Why isn't the "additional information" requested for forum posts included in the user profile?

Options
Bob_SF
Bob_SF
Community Member

It's tedious to type in the 1Password versions, extension versions, OS, and sync type for each forum query. Why isn't this information kept in the user profile?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:attachments

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Bob_SF: Because that would be kind of creepy...

But in all seriousness, we don't collect data on 1Password users in the first place, so it isn't possible for AgileBits to keep a dossier on you or your devices, etc.

It's entirely up to you of course whether or not you share this information. Sometimes it isn't completely relevant. But more often than not it will help us help you faster by avoiding some back and forth like, "Are you using a Mac? AgileBits or Mac App Store?" etc. I hope this helps! :)

• Bob_SF
    Bob_SF
    Community Member
    Options

"Dossier" is well beyond what I'm suggesting, which is just the auto-population of the fields requested at the bottom of each new forum question — optional but available.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Bob_SF,

If you start a new forum discussion and enter your preferred Additional Information at the bottom, you can manually save a new Login item with it that could be used to fill the Additional Information fields in future new discussions. The current selected Category and Title will also be saved with that item.

This item would basically serve as a template for new discussions. After filling with it you may need to change the Category, modify the Title, and enter the main body of text. But the Additional Information fields might remain the same.

I haven't done much testing of this since the idea just occurred to me while reading this thread, but hope you get the general idea. :)

• Bob_SF
    Bob_SF
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome, Bob!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Bob_SF: I'll also add that from a usage standpoint, often people don't access the forums from the device they are troubleshooting, so collecting this information from the browser's user agent (which should be totally doable) won't necessarily give us accurate information.

For example, you're having trouble setting up 1Password in your iPhone, but it may be simpler to work with that device while viewing the forums on your computer. And of course then the forums will be populating based on the computer's OS and browser anyway. There also isn't a way to automatically scan for the 1Password or extension versions, and frankly that's not something I'd want a website doing anyway.

Finally, user agents can be spoofed, both for privacy reasons and also for those of us who need to change this to have certain websites work better (because they are coded in such a way as to officially support one particular browser).

I hope this helps illustrate why this isn't something we attempt to do. You and I may be okay with a support site grabbing non-identifiable information such as OS and browser version to add to the publicly-viewable post, but many people would not be comfortable with that. So we prefer to have people decide for themselves what information they want to share. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.