Populating individual charaters from passwords

chris1850
chris1850
Community Member
edited October 2015 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi. I am new to 1Password4 and so far I am finding it very easy and intuitive. However, I have several websites where the login procedure is to enter a user name and a password on the first screen (easy enough!) but then the next screen requests, say, 3 random characters of a secondary password (not always the same three characters) eg if the secondary password was Agilebits, it might ask for chars 1,4 & 6 or 2,5 &6 etc.

My question is, how should I amend the web form field for such sites? Thanks for taking the trouble to help.

1Password Version: 4.4.3
Extension Version: Firefox 41.0.1
OS Version: OSX 10.9.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

I put the password in plain text in the notes, arranged in groups of five for easier awareness of the numbers.

Version 5.4 has just been released, with a large type option that solves this issue, but unfortunately for you 1PW5 requires Yosemite or El Capitan, and I doubt if AgileBits will add the option to 1PW4.

• AGMarshall
    AGMarshall
    1Password Alumni

@chris1850 Danco is correct in that 1Password 5.4 for Mac was just released today with a large type option that numbers the individual characters of a password, making it easy to see which character is in which position. However, as Danco mentioned, you need to be running Mac OS 10.10 or 10.11 in order to use 1Password 5 for Mac. 1Password 4 for Mac isn't being developed (as it has been replaced by 1Password 5 for Mac), so it won't be getting this feature. Can you upgrade to a more current Mac OS?

• chris1850
    chris1850
    Community Member

Hi. Thanks for your answers. I will upgrade to El Capitan shortly. Will 1Password5.4 then automatically populate random characters from a secondary password as per my original post? Currently, I am doing what Danco suggested and have the secondary password as plain text in the notes and then have to input the characters requested manually

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @chris1850,

Sadly we still can't populate the fields but we're hoping we've made it a bit easier. This post should hopefully help you visualise the improvement and we'll see if that helps :smile:

This discussion has been closed.