Entries stripped of attached documents

Options
sjz
sjz
Community Member

I noticed something odd when copying to my personal team vault from my individual primary vault. The documents that were attached to certain entries were stripped out and listed as separate items in my personal team vault. When I select the same entries (but not the separate, stripped out documents) and chose to move them to a shared team vault, there was a warning that said that if I went ahead with it a link would be broken. So I said "OK" and in fact the the entries moved but no longer had any connection to the documents originally attached. My question is: is this a bug or a feature?

Thanks!

Zack

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @sjz,

Thanks for taking the time to write in about this. I can understand the confusion, but it is more of a feature than a bug.

For the new 1Password for teams we have indeed made some changes to how files are stored. Essentially we made what was previously an attachment on an item become it's own item. We did this for several reasons, most of all because we will be able to provide larger document storage with Teams and we expect people will want to store documents proper without having to have a sort of parent item. So you can see all your documents in one place.

Another feature in Teams is having one item reference another one. You can now link any arbitrary item with another one. So for example you can link a Login item to a Passport item if you wanted. When you migrated the item+attachment it moved the item but it also made a document for the attachment, and linked the two.

So the warning you got was a warning saying it would remove the reference from your items from the documents they refer to. This is because you can't currently refer to an item in a different vault. It would not be good for someone who can access Vault A to see a link to an item in Vault B if they can't access it. It also would not make sense if it was an entirely different team.

We are currently expanding on being clearer about how these things work as well as making it more clear to everyone.

• elyscape
    elyscape
    Community Member
    Options

Is this something that will be coming to vanilla 1Password?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@elyscape: It isn't something we have plans for, since it depends on the data model we're using in 1Password for Teams. It simply isn't something that local vaults support. But we can certainly consider adding this feature to the 'personal' version of 1Password in the future. Thanks for letting us know you'd be interested! :)

• sjz
    sjz
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the clarification on this feature, nathanvf. Having the ability to store documents in 1password will be very useful. With regards to my own workflows, It beats encrypting individual documents (I have a copy of Knox, but could never develop a habit of using it).

What I like about the ability to attach documents is that I can, say, have an entry for our Employer Identification Number and attach a scan of the original document. Besides being a simple way of having that information consolidated, it removes excess distractions for the less technically savvy people I work with. If instead of having twenty entries with attached documents they have 40 or more, I worry that they will start dreading a search for information. Even worse would be if they did not want to spend the time entering data and documents into 1Password. The security is great, but only if it is used.

As we get into using 1P for teams, I will pay attention to whether there is any founding for my concern. Hopefully not. Perhaps it would be possible to keep the original feature of attaching documents to an entry and all of the wonderful new bells and whistles? Either way, teams is pretty fantastic. :)

Thanks for your hard work,

Zack

• random_31731ec7aea
    Options

But it would be cool to have a Filesystem based API to get Files into 1password.

I'm using rsync to sync a Network directory to a local dir which interm is encrypted with boxcryptor.com on a file by file basis and they it is uploaded by googledrive. That could simply happend because of a FilesystemAPI.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sjz: Personally, so far I am only saving really important, potentially sensitive documents in 1Password. It really isn't meant as primary document storage, and it kind of clutters things for my primary use: logins. However, I'm sure it's something that we'll evolve over time. :)

@random_31731ec7aea: I'm not sure we're trying to get into the storage business in general, but it's certainly an interesting idea. You never know. ;)

• random_31731ec7aea
    Options

@brenty
    You should go into storage business. Cause then you extend the value of 1password far behind the orignal approache and Customers likely pay for this more value.
    And 1password would delvier more value as current solution do. And every user would get quick and easy secure filesharing with externals (guest or better temp guest).

But this is how I see it, cause I would save much money for our company if you would support it. And I would share the savings with you, cause I would by the service extension right a way.

• Thanks for sharing your perspective, Random! It's good to know you want to support us :)

We're focusing on what we do best: protecting your most important data. Some Documents are certainly very important but not all documents need to be secured. I fear if we try to be a general storage company for everyone we'll lose our edge, so I'd rather not take that path at this time.

• jennifer
    jennifer
    Community Member
    Options

I know this post is a few months old, but I'm running into the same issue when trying to move records from a previously shared-via-Dropbox vault to several different shared vaults with 1Password for Teams. I understand the reasoning (thanks for explaining!) for why the link from record-to-Documents would be broken if moving a record from one vault to another, namely that the referenced Document would no longer be in the same vault, but it would be very helpful for my family if 1Password could recognize that the referenced Document was only referred to by that one single record and give an option (pop-up) to move the referenced Document WITH the moved record. I have a bunch of photos of ID cards, etc. which are now stored in the new Documents section which have non-specific filenames (i.e. "jpeg2.jpg") because they were added to 1Password via drag and drop from PhotoBooth or Skitch or some other form of screen capture. I'll eventually rename these documents to have meaningful names, but in the meantime it would be great if I could have the option to move these documents along with their original parent records from my non-Teams vault...

• sjz
    sjz
    Community Member
    Options

Ditto

• Hi @jennifer,

Can you elaborate on what you're seeing? If you have an item with an attachment in a non-Teams vault, and you copy that item to a Teams vault, the expected behavior is that it should have:

• Created the item copy
    • Created a Document item that contains the file that was an attachment
    • Linked the item to the document

Is that not what you're seeing? If not, then that's a bug and we should really fix that.

The issue with the alert coming up warning users about linked items when copying across vaults should only come up when copying from a Teams vault to either another Teams vault or a non-Teams vault. We really want to do better in that case. Especially across different Teams vaults. We need to add in the code that can reconstruct the item links after the items have been copied. It's not rocket science to do that, we just haven't had the time yet. There's a lot of love that needs to go into Documents and Linked Items. It's a good start, but I'd love to see them be significantly better.

Rick

• jennifer
    jennifer
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I guess that this behavior is what I am seeing, based on some testing I did this morning. I apologize. I thought that I had imported my data into a non-Teams vault and then moved it to a Teams vault. It appears that I had imported my .pif file into the Teams "My Vault" and then tried to move items from that vault to the one I share with my husband.

However, it would be extremely helpful (necessary, actually, since I'm stuck either manually moving and re-linking or leaving them in place for now) to be able to have 1Password be able to move items between Teams vaults and preserve the linked items and move attached documents as well. I'm in the process of moving a subset of our 2000+ item database from our shared Teams vault back into my own personal vault so that the rest of the family doesn't have to wade through my hundreds of logins, etc. when they are trying to find what they need. Please add my vote for this feature to be added sooner rather than later! :)

Jen

• rob
    Options

Hi, @jennifer, thanks for the update! I've added your vote to the issue tracker. I'd like to see this fixed myself. :)

ref: OPB-804

This discussion has been closed.