No longer working with Nelnet.net?

Nelnet is student loan repayment website. Until a few days ago, 1PW worked fine with the website. It uses a separate username and password screen, neither of which is now recognized by 1PW. It appears that Nelnet has revamped their website, and even manually trying to use saved username and login from 1PW results in Nelnet rejecting them. Works fine if I just enter username and password directly, without using 1PW. Win 7 64, IE 11 with latest updates.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @DwightL,

If the website has changed its design, try to re-save your Login to see if it works better.

1. Visit the site's username page, enter it but don't submit the form just yet, instead click on the 1Password icon to go to the Settings > Save New Login. Choose the option to create a new Login, don't replace the previous login and give a hint in the title to indidicate this is a new Login.
    2. Now, submit the form and repeat the same process with the password, create a separate Login for it.

Does it work better with the new Login items?

• DwightL
    DwightL
    Community Member

No, the newly saved login is rejected as well.

• DwightL
    DwightL
    Community Member

By rejected, I mean that choosing the 1PW login does not enter any text into the blank where username or password would be entered.

• DwightL
    DwightL
    Community Member

1PW shows a text value is saved for the login, but does not enter the text...

• DwightL
    DwightL
    Community Member

When I use 1PW, I can see the text flash in the login space on the website, but then it disappears. This is true whether I have auto-submit on or off.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @DwightL,

It looks like Mike or even somebody else has moved your query to the Saving and Filling section of our forums. We deal specifically with how the extension interacts with web pages here and that's across all platforms. So could you help me out with a couple of answers please to the following.

1. What version of 1Password are you running? I know you said you're running with the latest updates but sometimes that can mean really different things. This way I know I'm testing the exact same version as you.
    2. Is IE your preferred browser or do you use other browsers as well?
    3. If you also use a non-IE browser, what version of the 1Password extension is installed? (this question doesn't apply to IE)
    4. What is the URL for the page you are having trouble with? If you don't mind posting the URL in our forums then I will happily test it, allowing me to hopefully say something with confidence.
  • DwightL
    DwightL
    Community Member
    1. 1Password version 4.6.0.592
    2. Using only IE11, version 11.0.9600.18097
    3. URL is https://secure.nelnet.net/Account/Login?ReturnUrl=/
  • littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @DwightL,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I've now had a chance to test both Internet Explorer and Firefox. I tested Firefox after discovering something definitely wasn't working quite as intended in Internet Explorer. My first attempt at creating a Login item bizarrely resulted in 1Password filling the password into the username field. This is actually really weird as we normally only fill in passwords into password fields and it was definitely identified correctly as a password. Another approach saw the username seeming to be filled correctly but I when I tried to proceed to the next screen I was told the username was not found. If I copied and pasted the username or used auto-type it worked. Given I don't have an account with them I was unable to test the password field aspect except to say that it looked like it correctly filled.

When I tested with Firefox I found I got different results. The Login item I saved from inside Internet Explorer worked fine and I was able to fill in the username page and proceed to the password page like you would expect it to. I don't have a good answer here I'm afraid for Internet Explorer. I know from previous discussions with the developer responsible for the Internet Explorer side of things that he deliberately kept it very simple and was happy with the very high success rate it had so I'm very surprised over what I found in my investigations. I believe the best way forward with this one would be to edit the item from within the main 1Password window and you should see an option titled Use Auto-Type in web browser which we cover in the auto-type link above. This would force this Login item to use auto-type, which seems to be more well behaved and bypass the weirdness of the standard filling on this page.

Does this help at all?

• DwightL
    DwightL
    Community Member

Using auto-type for the username makes it work, but not in the password field, for some reason. Looking at the login for username, there is an additional line that says usertype, value 1, type radio, designation none. Tried adding this same item to the saved password, but doesn't make it work. The password is filled , and can be viewed by clicking on the little icon for viewing typed password, but it does not auto submit, and after clicking on submit, it is rejected by Nelnet. Tried playing with auto-submit off and on with no change.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @DwightL,

Turns out I misunderstood slightly how the auto-type feature works so this is my fault here. That option won't work when the authentication process is split over two pages, it only works when it's a single page where login fields are commonly grouped.

This would mean that if Firefox or Chrome isn't an option your only option would seem to be the Field-level auto-type section of the Using auto-type guide. Basically it's a manual process for each field so not ideal but it's the only workaround that I can see that will allow you to fill right now. Sorry for the confusion I caused earlier.

• DwightL
    DwightL
    Community Member
    edited November 2015

Ok. I'll keep playing around, and if I can make password work, I'll report back. Thanks.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Sorry I couldn't help find a better solution with Internet Explorer. It's quite odd the trouble it's having given one field is a text field (which always denotes a username) while the other field is clearly a password field. Very odd :(

This discussion has been closed.