1password vs oneSafe

Options
2»

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

My opinion is always if you make a product, make one you love yourself and use yourself and you'll do fine.

Amen! :) :+1:

• redani
    redani
    Community Member
    Options

Hello 1password team, hope you're doing well!
    I'm a little tired of having dropbox only for syncing and have data available in case i lose my devices! aren't you planning to do the same thing with iCloud?
    thanks a lot
    Cheers

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2016
    Options

@redani: Doing great! Thank you! I hope you are as well! :chuffed:

It sounds like you'd prefer to use iCloud instead of Dropbox for syncing, but it sounds like there may be more to it than that since it is already posable to use iCloud to sync 1Password data between Apple devices. Can you be more specific about what you're trying to do? Thanks in advance! :)

• redani
    redani
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @brenty for your reply.
    Yes I know that it's possible to use iCloud to sync 1Password data, but last year when I purchased the app, it wasn't possible to access the synced data directly through iCloud.com. Here is a reply from november 2015:

No. Dropbox is unique in that. And with iCloud Sync, your 1Password data isn't stored in the filesystem (a la iCloud Drive); rather, it uses CloudKit, which is only accessible to the apps using Apple's sync APIs. You'd need a device that supports iCloud and has 1Password installed to access the data.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@redani: Ah, thanks for clarifying. It sounds like you're referring to accessing 1PasswordAnywhere through the web browser. Actually, Dropbox has made some changes this past year and combined with browser security restrictions which have tightened since 2009 this is no longer possible there anymore either.

Currently the only way to access 1Password data through a web interface is using the subscription service, which hosts the data on 1Password.com:

1Password.com

I hope this helps!

• redani
    redani
    Community Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

@brenty: Ah OK, so i'll switch back to iCloud!
    I'm a little confused now, 1Password is not a 1 time purchase anymore??? it became a monthly subscription?

• Hi @redani ,

We support both methods of purchasing. You can purchase it outright or you can get a 1Password account and pay a subscription. There are some differences. With a subscription, you get a 1Password account on our servers and sync to that, rather than iCloud or Dropbox. Here are some other differences:

1. Secure web access. Because AgileBits hosts your data, we can provide secure web access.
    2. All apps and upgrades are included. With a subscription you will not be charged for apps or app upgrades on any platform.
    3. Sync without using another service. 1Password automatically syncs with 1Password's servers. Because we control the servers we can optimize the sync process and it works much smoother, and there's no extra setup after signing into your account.
    4. Item History - like Time Machine, if you make changes to your items and want to go back to a previous version, you can do that.
    5. Automatic Backup - we do the backups for you. So if your machine gets lost, stolen, or just breaks, and you don't have a backup, your data is still safe.
    6. Multi-factor security - we take extra steps to ensure that your data is secure. AgileBits can not even read it. You can read more about it at 1Password.com/security.

If you have further questions, please let us know.

Regards,
    Kevin

• redani
    redani
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @Kevin for you detailed reply!
    Well, it sounds interesting but what would people who already spent 50$ to purchase OSX and iOS apps do? :scream:

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @redani

On behalf of Kevin, you're welcome!

Right now you can get a personal 1Password account and use it for free for the first 6 months! One of the main things we had in mind when we decided to offer this special was to make it easier for all our existing costumers to start enjoying 1Password Accounts! If you feel like giving this a shot you can sing up for an Account in 1Password.com :chuffed:

• redani
    redani
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @Pilar for following up.
    Yes I know, i saw that you offer the first 6 months for free, but still, i doesn't make me feel different from other people who didn't spend a signe penny on the app!! :/
    So i guess i'll just stick with the version I have!!
    Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@redani: If you already have what you need, then certainly there's no reason to purchase anything else. But I think it’s important to keep in mind that when you and I spend our hard-earned money on something we want or need right away, and others get a deal by waiting…well, we’ve had access to the thing all along, and enjoyed its benefits — whether it be 1Password or the new iPad I could have saved a few hundred bucks on by waiting longer. Someone else getting a deal doesnt take anything away from us. There’s a cost involved, but also a benefit. So you’ve been able to 1Password for all this time while perhaps others couldn’t. Better late than never. :chuffed:

• redani
    redani
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @brenty and thanks for your message
    I perfectly understand your point of view, and you're totally right! maybe i should have waited 10 months :)
    Well, i may be interested in subscription version to be able to access 1Password anywhere without having my iPhone or Mac! and I just find it very unfortunate that it was possible before, and not anymore now!! that is a very important feature coz the whole point of 1Password is to save all dat in one place and access it anywhere anytime easily!
    And to be perfectly honest with you, if I knew things will turn that way, I would have picked Dashlane from the beginning, I preferred paying a 1 shot app rather than a subscription! So yes, i'm a little disappointed with this situation!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2016
    Options

I perfectly understand your point of view, and you're totally right! maybe i should have waited 10 months :)

@redani: Whoa, whoa, whoa! Let's not get crazy. That's 10 months without 1Password. That' a long 10 months! :lol:

I guess I don't understand why you'd be disappointed. The only thing we've changed is that we offer a subscription option now alongside licenses so folks can choose the one that suits them best. And it sounds like you have already done just that. Cheers! :)

• redani
    redani
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Let's not get crazy. That's 10 months without 1Password. That' a long 10 months!

Haha, I've lived over 15 years without 1Password, 10 more months wont change anything :D

I'm disappointed about the fact that i can't access data through a browser anymore, and that the only way to do so is the subscription plan!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for clarifying that - we didn't realize you were specifically referring to the old 1PasswordAnywhere feature when you said you were disappointed. That was definitely a cool feature, and I'm sorry you miss it! I completely understand why you don't want to sign up for a 1Password account just to continue having web access to your data.

As you may have already read in other threads, 1PasswordAnywhere was an old feature designed years ago (originally around 2008), built into the old Agile Keychain format, relied on older Dropbox APIs, and had very limited capabilities (it never had the ability to edit data or create new items, and the interface was a basic, shallow copy of 1Password 3). It also had much weaker security than the main 1Password apps because 1PasswordAnywhere is a JavaScript app that can easily be modified to do malicious things. It was a great solution back when security concerns were less severe, but unfortunately that's no longer the case.

As Brenty mentioned above, Dropbox made some changes earlier this year which caused 1PasswordAnywhere to stop working on Dropbox.com. To be honest, I'm surprised 1PasswordAnywhere continued to work there as long as it did, because Dropbox made changes over the years which should have caused 1PasswordAnywhere to stop working a long time ago. We're incredibly grateful and fortunate that they were able to make exceptions for 1PasswordAnywhere as long as they did! But security concerns today are much more severe than they used to be, and improvements to their security architecture meant those exceptions could no longer be made. It was the right decision as well as a necessary one.

The new, fully-featured web app included with a 1Password account is far more secure, advanced, and easier to use than 1PasswordAnywhere. It's just one of the many great features and benefits you get with an account, but if web access is the only feature of an account that you're interested in, I can understand why it might not seem like the right fit for you. However, please know that you can sign up for an account and try it out for free, so there's nothing to lose if you simply want to check it out to see what it's like.

I'm sorry again for any disappointment! I hope this at least helps to explain the situation a bit more. If you have questions about that or need anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know. :)

• redani
    redani
    Community Member
    Options

Hu @Drew_AG and thanks for the detailed explanation, and i did understand well the situation! it's just that these changes are a little disappointing and i'm sure it doesn't please many customers who already purchased the app...
    I'll give a try to the new one and will think about it!

Regards

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome! Glad to hear you're going to try out a 1Password account. I hope you enjoy it, and if you have any questions about it, we're here for you. :)

• redani
    redani
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    I tried to use 1Password account subscription but it created a conflict with my current version!!

1- Do I have to reenter all the data or is there a way to import/ export them?

2- I've been asked to download the Emergency Kit that contains this unique key. So what will happen if I loose all my devices and want to connect from a public computer to retrieve some infos ?? I'm not supposed to carry this emergency kit with me all the time and everywhere!

3- except the fact that i can access data online and recover deleter items, what are the benefits of using 1Password account over regular app?

Thanks

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @redani

I'm sorry to hear that you're still having some trouble with 1Password, let's get to your questions one at a time :chuffed:

1- Do I have to reenter all the data or is there a way to import/ export them?

There is for sure a way to import it! You can find the detailed instructions on how to do this here.

2- I've been asked to download the Emergency Kit that contains this unique key. So what will happen if I loose all my devices and want to connect from a public computer to retrieve some infos ?? I'm not supposed to carry this emergency kit with me all the time and everywhere!

The Emergency Kit is, well for emergencies. You should print it and keep it somewhere safe, for example a safe deposit Box. If you happen to lose all your devices then your best bet would be for you to retrieve the Emergency Kit from the safe place where you've stored it.

3- except the fact that i can access data online and recover deleter items, what are the benefits of using 1Password account over regular app?

All the information can be found here: https://1password.com/sign-up/ . Amongst others, some perks of having the account is that you don't ever have to worry about syncing, it's done automatically, and that you always get the full, latest version of the apps.

If you have any other questions or there's anything else that you'd like to know, we're here for you :chuffed:

• redani
    redani
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @Pilar for your message.

The Emergency Kit is, well for emergencies. You should print it and keep it somewhere safe, for example a safe deposit Box. If you happen to lose all your devices then your best bet would be for you to retrieve the Emergency Kit from the safe place where you've stored it.

Let's say I'm traveling somewhere very far and lost all my devices, what's the point of having a 1Password account if I can't access data anywhere anytime with ease?? And it's totally pointless to put the emergency kit in the safe!!!
    I think you should give the possibility to either approuve the connection from a new device by email (which will require to remember 2 passwords: 1Password and mailbox) or by entering the emergency kit.

Amongst others, some perks of having the account is that you don't ever have to worry about syncing, it's done automatically, and that you always get the full, latest version of the apps.

It's actually the case already right now if I'm not mistaken, it's possible to sync data automatically between my Mac and iPhone, isn't it?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Let's say I'm traveling somewhere very far and lost all my devices, what's the point of having a 1Password account if I can't access data anywhere anytime with ease?? And it's totally pointless to put the emergency kit in the safe!!!

@redani: Let's be honest: If you're traveling and lose everything, you have much bigger problems than not having your Emergency Kit. Even if you have your Emergency Kit with you, accessing your 1Password data (or any sensitive information) from an untrusted device (public computers, for example) is not safe, and not something we recommend.

That said, as with the Emergency Kit, the decision is yours because your data is yours. We're not saying you have to keep it in a safe deposit box, or that you can't choose to access your account somewhere unsafe. We just don't want to suggest that people do things that we wouldn't feel comfortable doing. I'm also not sure that we can (or should) try to design 1Password to accommodate each and every hypothetical scenario. That is the path to madness! Instead, we focus on making 1Password secure and useful.

I think you should give the possibility to either approuve the connection from a new device by email (which will require to remember 2 passwords: 1Password and mailbox) or by entering the emergency kit.

Email is insecure by design. I don't think this is something we'll do, but perhaps we can come up with other options.

It's actually the case already right now if I'm not mistaken, it's possible to sync data automatically between my Mac and iPhone, isn't it?

While you can use Dropbox (for example) to sync your 1Password data, what Pilar means is that a 1Password subscription requires no sync configuration (or license management) — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. There's no separate sync service to sign up for, login to, install, etc.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions! :)

• redani
    redani
    Community Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Hi @brenty and thanks for you reply.

Let's be realistic and practical :)
    If I lose my devices (not passport) it's not a big deal and shouldn't freak out. I gave an example of losing but it could be just dropping my phone in the water (still no iPhone 7) as I've already did several times with my cameras :S
    1Password is an amazing app, but it makes our brain lazy as we don't train it anymore to remember passwords and we become completely depends on the app!
    With that said, with 1Password account, we have more chances to access data if we lose our device(s) but I'm just trying to figure out an easy way to access data anywhere without the constraint of this emergency kit!! But I guess it's not possible, right??

What would you do if you ever lose your device (hope that won't happen to you) and need to access 1Password to get some passwords??

Cheers

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@redani: Thanks so much for following up! I like "realistic and practical"! :lol:

I'll admit it: it may be a failure of imagination on my part, but when I think of both hypothetical emergency situations and those I've already lived through, I'm far beyond the point where 1Password can help me.

This may be a stretch, but it strikes me as Maslowe's-Hierarchy-of-needs-esque, where there are basic psychological or physiological issues that need to be addressed in a true emergency. 1Password is an incredible tool, but if I completely lost access to it today, I could recover. To be clear, it would be a huge setback, and it could take me weeks or months to go through and reset all of my (now lost) passwords to regain access to everything, but I could do it. 1Password makes my life much easier, but my life doesn't depend on 1Password. And I don't think it should, because 1Password also depends on some pretty complex things we take for granted: electricity, hardware, OSes, and, often, internet access. Any of these could fail us or become unavailable. I guess that's my particular brand of paranoia. ;)

I feel like there are 1Password emergencies (where we've lost or forgotten our Master Password, etc.) and then there are actual emergencies (where we or our loved ones are in physical, mental, or financial jeopardy). But while I'm struggling to come up with a concrete example of needing to access 1Password in an actual emergency, I still want to try to answer your fundamental question: What would I do?

So let's just accept the premise that I desperately need to access my 1Password Account under certain circumstances, but I've lost all of my authorized devices. While I have relatively easy access to my locked up Emergency Kit when I'm home, I think it makes sense for me to make special arrangements for travel. That could mean writing down just the Account Key somewhere inconspicuous and keeping it on my person, and/or entrusting the Emergency Kit to a close relative. And of course in the latter case, that's also useful if I don't survive my trip due to some misfortune... :scream:

This isn't something I've felt a need for (yet?) though, because, believe it or not, a lot of people still get by in this world without credit cards or even a digital presence of any kind. Not long ago, all of us were in that same position. So while technology makes my life much more fun and interesting, and brings conveniences I never dreamed of as a kid, we don't yet live in a world where it's impossible to cope without it.

But ultimately that's just me. What I do with my data is my choice, and I think you're entitled to the same! The best security is the security you're willing and able to use. So we want to offer some good tools, and let everyone use them in their own lives as they see fit. :sunglasses:

• redani
    redani
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @brenty and sorry for the late response, was crazily busy... :S

Well, let's say i'm convinced and ready to move on, but i still have trouble to believe I'll lose more than $50 and i'll have to pay again. Can you please put me through someone in sales, or maybe someone can contact me by email?

Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@redani: Hey, no worries! We're here whenever you need us. ;)

I'm not sure I follow the part where you "lose more than $50", but you're welcome email us at support+licenses@agilebits.com and we'll see what we can do to help. Cheers! :)

• redani
    redani
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Likewise! We'll be in touch! :)

ref: QQM-81638-381

This discussion has been closed.