Modify entry to automatically check "remember me" box

411pass
411pass
Community Member
edited November 2015 in 1Password in the Browser

I recently moved to 1P and imported my passwords from the old password manager.
How can I modify some entries in 1P so that the "remember me" box on login forms is checked when the form is filled and submitted automatically by 1P?

1Password Version: Mac latest

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @411pass,

If you imported these items from another password manager then at the moment getting 1Password to do as you want will require creating a brand new Login item I'm afraid. The reason is that while a username, password and URL are all that you need for our basic filling, anything more complicated than that requires an accurate web form details section. This can only come from a Login item being saved from within the browser. As you have an existing Login item the easiest way to create a new one would be with our How to manually save a Login. If you were to view the web form details section of an item created in this manner you should see the remember me field and be able to then edit it to either be enabled or disabled. What won't work though is to try manually adding that single field to the existing Login item because the current approach is we use the web form details as a kind of fingerprint, if the fingerprint matches we fill using the web form details section, if they don't match we revert to basic filling of just the username and password field.

You may have a few questions and if you do please do ask :smile:

• 411pass
    411pass
    Community Member

Sounds reasonable, I can do it by hand, I only need it for a few sites where security is not important (forums, etc.)
    You mentioned the form fingerprint ... what happens when a site design changes and the login form changes? Would we have to re-save a login to have it fill all the fields in a new form? And sometimes sites have different login forms depending where you are on the site (bad design, I know, but what can you do ...)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @411pass,

If it's a simple login form, just a username and password then the basic filling will kick in and it will be fine. The one that springs to mind is the Amazon login where at some point in the purchase process I'm sure I get asked for just my password again.

If it's a complicated login form with more than two fields, which means you need web form details to work and they change the site you are correct that this would break the existing Login item and require creating a new one. I'm pretty sure that's exactly where your train of thought was going with that question. I don't know what the implications are on lessening this requirement but if it's doable at all I would like to see it. Of course a large enough change would necessitate a new Login item regardless. It can happen but my personal experience is it isn't a common issue from a single user's perspective i.e. not a weekly or even monthly action.

If you have a badly behaving site though this section of the forums is here for that express purpose. I enjoy the puzzles various sites bring our way although there are times that I can't offer a solution which isn't as fun. So if you problematic site please do let us know so we can take a look :smile:

This discussion has been closed.