Is 1Password supposed to save a new login during website sign up? Mac/Chrome

Options
weavermedia
weavermedia
Community Member

I've been a 1P user for a few years and I seem to remember it used to offer to save a new login item whenever I signed up for something.

I remember it because the incorrect URL would always be saved (www.blah.com/signup rather than www.blah.com/signin) and I would save the new login, immediately sign out of the service, sign back in and then choose to 'edit an existing login' to update the URL to the correct one.

But as of late, I'm never offered to save any new login items when I sign up for something. Is this a feature change in 1P, or have flicked a preference setting somewhere in prior frustration that has switched this feature off?

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: 4.4.3.90
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello, @weavermedia! You remember correctly and the functionality hasn't changed. There is a related setting: It's in Preferences > Browser, and it's called Automatically ask to save new Logins. There is currently a bug that is preventing this from working properly. I just talked to our developers about this, and they're working toward resolving the issue.

Hopefully we won't keep you waiting too much longer for a fix. Thanks for your patience! In the meantime, how are you saving your logins? When you let 1Password generate and fill a password for you on a signup page, it automatically creates a Password item for that password. Until we've got this sorted, you can have 1Password fill that generated password on the login page and save a new login item manually.

By the way, 1Password should be smarter now than it used to be about restoring registration form details in login forms, but when things don't work quite as expected, what I do is visit the login page, copy the URL, edit the saved login and add the URL to the item, and save. Then I use 1Password to log myself back in to my account. This way, I accomplish two objectives at once: updating the login item with the login URL and making sure that 1Password works as expected to sign me in to my account.

If we can help you with anything else, please let us know! =)

• foobar
    foobar
    Community Member
    Options

I had the same question, was just coming here to ask. I'm surprised that core functionality like prompting to save new logins managed to be shipped in a release version given the extensive beta testing process.

Perhaps the developers should spend less time implementing all the latest OS features and more time on regression testing ;) ;) I hope it can be fixed quickly, since I have changed email addresses, so I have many many logins that I need to change and it adds extra steps when you don't get prompted.

• weavermedia
    weavermedia
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your reply @Nik

I stopped using the Password items list a while back because it seemed so unreliable. Recently created passwords were never on the list yet passwords I created years ago still linger there. Seemed like every time I looked at the list it wasn't any help.

I'm fine with the method I already use. Sign up on a site, have 1P generate a password > immediately sign out > sign back in again and paste the generated password from the clipboard. When I do this 1P always saves a new login item.

I tend to agree with @foobar - regressions in such a major feature as this are not good. These aren't edge cases or new features. This should be really really well covered by solid tests.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I had the same question, was just coming here to ask. I'm surprised that core functionality like prompting to save new logins managed to be shipped in a release version given the extensive beta testing process.

@foobar: Sorry for the inconvenience! Autosave fails only in specific cases. That's certainly not helpful; so I don't mean that as an excuse, but rather an answer to your musings.

I stopped using the Password items list a while back because it seemed so unreliable. Recently created passwords were never on the list yet passwords I created years ago still linger there. Seemed like every time I looked at the list it wasn't any help.

@weavermedia: Ah, Password items aren't actually meant to be used except as a failsafe. You'll only have these saved if you manually created a Password item for some reason, or used the Password Generator to actually fill a generated password. Sorry for the confusion!

Thanks again for your patience. We'll get this Autosave issue fixed! :)

• foobar
    foobar
    Community Member
    Options

Any updates on getting this core 1Password feature working again, now that it is 2016?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@foobar: Sorry for the trouble! While we've had this fixed in beta for some time, as you can imagine we want to make sure that all is well before the final release. Keep an eye out for updates! :)

ref: OPX-1049

This discussion has been closed.