Frustrated. US Bank changed login procedure and I can no longer use 1Password. HELP!

Options

New US Bank process: Use 1PW to input ID. Instead of accepting the ID and opening a new page, the new process keeps the same web page but modifies the upper right section of that page when it asks for the password. Clicking on 1PW to input the US Bank password does nothing. Copy and paste doesn't work either. Well, it does copy the password but it is NOT concealed in the password box. It is quite visible. I changed the website for the password insertion to the same website used to input the customer ID to no avail. 1PW could still not input the password. Only option I can use without your help is to manually input the password. Hope this is clear.
cab

1Password Version: 5.40046
Extension Version: ?
OS Version: 10.11.1
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: kb:change-passwords-without-pasting

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Just checking to see if you have tried the instructions here: How to manually save a Login. This often helps when a web site changes how they handle receiving credentials. It's at least worth a try.

One other thing you might do is post the offending URL here, if there isn't something confidential about the URL itself. Someone with more knowledge than I have about how web pages are constructed would at least be able to take a look and see what the possibilities might be.

• cab
    cab
    Community Member
    Options

The URL is https://www.usbank.com/index.html

My login is saved. Not sure manually save a login will get me where I hope to go. Words are so much better than hammering this out - but, my process for accessing the bank was: Click 1PW to enter ID and when the website changed to the password page, Click 1PW to enter the password (two step process). That worked until this morning. This morning I clicked to enter my ID and the website page did not change. However, the top right section of the page did change to ask for the password. 1PW (the second step above) was not able to input the password at that point and copy / paste did not work.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Following the instructions to manually save a login, according to the directions I linked, helps 1Password learn all the various under-the-hood features that the web site has. Saving a login in the usual fashion doesn't get all that included. That's why I suggested following those particular directions.

I'm sure someone who knows more about web site structure will be along shortly to add insights to this thread.

• cab
    cab
    Community Member
    Options

Hawkmoth - well, I followed the manual instructions. Specifically, I Clicked 1PW to enter my ID. When the password request from the bank appeared, I manually entered the password and clicked Save New Login (manual instructions). I then attempted to enter the site by Clicking on the ID, and by Clicking 1PW to enter the password (manually saved per above) with no results. That is, the password would lot load to allow entry into the website. Thanks for your suggestion, it had hoped it might work.

• cab
    cab
    Community Member
    Options

OK. I've talked with US Bank and they were of little help. I have a work around to log in that involves three steps within 1PW.
    1. Enter ID.
    2.. When password screen opens use "open and fill" to enter password. At this point I receive a single line of text on an otherwise blank white screen. I am not into the site yet.
    3. Lastly, re enter the password with "open and fill." This final step gets me into the site. If possible for an AgileBit support person to email me I'd like to pursue this off line a little more. I'm hoping, while it may be very specific to this site, there is a way to eliminate step 2 above. Thanks for your consideration of my request.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@cab - You can probably short circuit your wait for a response from an AgileBits support person if you send email to support+forum@agilebits.com. Include a link to this forum thread and give any other information that you are reluctant to post publicly. You will receive an automated response that contains a support ticket number. You can help the staff connect your message to this discussion if you post that ticket number back here in this thread.

Banks. for some reason, are often the worst sites to deal with for password managers. For some reason, they appear to believe using them compromises security, when the reverse is actually true.

• cab
    cab
    Community Member
    Options

Hawkmoth - I appreciate your support above. Email has been sent.

• @cab - Thanks, we have received your email and will reply shortly.

ref: SJV-51916-917

• Rob Radencic
    Rob Radencic
    Community Member
    Options

US Bank keeps changing their login pages. Every month, it seems like I'm having more and more trouble logging in using 1Password. The latest issue is that 1Password fills in my username in both the username and password fields.

On the US Bank login page, it only shows a username field. 1Password fills in my username. On the next page, US Bank asks for my password. 1Password fills in my username again, even though my correct password is in 1Password!

I've spoken to customer service at US Bank to complain and their response was that they will never support password management software such as 1Password because they (stupidly) believe 1Password makes customer data less secure. What they don't realize is that without password management software, everybody uses easy to crack passwords and people probably use the same password on every site... and that's not secure at all.

I think I need to find a new bank, though that's such a hassle. US Bank is awful.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sorry for the trouble, @Rob Radencic. US Bank is one of our most commonly reported problem sites. Unfortunately, without an account, we can't inspect the second page of the login process to see where we can improve.

First, have you tried saving a login dedicated to the second step of the login process like this?

The other thing that I would be interested in (depending on what that second page looks like) is to save a new login in the 1Password application rather than using the browser extension and see how that works.

Finally, if you still have trouble, could you create a Web archive file of the password page and send it to us at support+forum@agilebits.com with a link to this thread? This will let us take a limited look at the page and hopefully make it obvious what improvements we can make.

Thanks!

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

• Mike7
    Mike7
    Community Member
    Options

US Bank still has login issues. I recently upgraded to 1 Password 6 and cannot use 1Password to login. I have created a user id login and a password login to accommodate the user id page and password page for US Bank. This is the only site that 1Password does not work. I am still happy with 1Password. I am just annoyed with US Bank.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I hear you, @Mike7. Unfortunately, we don't have anyone on the team anymore that has a valid US Bank account, so it's going to be a little tougher diagnosing the problems. The ways that sites, especially financial sites it seems, invent ways to pretend at improving security never cease to amaze me. :(

This discussion has been closed.