What's the future of your perpetual licenses?

Options
wkleem
wkleem
Community Member

If Abobe is any indication, and Agilebits isn't Adobe, I still need to ask if you will have a dual track offering perpetual and monthly? Adobe has eliminated perpetual licenses.

So far 1Password supports only the current OS, which says nothing of the payment mode.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@wkleem I have deleted your duplicate post so we can keep the discussion in one thread.

Stephen

• AGMarshall
    AGMarshall
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem So we are offering two products:

1. The 1Password product that we have been offering for years that is the 1Password personal version. This is the version with a one-time license charge per platform. And you receive free updates for the version number you purchase, with the possibility of an upgrade fee once a new version number comes out. For example, if you purchase a 1Password 5 for Mac license (current version), you receive point updates (1Password 5.x for Mac) for free. We plan on continuing to offer this version of 1Password without a subscription (the pricing model you are used to).

2. The newly introduced 1Password for Teams that is currently in a free Beta. 1Password for Teams will have a monthly subscription based on the number of users.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the clarification. It had been unclear to me if the Personal Edition version will disappear in favour of the Team version?

Look at what Microsoft is doing to Win 10. Free for one year for upgraders? There is uncertainty beyond that.

• AGMarshall
    AGMarshall
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem Our current plans are to keep the 1Password personal (the version that has been around for years) as-is and offer 1Password for Teams on a subscription basis. Not everyone wants 1Password for Teams, nor does everyone want to pay for a subscription. We understand this.

Consider that 1Password for Teams uses the same local applications as 1Password personal (i.e., 1Password 5 for Mac, 1Password 6 for iOS, and soon to be the Windows and Android versions of 1Password). Which means these applications will be around for a long time! :chuffed:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! @AGMarshall

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.