How can I sync/share 1password app with my other devices, e.g., iPad (second gen) and Mac notebook ?

Options
kasylinda
kasylinda
Community Member

Hi - I have an app (1password) on my iPhone 6+. I want to share this app with my iPad for safety. I have already backed this app on iTunes. I have searched for hours about the best way to accomplish this task. It's just scary to think that I have this app on only one device. Does backing it up in iTunes give me a safety measure just in case my iPhone is lost? Broken? Stolen (hope not)? Thanks for any help that you may send...

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

This isn't an area I know much about, but it may be that your iPad is too old to use the current version of 1PW. I gather that it is only possible to use old versions of an app if they already have been bought on that machine and you need to re-install.

But in any case, it isn't the app itself that needs protecting. If your 1Phone was broken/stolen/etc, and you got a new iPhone there is no issue in redownloading. The thing that needs protecting is your vault (collection of passwords). That needs to be backed up or synced somewhere. If you only had your vault on your iPhone it would be lost in the situations you describe.

Also you mentioned iPhone and iPad in the body of your post, but referred to a Mac notebook in the subject line. I just want to mention that 1PW for iOS and 1PW for Mac are separate purchases (due to restrictions by Apple a bundle is not possible). The Mac version can be bought either from Apple's Mac App Store or direct from AgileBits. If you want iCloud sync you must buy from the App Store (again, Apple's rules). If you buy direct you can use Dropbox sync, which I and many AgileBits staff prefer to iCloud; when there are paid upgrades you can get a discount with a direct purchase but not with a purchase from the App Store, and also AgileBits get all the proceeds from a direct purchase whereas Apple take a large cut on App Store purchases. Personally, I feel happier giving money direct to developers.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kasylinda: First and foremost, backup your 1Password data. It's a good thing to do no matter what, and this will give you some peace of mind:

1Password backups (iOS)

Next, be sure to install 1Password on your iPad from the App Store. You can download it from your purchase history, or simply search for it. We'll start there since you're already familiar with that from using it on your iPhone.

Finally, if you're using the current version of 1Password on each device, you can simply sync your 1Password data between them all:

1Password sync options

And if you let us know which OS, 1Password, and device versions you're using, we'll be able to give more specific recommendations and instructions. Thanks in advance! :)

• kasylinda
    kasylinda
    Community Member
    Options

Wow! Thanks everyone for your help. :) Maybe my questions were all over the place. I have the iPhone 6+, which is where I am using 1Password now, and let me say that I've had no problem with it. It is a wonderful app. It appears that I am using version 6.0.1 for 1Password. I downloaded it a while ago free when it was using my iPhone 5s. Several months ago, I traded in my iPhone 5s for a new iPhone 6+. Everything transferred to my new upgrade-- but not the the 1Password app. The Verizon rep asked me if I had it backed up. I am not even sure I did that that time. I've now learned about about how important it is to have devices backed up. I then re-downloaded 1Password again to my new iPhone6+, and have happily been using it since. ...But I did have to re-enter all my information. At that time, I had about 48 entries. Ugh? The Verizon Representative gave me back my phone so that I could get out paper and pen and write down all my entries. It took a while, but I did it. Again, this is where I store all my personal information, and I feel safe doing just that. However, I got to thinking that lately that if something were to happen to my iPhone 6+ I would be in big, big trouble. However, it's is still unclear that if I am backed up in iTune that I am safe. So, I now have my devices (iPhone 6+, iPad, and Mac notebook) backed up. Whoohoo. I want to mention also that I using an older version of an iPad, which will be 4 years old in December. I am not sure that even matters, but again just the thought of losing 1Password would be horrible. I thought about Dropbox, but have no idea how that works. It would be another learning curve for me I guess, which keeps the old brain working. Is it impossible to sync my iPhone 6+ to my iPad in order to transfer apps, especially 1Password. Maybe moving apps doesn't work that way and an app is needed in order to do so. I will say that most apps for Mac are not free. What suggestions would you have in order to ensure that I have a backup copy to any device that I own. I even went to Verizon yesterday to ask my questions? The suggestion that the Verizon representative made to me was that I would AGAIN need to write down all 82 entries in my 1Password and type them in Notes on either my iPhone or ipad for an extra copy/backup. WHAT! Hey, we put people on the moon these days. Well, even I know that if someone uses your iPad the Notes app is not password protected. I appreciate any additional help that someone could suggest. Have a great day!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2015
    Options

...But I did have to re-enter all my information. At that time, I had about 48 entries. Ugh? The Verizon Representative gave me back my phone so that I could get out paper and pen and write down all my entries. It took a while, but I did it.

@kasylinda: Nooo! :cry:

I'm sorry you had to go that route. Definitely not a fun experience, but I am relieved that you at least got all of your data.

However, I got to thinking that lately that if something were to happen to my iPhone 6+ I would be in big, big trouble. However, it's is still unclear that if I am backed up in iTune that I am safe.

Unfortunately iTunes and iCloud backups do not always restore reliably. When my wife got a new iPad recently and restored from an iCloud backup when setting it up, she received an ominous error saying that everything could not be restored. Now, she doesn't appear to be missing anything important, but this is fairly common and it isn't clear why it happens. Even restoring fro the same backup multiple times will often produce different results.

The suggestion that the Verizon representative made to me was that I would AGAIN need to write down all 82 entries in my 1Password and type them in Notes on either my iPhone or ipad for an extra copy/backup. WHAT! Hey, we put people on the moon these days. Well, even I know that if someone uses your iPad the Notes app is not password protected. I appreciate any additional help that someone could suggest. Have a great day!

You're absolutely right: Notes doesn't encrypt your data! And while iOS itself is very secure, if someone gains access to your phone while it is unlocked, perhaps the only thing that is still secure is the data stored in 1Password, since they'd need to have the Master Password to unlock (and decrypt) it.

But please please please don't put yourself through that again, copying your information by hand! We've included a backup and restore feature in 1Password itself for a few reasons: you should't have to lose your data, you shouldn't have to rely on an unreliable device backup, and you shouldn't have to manually re-enter all of your information every time you change devices. After all, getting a new iPhone should be a happy occasion! :chuffed:

Please follow this guide to backup your 1Password data, and then it also covers restoring it should you need to in the future:

1Password backup and restore (iOS)

If you're using an old iPad, it may no be able to use 1Password 6, since it requires iOS 9. But if you can tell me all the OS and device versions you're using, I'll be able to offer more specific advice for getting things set up. Thanks in advance! :)

• kasylinda
    kasylinda
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brently ~ Well, I did find out your questions. On my iPad I am using OS 8.1.3; OS on Mac notebook 10.9.5; and OS iPhone 6+ 9.0.1. Again, I surely appreciate your help. ...And you're right. Having to write down all the information in 1Password isn't fun. However, I am just afraid of losing my information. But if you can tell me a way to backup 1Password that I would never lose my information I don't think that I would be so afraid of losing my information lifeline. Maybe because I am using OS 8.1.3 on ipad I am in a losing situation. Looking forward to hearing from you again. This has been a learning curve for me. Thanks

• Hi @kasylinda

Brent included the information on backing up in his last post. :) You can find it here:

https://support.1password.com/ios-itunes-backups/

iOS 9 has the same system requirements as iOS 8, so any devices running iOS 8 can be upgraded to iOS 9 (and once you've got iOS 9 you can get 1Password 6 for iOS).

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.