I lost my Android cellphone, is my data safe?

BXIA
BXIA
Community Member

I know 1Password is protected by strong algorithm, but I must consider the worst case. I lost my cellphone on a cab without enabling global encryption of the flash memory in system settings. I'm afraid that someone may take my cellphone and look what's inside... I store all my sensitive passwords & credit cards in 1Password, that can be a mess.

I totally understand that AES-256 is a safe algorithm, but the point is the Android system itself. If someone flash a new recovery image to bypass the screen lock and take everything else, I'm afraid that 1P might store master passwords locally improve convenience (features like PIN, fingerprint etc.).

Other apps, like Google, do they store plain passwords or hash in local storage? I'm kinda worry about this because the file permission system of Linux can be invalid if the whole OS is bypassed.

Hopefully I'm wrong!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• BXIA
    BXIA
    Community Member

Hopefully 1P stores passwords in hash with salt, any algorithms except MD5 and SHA-1 will be fine!

• I’m really sorry to hear you lost your phone :( I hope you are able to recover it!

1Password is designed with several features that protect your data, even if your device is stolen. I recommend reading through this article to help you move forward and change necessary passwords for your lost device:

https://support.1password.com/lost-device/

1Password for Android does not store your master password locally, even when PIN unlock is enabled. The master password is used to decrypt your encryption key, which is the key used to decrypt your data. While 1Password is running and your vault has been unlocked, the encryption key may be in memory so you are able to access your items. It is cleared from memory once you exit 1Password or when 1Password is stopped some other way (for example, when the OS needs to free up resource).

Please let us know if you have any other questions. We are here for you. :)

• BXIA
    BXIA
    Community Member

@saad Thank you! That helps a lot.

• You're very welcome! :)

This discussion has been closed.