Usability issues on Android version

Options
iQd
iQd
Community Member

Hi,

After using CodeWallet for many years and after a long consideration, I decided to choose 1Password as my main store for all my sensitive personal and business related info. I run multiple businesses in the field of software design.

I am using the application on a Samsung Edge+.
It has been working fine and I like it, however a few things have started to be very annoying in regular use.

Already with the old CodeWallet, a very annoying thing when entering a long set of information was auto close.
It did not care that I was using the application continuously, after a certain period of time it just quit and ALL you just entered disappeared.
I always considered it as a bug and an example of poor user experience. Ofcourse the application should see that I am using it - what kind of crazy logic would say that it is ok to close right now - no matter how long time I have used it?
On 1Password I hoped that this would be different and done 'right', and it would be understood by the application that if I am using it right now - don't quit!

I was wrong, and you can imagine my frustration after entering a long set of codes when 1Password just locked and asked for the master password. This happened in the middle of writing!
I entered my master password and... I lost all that I wrote.
What kind of logic says that this is ok?
With a straight face can you say this is a good way for an application to work?

I understand that if I am not using the application for the set period of time it locks.
That is fine and very ok. But in the middle of writing?

So now I have to do like on the old Windows Mobile application; write the stuff on notepad, copy, open 1Password and paste.
Too bad the sensitive data on the notepad is not wiped so it is possible to dig it out afterwards.

I see this not only as an example of flawed user interface design, but also a security issue.

This is highly annoying and gives all the time the unreliable feeling that I need to save the info every minute just to make sure I don't again lose my time and have to re-enter everything.

Another thing that I consider being a clear bug is when I am writing a note, an event such as a call, calendar notification etc comes up and moves the application to background...
Again - I lose all that I wrote on the note!
So this makes me want to restrict entering a long set of information in night-time when the likelihood of such event is lower.

Another thing which I would like to see improved is the types of information I can enter.
The existing categories do not cover half of the types of information I need to enter, so I need to be creative in what I enter and where.
This just creates general confusion and makes the information inside one category mismatched.
I have to separate a different information type with a prefix on the name so that they stay together on the list. Not logical anymore.

I understand that the application cannot have all the categories in the universe.
However the current set of categories is very low and missing a good amount of obvious data types that users may want to enter.
With CodeWallet this was solved in such way that one could create new categories, choose an icon and be done with it.
Categories could also have sub-categories. Think about that.
I expected 1Password to be more advanced than this, however I was a bit disappointed about the lack of flexibility in terms of category management.

Where would you suggest I can enter a bunch of mobile SIM cards?
As logins?
How about all physical door keys' ID numbers?
I have to keep track of that kind of stuff. I cannot be the only one who uses keys and have to keep track which employee has what key?

The application has even a outdoors license category which seems a bit out of place comparing to other category types 1Password offers.

The lack of category management I can live with, however the losing of data is what makes me see red after realizing that I again lost time for nothing.

A kick-a$$ functionality to add one day would be the possibility to attach files on the data items.
This way I could just take a picture and not start writing the information.
Also the possiblity to import files from the filesystem to be stored on the secure vault, then wiped from the filesystem.
This kind of functionality would make at least my life so much easier and I would love to see something like this on 1Password one day.

What I love about 1Password is that my data is mine. I don't have to give myself a headache and a security risk by letting the data go on ANY cloud or external server of which absolutely none I really trust. I can trust only myself and good that I can continue doing like this with 1Password.
I will keep using 1Password until the unforeseeable future, but as mentioned I would like to see some obvious improvements on the user experience side.

Thank you!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @iQd. Thanks for getting in touch with us and for your support of 1Password. :)

I am using the application on a Samsung Edge+. It has been working fine and I like it

That's great and I'm glad you're enjoying using 1Password 4 for Android so far!

I was wrong, and you can imagine my frustration after entering a long set of codes when 1Password just locked and asked for the master password. This happened in the middle of writing! I entered my master password and... I lost all that I wrote.

As long as you're actively using 1Password (i.e. it's unlocked and active in the foreground), 1Password should stay unlocked on your device. However, if it's inactive (if say, you're entering data but pause and stop actively using 1Password), your device display may time out. If the display times out then 1Password will be moved to the background, which does indeed mean that you'll need to log back in, unless you have Lock on exit set to OFF in the security settings. However, 1Password does not timeout while editing. That is, there's nothing in our app that would cause 1Password to lock or timeout while you're actively using it. The only way it would lock is if the device times out due to inactivity. If that's the case here, I recommend altering your device display settings to allow more time to pass before the screen times out.

I've tested this on my own devices and wasn't able to reproduce the problem you're describing. As long as I'm actively using the app, it stays unlocked and active on the device. Are you using a custom ROM or is your device rooted by chance?

That said, we have received a few requests from users who would like it if 1Password automatically saved drafts as items are being edited. I'll go ahead and add your vote for this feature. :)
    ref: OPA-444

Another thing which I would like to see improved is the types of information I can enter.

Custom categories is another feature that's often requested on all platforms. I'll go ahead and add your vote for this as well.
    ref: FR-85

Where would you suggest I can enter a bunch of mobile SIM cards?

How about all physical door keys' ID numbers?

This is up to you to do as you see best. For a lot of things like PIN codes, garage door codes, etc., where there's no specific category for them, I personally tend to save them as Secure Notes. If you find a category with fields that match what you're trying to save, you might prefer to save those items in that category.

A kick-a$$ functionality to add one day would be the possibility to attach files on the data items.

This way I could just take a picture and not start writing the information.
    Also the possiblity to import files from the filesystem to be stored on the secure vault, then wiped from the filesystem.

Adding the ability to attach items is another thing we often receive requests for on mobile platforms (iOS and Android). I'll go ahead and add your vote for that functionality, too.
    ref: OPA-269

In the meantime, it is possible to add attachments using 1Password on Mac and Windows. If you have access to a Mac or Windows computer, you could install 1Password on that device. The app is free for 30 days with full functionality, during which time you could add as many attachments as you like, and sync them over to Android.

Thanks for the feedback! I hope I've addressed your concerns, but please let us know if you have any further questions or comments. :lol:

This discussion has been closed.