Why does wifi sync Android/Mac never work for me? Help please.

cjcjcj
cjcjcj
Community Member

Hi,
I can't wifi sync between my macbook and Android phone. I have read all the Support forum articles and previous questions on this subject. I never have any problems with my sync between macbook and iPad. I purchased my licences back in July and they show version 4.5.3 on my Android and 5.4 on my Mac.

I saw that another person posted a similar problem and you asked them to submit reports to yourselves via email, so unfortunately I don't know if their problem was resolved, and if so how. Maybe as a suggestion it might be useful to update the threads where someone has submitted a problem and sent in reports, with an update on what happened in the end, so that others can benefit from it.

My problem is that when I press sync on my phone I get "Can't connect. Open 1password on your computer and ensure Wi-Fi server is running". I have tried changing just about every setting on both my mac and Android that I can find. I have disabled anti virus software, firewalls, rebooted everything, re-installed 1password etc. etc........everything.

I am at a loss to think of what is going wrong..................
I have a feeling you are now going to ask me to submit some reports ;)
Thanks!

1Password Version: 5.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi there! :) Let’s figure out what’s going on with Wi-Fi sync between Android and Mac. Diagnostic reports contains sync logs that help us find common issues much faster, so we would appreciate it if you are able to send one from your Mac and Android device.

Could you point me to the forum discussion you found that relates to your issue?

Have you done anything recently that might have changed the hostname on your Mac? Did you have to reconfigure Wi-Fi sync with your iOS device recently?

It’s common for the network service to fall into a broken state and sometimes a simple reboot of both devices do the trick. Let me know if that helps!

• brettbrunk
    brettbrunk
    Community Member

I am having the same issue.
    I get a notification on my android: Syncing with WI-FI server. Discovery stopped for _1password4_tcp.
    I just sent you the diagnostic log for my Android. Running premium version of 1Password Version 4.5.3.
    I also sent you a diagnostic report for my MAC. Running premium version of 1Password Version 5.4

The syncing has worked before.

• Hey @brettbrunk. :) I've just received your reports. I'll look over them and we can continue the conversation there. Thanks!

• Charles_Haynes
    Charles_Haynes
    Community Member

I just switched to OPVault on my Mac,
    disabled Dropbox sync
    (and deleted the previous agile keychain data).
    Enabled Wireless Sync on 1Password Mac,
    Tried to sync with my Nexus 6.
    First, I discovered that there didn't appear to be any way to switch from Dropbox Sync to wireless sync. (Turning sync on and off did not seem to help.)
    So I uninstalled 1Password Android, and reinstalled it from the play store, no big deal.
    I selected wireless sync as part of the install.
    It found my mac and asked for the secret.
    I provided it, but it never synced.
    I decided to disable the VPNs on both my phone and my Mac (I typically run each of them on a VPN)
    Hooray, it synced, asked for my master password, which I provided, and successfully opened my vault.
    Success! (not so fast)
    To test that I would be able to sync again in the future, I hit "Sync" in the overflow menu.
    I got the dreaded "Can't connect. Open 1Password..." message.
    What should I do now?

• Hi @Charles_Haynes. After the initial Wi-Fi sync, did you close and reopen the Wi-Fi sync window on your Mac? If not, please go ahead and do so. Then tap sync (or pull to refresh) from 1Password on Android.

Are you still seeing the error message, or are you able to connect with the Mac now? Also, can you confirm that the Mac is in the same state it was in when you originally configured sync (disabled VPN, etc.)? Thanks!

• cjcjcj
    cjcjcj
    Community Member

Hi,
    Still no further forward with my problem of not being able to sync mac and android. Have tried everything - changed all settings on my mac and android (eg. no firewall, no anti virus , no VPN, etc.) to try and fix it - reloaded 1password on mac and android and it synced...........once....... and then without changing anything else it is back to not syncing again - "Can't connect. Open 1password on ......"
    I submitted my data as requested but the suggestions on what to try have not helped. So like Charles above I am stuck. I just tried your suggestion Peri but no joy I'm afraid - same error message every time.
    Still have no problems syncing mac to IOS (Ipad).
    Love 1Password - but not on Android.

• Sorry to hear Wi-Fi sync is still not working for you. :( Let's figure out what's going on.

Does reinstalling 1Password on Android, and then configuring Wi-Fi sync from the beginning help resolve this issue? Has the hostname on your Mac change recently?

I couldn't find the diagnostic reports you sent. Could you include a link to this thread and your forum handle in your email? We will take a look through them and let you know if we spot any problems there. Thanks very much!

• cjcjcj
    cjcjcj
    Community Member

Hi Saad - I've sent the info. to you.
    Thanks for your help!

• Thanks. We will look over the report and let you know what we find out.

• I’ll also update this thread in case someone else is experiencing this problem.

It appears the issue could be with spaces in the computer’s hostname. Although, I can’t seem to reproduce this issue with my Mac, I did notice @cjcjcj’s diagnostic report indicate it was ignoring the computer.

I asked @cjcjcj to change the Mac’s computer name to remove spaces (System Preferences > Sharing > Computer Name) and reinstall 1Password to reconfigure Wi-Fi sync. So far it sounds like this resolved the issue.

Our developers are looking into this problem. Thanks everyone for reporting it.

• @cjcjcj Just one question, what version of OS X are you using? Also, please let us know if you run into any sync problems in the meantime.

• Berglind
    Berglind
    Community Member

Wifi sync with Mac and Nexus 6x is not working. It worked fine on my previous Android device with the same macbook and on same wifi network so I'm guessing it's the device/OS version that's causing problems. I've restarted both devices and gone through the steps in support. It just keeps on retrying to scan for the network but nothing happens.

• Hi @Berglind. Thanks for getting in touch with us. I'll be happy to help get Wi-Fi sync working for you. I'd like you to attempt to sync again. Immediately after, I'd like to ask you to create some Diagnostics Reports from your Android device and your Mac:

---Android---
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/android.html

---Mac---
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/mac.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+android@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

This discussion has been closed.