password with the other device?

I was concerned that a dropbox or icloud account could be compromised?

• new
    new
    Community Member
    Options

Syncing
    Could be convenient for localized syncing. Might be safer on short range secure connection. I think i used the cellular sync with icloud successfully.

• Ben
    Options

Hi new,

I apologize but I'm having a really difficult time following what exactly it is you're asking us. Could you please clarify / elaborate?

If you are already having a conversation with us via email it may make things easier to continue the conversation there.

Thanks.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.