Too many 1Password 5 backups

mokalatte
mokalatte
Community Member

Hello,

1Password 5.4.1 on my Mac running OS 10.10.5 is storing more backups than I would like... currently 76 backups as seen by going to Preferences-Backup-Show Files (which opens user-library-application support-1Password 4-Backups). How do I safely remove the backups to limit them to 30 daily and 24 monthly files? I use 1Password on 2 Macs and several iOS devices and sync via Dropbox.

Thanks

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: 4.4.3.90
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hey @mokalatte,

There's currently no way to automatically remove backups within the app itself. You can manually move the oldest backups to the trash if you'd like. Just make sure you no longer need them. Depending on how many items you have in your vault, this may not even be necessary — backups rarely take up a lot of space. :)

• mchapman
    mchapman
    Community Member

I have a similar problem.

In application support I have two 1P folders (1Password and 1Password 4). The first folder is 1.2 GB. The second is 273 MB. Both seem to have current files in them but no individual file is larger than 25 MB. There are many more than 1 backup per month there for the past 2 years. Usually at least 2 and sometimes as many as 5.

Can I delete one of these folders?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mchapman,

Before we do any deleting, we need to know the version of 1Password that you’re using, and more particularly whether it was purchased from the Mac App Store or the AgileBits Store. Each version of the app will store data in a different folder, and we certainly don’t want to delete the one that you’re using!

Please open 1Password, click on the 1Password menu and select ‘About 1Password’. Let us know the version number, and where you purchased 1Password. :)

• mchapman
    mchapman
    Community Member

I purchased it from the AgileBits store.

I am using version 6.2.1

Much Thanks,

Mark

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mchapman: Thanks! if you open Finder and press ⌘ ⇧ G (or click Go > Go to Folder), you can paste the following path to navigate to the backup folder:

~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/

Then delete as many of the oldest backups as you wish, keeping the more recent ones. 1Password will continue to make new backups based on your preferences in the app. I hope this helps! :)

• mchapman
    mchapman
    Community Member

Thank you I did that.

However, I still have a couple questions:

• Why do I have a 1Password folder and a 1Password 4 folder?
    • Why was 1Password keeping more than one backup a month?

Much Thanks,

Mark

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mchapman: Great question! The 1Password folder is used for 1Password 3, while the 1Password 4 folder is used for (so far) 1Password 4 and later. 1Password should always have multiple backups, but there was an issue with an older version where it wasn't always purging the oldest backups when creating new ones. I'm sorry for the trouble!

• mchapman
    mchapman
    Community Member

I am assuming that means I can safely delete the 1Password folder. What I don't understand is why it has current backups in it.

Thanks,

Mark

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2016

@mchapman: If you still have remnants of 1Password 3 installed, it continue to backup data (from an AgileKeychain vault at least). Provided you have current backups in the 1Password 4 folder, it's safe — and probably best — to remove the 1Password folder completely. It will save you a bit of space, and also avoid any confusion going forward. :)

• mchapman
    mchapman
    Community Member

Thanks. I have moved to it a temporary folder for now to see if 1Password complains.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Sounds like a plan, @mchapman! Let us know if there's anything else we can help you with. Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.