Can i get a refund on my bought License when i buy the AppStore Version now?

Options
RinnPhil
RinnPhil
Community Member

Hi Agilebits Team, i've bought a 1PW license a time ago. Now i'd like to switch to the MacAppStore's Version to use iCloud Sync instead of Dropbox, using the actually promo.
Is there a possibility to get a refund of my bought license from the Agilebits Store?
thx for your help

1Password Version: 5.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb:icloud-faq, kb:sync-options, kb:mac-app-store-vs-agilebits-store

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RinnPhil,

We offer a 30 day refund window for anybody that has purchased 1Password from our store, it gives the individual a period of time to discover if 1Password is a fit or not and that's on top of the 30 day trial that 1Password starts off in too. Now you purchased over two years ago so we're a bit outside that window now. As such I'm going to have to politely say that we won't be able to refund on this occasion.

I would like to ask one question if I may. At the time you purchased our Mac + Windows bundle and I'm wondering if you still use 1Password for Windows and sync between the various platforms. The reason I ask is 1Password for Windows cannot sync to iCloud either so if you do wish to sync between them then Dropbox is actually your best option. iCloud Sync will only work between OS X and iOS where you're running 1Password 5 or newer everywhere and all the devices support iCloud Drive (specifically the CloudKit framework - access to iCloud isn't enough). That means it isn't a viable option at the moment for Android or Windows.

Sorry I could offer a more positive response.

• RinnPhil
    RinnPhil
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, thanks for your answer.
    That's right, i bought WIN+MAC Bundle and used it with Dropbox Sync (in believe you'll gonna fix that Sync Problems).
    But now the WIN PC is running out of life and will not be replaced, so for my actual infrastructure (2xMacOS + 2xiOS), iCloud Sync would be the better (and probably the saver) choice.
    I don't understand at all that it's not possible to make the store-bought Version sync via iCloud. I know that it is not only your fault, but know it's me to pay for the same software once again.
    So maybe AgileBIts and Apple will fix that stupid problem... for their both customers.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Actually, particularly if you have already been using Dropbox sync, Dropbox is slightly better than iCloud sync, and I don't even think that iCloud is safer - certainly the AgileBits people who use cloud sync tend to use Dropbox.

Yes, it is a stupid problem, but Apple provide no way for AgileBits to do anything, and don't seem likely to do so.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RinnPhil,

iCloud sync is only available in the Mac App Store version of 1Password 5 for Mac because it uses Apple's CloudKit technology, which can currently only be used by apps sold through Apple's App Store. We'd absolutely love to be able to include that in the AgileBits Store version of 1Password as well, but unfortunately that's not currently possible. We have more information here: Why does iCloud require iOS 8, OS X 10.10, and the Mac App Store?

Unfortunately Apple doesn't currently provide a way to convert a license for the AgileBits Store version of 1Password to the Mac App Store version. And as littlebobbytables mentioned, you purchased your license from the AgileBits Store over two and a half years ago, so I'm afraid we aren't able to process a refund for that. If you want the Mac App Store version of 1Password, you'll need to purchase that separately.

I'd like to mention that Dropbox sync is also a great sync option, and it's how many of us here have always synced our 1Password data. 1Password is secure by design and your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so with regard to security there's no difference between syncing 1Password data with Dropbox or iCloud. 1Password simply doesn't depend on the security of either to protect your data.

Dropbox also has the advantage that it can be used to sync secondary vaults, and also share vaults with friends, family, and co-workers (it's not currently possible to share anything between iCloud accounts). And it's the only sync solution that works across all platforms supported by 1Password: Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android.

If you have more questions about that or need anything else, just let us know - we're always happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.