Will 1PasswordAnywhere support come to the opvault format?

Jolin Warren
Jolin Warren
Community Member

Hello,

I realise that opvault is the format of the future. I just converted my vault to this new format following the instructions on the website as I thought there was no reason not to. I was also curious to see if the 1PasswordAnywhere interface would receive an update in this new format. Imagine my surprise to find that it was completely gone! I don't use 1PasswordAnywhere often, but when I do it's a lifesaver. Are there any plans to add this feature back to the opvault format?

Thanks,
Jolin

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: 4.4.4
OS Version: 10.11.1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @Jolin Warren,

Sadly I don't know the answer to this. A certain amount of focus will be on 1Password for Teams right now while we work on making it ready for prime time. We're not ignoring 1Password by any means but I believe if 1PasswordAnywhere is to come to OPVault it will be a complete rewrite as the original is a bit long in the tooth and most definitely not geared up for the more flexible structures that OPVault allows. I won't say no but I can't make any promises either. I do apologise that I couldn't offer anything more concrete :(

• Jolin Warren
    Jolin Warren
    Community Member

Thanks for your honest reply. It's helpful to not get my hopes up unnecessarily. ;) That said, 1PasswordAnywhere is not key to my use, it was nice to have when I used it. There are so many great things about 1Password, this in no way dents my enthusiasm for your fantastic software!

• @Jolin Warren On behalf of littlebobbytables, you're welcome! So glad to hear you love 1Password as much as we do. We're always adding new surprises, so be sure to keep in touch. :) Have a wonderful weekend.

• alex_ndc
    alex_ndc
    Community Member

Hi guys - just dropping a note for feedback. I changed my vault to Opvault as well and noticed that 1PasswordAnywhere is gone. I don't mind it too much because it is not functional anyway, at least for the functionality I need. But the idea behind it is one of the reasons for why 1Password was attractive for me and not LastPass.

LastPass bothered me because I do not want my passwords to reside on their server, even if I'm getting assurances that it is being kept encrypted. LastPass is a hot target because it is keeping its users' data and it isn't far fetched to imagine an exploit that also leaks the keys of those users delivered via web. And having a read-only web interface that I could place on a USB stick, in case I need something portable, along with Wifi & Dropbox syncing, well that sounded like a great idea.

So if you could deliver 1PasswordAnywhere for OPVault as well, that would be great. And I also hope that you won't forget about users that don't want the server-side functionality in Teams. I've got 10 colleagues at work using 1Password, all of them were sold on the client-side nature of 1Password, none of them want Teams.

This is just feedback for you to consider. You've done a great job and I'm happy with current functionalities and the iOS and OS X clients are awesome, eagerly waiting on an Android update as well :-)

Cheers,

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @alex_ndc,

Thanks so much for sharing your feedback on 1PasswordAnywhere, and on 1Password for Teams. We appreciate your kind words, and your support!

I'll pass your thoughts along to our team. :)

• ccgreen
    ccgreen
    Community Member

I'm new to 1password anywhere - and going away - so trying to use it. I just noticed that the format of my synced vault to dropbox is the new format - don't know how to get the old format back, to use. I went to dropbox.com and tried to open the file opvault ("1 Password Vault" under Kind)that was created. I can see this file in Finder on Mac; but in dropbox.com - it is a folder, with many small files - that I don't see how they would be opened. So not sure how to proceed at this point. Do not know how to proceed at this point.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ccgreen: Sorry for the confusion! If you'd like to use AgileKeychain instead of OPVault, you can disable sync and uncheck Help > Tools > Enable OPVault. However, 1PasswordAnywhere is no longer supported, and no longer created with new vaults. A better option which is fully supported and much more advanced is the 1Password for Families/Teams web interface. I hope this helps! :)

• fourwheelcycle
    fourwheelcycle
    Community Member

Previously, I also used 1PasswordAnywhere by copying my keychain file to a USB flash drive to take with me on vacations. In the event my (FireVault encrypted) vacation laptop was ever stolen I knew I could access my passwords by opening the keychain HTML file. I am now allowing 1Password to use the OPVault, i.e., not disabling it in the Help, Tools menu, because AgileBits says it is a stronger and more efficient format. I always realized the keychain HTML file had limitations, since it could not be opened locally on all browsers and I did not want to open it from my DropBox folder on the World Wide Web (I'm big on keeping my data local).

Since Adobe PDF now offers 256 bit encryption, my new solution is to export my 1Password Favorites to a .csv file. Then I edit, print, and securely delete the .csv file to create a password protected PDF file that I put on a USB flash drive as my new backup for vacations.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

@fourwheelcycle Thanks for sharing your process! I'm sure it will come in handy for people who want to make sure they can access their passwords if all of their devices are stolen. 8-)

This discussion has been closed.