How do I get 1Password to work properly after re-installing from Apple App Store?

Options
ld101007
ld101007
Community Member

1Password was not working properly, so I uninstalled according to the directions on your website and re-installed from the Apple App Store according to the directions on your website. When I select the 1Password icon in my applications, it does not behave as if it was newly installed. The usual password window appears with the lock icon and it will not accept my password, so I'm locked out. No doubt that I am using the correct password and checked that the caps lock is off. Also cannot make a new vault because that choice on the menu is greyed out. Tried restoring from a Time Machine backup and that did not resolve the problem. It continued not accepting the password and not letting me create a new vault.. Tried re-booting the computer. Tried everything I could think of. Please help me be able to used 1Password again. Thank you.

1Password Version: 5.4
Extension Version: 4.4.4
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: none
Referrer: ug:mac/create-a-new-vault, ug:mac/installing-from-the-mac-app-store-mas, kb-search:password lost, kb:master-password-not-accepted, kb:starting-over

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @ld101007,

It sounds like 1Password has found data elsewhere and in a bid to be helpful has assumed this is what you wanted. As you've discovered, this isn't always the case and we do know this is something needing improved on.

For the moment though does the Lock screen happen to look like this?

If it does please not the part of the image I've underlined. That is actually clickable and when you do it will bring up the following menu.

In here you can instruct 1Password to use data from a different source or even to stop bothering you and let you create a brand new vault altogether.

If this isn't what you're seeing then we need to double check the How do I start over with an empty vault? process with you. Each part is quite crucial. If you don't quit 1Password mini at the start with 1Password then it holds onto the vault which you really don't want. The restarting of the Mac is due to the caching that occurs in modern OSes that can result in deleted files still being in memory and an OS X that doesn't behave as if they were deleted. Just to double check, if you have ever run the AgileBits Store version as well as the Mac App Store one then it would be worth trying to follow the instructions for both sets - make sure no data is present in either location.

Hopefully something here helps get things properly kick started again but please do let us know how you get along.

• ld101007
    ld101007
    Community Member
    Options

Hello littlebobbytables,

Thank you for your reply. I tried your suggestion to follow the instructions for the AgileBits Store version as well as the Mac App Store one, and it worked! Perfectly! So happy to be able to be able to use 1Password once again. Thanks so much for your invaluable help.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Fantastic news @ld101007 :smile: If you have any other issues or even just questions please don't hesitate to post and we'll do our best to impress once again :smile:

This discussion has been closed.