Online Access

Options
paul_guertin
paul_guertin
Community Member

I am presently evaluating 1Password as I consider moving away from LastPass. Does 1Password allow users to access their vault from the web like LastPass? I am wondering what I would do if I needed to access my vault if I was visiting my mother, who would not have 1Password installed on her computer, and I didn't have my phone with me.

Thanks,

Paul

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Basically, if you needed to get your passwords on a third-party computer, you would arrange to sync the 1PW vault to Dropbox (easy to set up in advance on your main system) and use 1Password Anywhere. Check the knowledgebase for this. You would have to remember your Dropbox password as well as the 1PW master password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@paul_guertin: Indeed, if you store your vault in Dropbox, you can access 1PasswordAnywhere through the Dropbox website. be sure to let us know if you have any other questions! :)

• paul_guertin
    paul_guertin
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you both for your replies.

Although having to be able to access my Dropbox password PRIOR to accessing 1PW is a bit of a hassle, at least there is a solution.

Cheers!

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

@paul_guertin there's three passwords that you should set to Diceware passwords and memorise them.

Although "1Password" is a neat name, the reality is that just remember 1 password is a risk. What happens if your house burns down? The insurance replaces your laptop but then you need to reclaim your accounts. You don't have the 1Password vault because your old laptop was destroyed, so you try to get it from dropbox but you don't know the password. You then try to do a password reset on Dropbox but you need access to your email, which you don't have the password for.

Basically, I'd recommend that you set Diceware passwords on your vault, Dropbox and your primary email account and then memorise them.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I would say your Apple ID password should be Diceware also.

I don't see the need for email to be Diceware. All the email accounts I have (now and previously) can be used either via an email program or via web interface, and the latter can be accessed using 1PW. But perhaps I am just lucky.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2015
    Options

Essentially, like your house, you'll need to have the key for each of the locks that stand between you and the inside. You only have one house, but you may need separate keys for the knob and deadbolt(s).

Likewise, you only have a single Master Password for your 1Password vault, but if the vault itself is behind a Dropbox or iCloud login, you'll want to have those readily available as well; and a long, strong, unique Diceware or Wordlist password is a good option. :)

• Marcellus
    Marcellus
    Community Member
    Options

Hi guys

Nowadays most people will have more than one electronic device, for instance a computer (whatever model), a smartphone, a tablet ... Does this apply to you? If yes, is it true that you love synching the vault so passwords available on each device? That's what I figured. So, let the house burn down for good (and 1Password's sake) and enjoy access to your passwords on one of your other devices, including the ones for your Dropbox and email account. So, in the end, at least one of the smallest problems is solved, after having loset your home.

Marcellus

• Ben
    Ben
    edited February 2016
    Options

Hi Marcellus,

Sorry, I'm a bit lost on the analogy. ;) But I did want to mention that since this discussion started we've announced 1Password for Families, which is an AgileBits hosted service. It may be of interest to you, and others in this thread, for a few reasons:

• It provides a convenient web interface
    • 1Password is storage provider, so there is no longer any need to memorize both your 1Password Master Password and a storage provider (Dropbox, iCloud, etc) password
    • The apps for all of the 1Password for Families supported platforms are included

You can learn more about 1Password for Families here:

1Password for Families

AgileBits Blog | Introducing 1Password for Families

I hope that helps!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.