Will you offer Chromebook support?

Sophia
Sophia
Community Member

Well, after a few years in which I strayed to an unnamed company who just sold their soul to... er... another company, I purchased the upgrade from version 1 (!) to the current version and we're here to stay now :)

I have already ported back all our family passwords and it works like a charm on hubby's desktop and my parents' computer. However my Mom uses a Chromebook and she needs a password manager to access her bank. I already know about the Dropbox link to the vault from which you can copy and paste, but she is almost 80 - it would be impossible for her to remember all that. Might as well ask her to memorize this 20 digit random password ;)

Sadly, that meant we are forced to keep Las... I mean "that company" for just ONE SINGLE password! Is there any solution to be expected any time soon?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: ChromeOS
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited October 2015

I can't answer for AgileBits, but I took the liberty of moving your post to the Lounge section, since it doesn't have anything to do with issues about saving and filling in credentials to web sites from a browser. You're more likely to get the attention your post deserves this way. I hope you don't mind.

• Sophia
    Sophia
    Community Member

Thanks hawkmoth :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Sophia: First of all, thanks for choosing 1Password! It's good to have you...back(?)! :chuffed:

For the time being at least, we're focusing our resources on our supported platforms, which have seen a lot of changes recently (Windows 10, Android M, iOS 9, OS X 10.11...) However, I do have to say that while we don't currently have plans for a ChromeOS app, it's certainly something we can consider developing in the future. Thanks for letting us know you'd find it useful! :)

• Sophia
    Sophia
    Community Member

Aww, that is sad news, but understandable. I really hope Chromebook will be supported one day, but in the meantime, we'll make do. Thanks for your reply!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for understanding. I do hope we'll have better news for you in the future, but we really don't want to expand into other platforms unless we can make them as awesome as we expect and you deserve. :blush:

• jeastbur
    jeastbur
    Community Member

Here's another vote for a Chromebook-compatible extension. I was just about to make the move from LastPass, but the lack of a fully (or partially) featured standalone Chrome extension is a deal breaker for me. I realize I can use 1PasswordAnywhere, but it is hard to justify when I have a working platform now with LP. I'll keep an eye on this and jump when it's ready!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

I wish you offered a standalone browser extension, problems like support for Chromebook and Linux would go away. I just purchased your product (got double billed, waiting to hear back from support) but I'm not sure I'll be dumping my current password manager just yet.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I realize I can use 1PasswordAnywhere, but it is hard to justify when I have a working platform now with LP. I'll keep an eye on this and jump when it's ready!

@jeastbur: Understood. I hope that we'll be able to add additional platforms in the future too! :pirate:

I wish you offered a standalone browser extension

@lgreen_chi: 1Password intentionally doesn't store your data in the browser. The 1Password browser extensions are, quite literally, extensions of the 1Password app itself. We can certainly consider going non-native in the future, but only if it doesn't have a negative impact on security and usability. Thanks for the feedback!

I see that Saad was able to help you via email, but don't hesitate to reach out if you need anything else. :)

ref: JZG-77919-495

• nycconnect
    nycconnect
    Community Member

another vote for Chromebook support. Imagining it would work like the current extension but connect directly to the file on dropbox

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@nycconnect: Thanks! We don't currently have plans for a "native" ChromeOS app, especially with the future of the platform a bit muddy with the suggestion that it may be merging with Android.

However, you may want to check out the 1Password for Teams beta, which has a web interface that works in most browsers. It's currently read-only, but we'll be adding editing features there in the future as development progresses. :)

This discussion has been closed.