Universal Lock

Options
Mordachai
Mordachai
Community Member
edited November 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

It's obnoxious to use on the Android - I have to retype the master password every single time I do any little twiddling twaddling damn thing. My master password is LON*G - because it's a master password. This is insufferable on a hunt & peck idiotic little dumb ass android.

WHERE IS THE OPTION TO ONLY UNLOCK ONCE PER BOOT?!

(latest version downloaded today)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:keep unlocked

Comments

• Mordachai
    Mordachai
    Community Member
    Options

I went digging - but it appears that one cannot unlock the main 1password app from within a browser-plug-in? (the opposite works).
    Or did I miss something (this is on PC / Win10)

• peri
    edited November 2015
    Options

Hey @Mordachai. You can certainly link the app and browser so that they lock and unlock together.

Open the Preferences panel and click on the Browsers tab. At the bottom, you'll see "When unlocking the application, also unlock 1Password in the browser." Check that box and both the browser extension and main app should unlock when the other is unlocked. :)

You can read a little more about these settings here:
    https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows/4/en/topic/browsers-tab

• Mordachai
    Mordachai
    Community Member
    Options

That's checked - and the opposite works for me - i.e. if I unlock the main app - the browser plug-ins don't require my master - they're unlocked. But if I go to do something without unlocking first - and unlock it in the browser plug-in (chrome), the main one never unlocks. If i have to look something up - I have to give it the master pass again (since you can't look stuff up in the plug-in, just use it more as a fill feature / new pass generator).

I'll look at your link to see if I'm missing something - but that's how its been working for me.

• Mordachai
    Mordachai
    Community Member
    Options

Okay - should have read that first - but my guess is that despite there being a system tray applet present - the main 1password app isn't running when I unlock on the browser - hence the "universal unlock" always fails (because I haven't launched the main app).

I guess I can set the main app to auto-launch via start menu or some such. Seems like that should be an option too: start 1password with Windows (login).

• Mordachai
    Mordachai
    Community Member
    Options

Hmmm... task manager indicates that C:\Program Files (x86)\1Password 4\1password.exe is set to auto-launch. So... ?

• Indeed, both the mini and the main app have to be running in order for the Master Password to get passed from one to the other. It sounds like 1Password was exited on your device which is why this didn't work for you.

On Windows 10, navigate to the Task Manager. If necessary, click 'More details' to see all of the tabs. Then select the Startup tab. Make sure 1Password is checked here to open on startup. :)

• Mordachai
    Mordachai
    Community Member
    Options

I am still flummoxed by this particular problem.
    I have checked - on both my home and office PCs, 1P4 is set to auto-start - verified in Task Manager - both the tray applet and the main exe. In both cases, I get a tray icon, locked, and 1P4 is NOT running (i.e. on the task bar, the icon is black, meaning not-running-now). When I use a browser to unlock 1P4 - it always only unlocks the browser plug in. If I use that menu to "open 1P4" - I am again forced to enter the master password to get into the main app.
    There must be a way to get this to work, but as far as I can tell - 1p4 auto-closes itself at startup - so that only the tray applet is running, and not the main program (maybe it runs long enough to check for updates? it is running - since it has a "high" impact on start up, but it isn't still running by the time the system gives me control after logging in).
    Ideas?
    I really dislike having to unlock this thing multiple times - arthritis and such. The onus shouldn't be on me to have to always manually start 1p4 and unlock that first before running a web browser. It's just bass-ackwards to how one normally uses a PC and passwords.
    Thanks for any ideas you might have...

• Mordachai
    Mordachai
    Community Member
    Options

I can add to the above: after I unlock it in chrome browser plug-in, the tray applet icon switches to unlocked. However, if I then click on "Open 1Password" from the chrome plug-in, I get prompted for the master password. Identically, after unlocking in chrome, if I manually run 1Password from my task bar / Start menu, I am prompted for the master password. This is true regardless of whether I have set "use secure desktop" in preferences (both ways force me to enter the master password - so no change).

I suspect that this should be escalated to a bug report.

Again, this is Win10 x64, two different PCs, identical behavior, and I've tried various preferences per your recommendations and by way of experimentation.

Thanks for your help - I hope this helps your devs - love the product overall and the easier it is to use will go a long ways towards being able to get others hooked on it as a supperior way to managing passwords and helping folks to have & use unique strong passwords for all of their 'net business.

• Hi @Mordachai. Since we've resolved the Android issue, I've moved your thread over here to the Windows channels. Hopefully @MikeT or another one of our awesome Windows gurus will be able to help out here soon. :)

• Mordachai
    Mordachai
    Community Member
    Options

@peri Thank you. Much appreciated your support for the Android bit (resolved). ;D

• Hi @Mordachai,

I went through the entire conversation here but I am not sure about one thing, you said 1Password is auto-closing itself upon reboot, do you mean 1Password.exe is no longer running or is it just minimizing to the taskbar?

For security and technical reasons, we simply cannot unlock the main program as long as it is not running and from everything you said, this is working as if the main program wasn't running as soon as the computer boots up. If we can fix that, the rest should work as expected.

As for the notification tray app, that is 1Password Helper, its sole job is to communicate with your browser extensions and its status icon is for the extensions only, it does not reflect the main program.

Can you follow my instructions in this post and see if it works for you.

• Mordachai
    Mordachai
    Community Member
    Options

Will do, thanks

• You're welcome. Hopefully, that'll work out for your need.

• Mordachai
    Mordachai
    Community Member
    Options

That does work.
    I would suggest that 1password4 offer a preference to do this for you. "start with windows" or somesuch. I know you guys are launching to some degree - so just do whatever is also done by putting a link in the start menu.
    My 2c. Thanks for the help, and great product overall!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Any time! On behalf of MikeT and Peri, you are most welcome! We can certainly consider adding an option to launch 1Password on startup in the future. Thanks for the feedback! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.