Freature Request: Item Folders and Vault Folders

Options

Hi,

in an other Thread you did mentioned that you don't plan to support folders in 1password4teams.
A Teamleader in our Company now wants to migrate passwords to 1password4team and ask for many Vaults (20), cause he has the need to structure the passwords into folders. And I consider it a bad thing, cause I would structure it the way who needs (is allowed) to access Passwords.
Tags don't resolve the Problem unless you would support Smart Folders.

This Teamleader really need at minimum 10 Vaults to structure Access Levels and so it would be really nice to structure Vaults into Folders .
I know the last Feature would take some time, cause you never did this before but the first feature incl, Smart Floders is available in 1password already, you should really enable it before beta ends.

Random

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @random_31731ec7aea,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. We always take the feature requests and feedback of our users into consideration.

You are correct that we are not planning on having folder support for items in 1Password for Teams for the time being. If it's because of permissions related reasons I don't foresee any version of folders supporting the assignment of permissions (or per-item permissions for that matter) for the time being.

On top of that it sounds as if you also might want to assign vault permissions based on where they would be placed in a folder as well, which sounds more like groups to me?

For now I believe the solution would be to assign those permissions individually for each vault.

Thanks,

-Nathan
    Agilebits

• random_31731ec7aea
    Options

Hi @nathanvf,

I don't want to have Folders for permissions just for organzig stuff.
    And if you don't give People the chance to organize there things, you can't put to much ITEMS in one fault.
    We have many systems our under control so we need many passwords too :-)

Random

• Datema
    Datema
    Community Member
    Options

We're also heavily using folders to organize our data by client and tags to organize by other taxonomies like server or hosting-company.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @random_31731ec7aea and @Datema ,

Thanks so much for the feedback here! It's great to hear how organizations group their data as we work to build this solution.

I don't want to have Folders for permissions just for organzig stuff.

Would adding smart folders to the tagging system help here? I might be misunderstanding, but I see tags as a much more powerful version of folders. With folders, an item can live in only one folder, while it can have multiple tags. With 1Password, tags are available in the sidebar of the main app, so you can easily click on a single tag to view all the items with that tag. This gives you some pretty great options for organizing things within each vault. (I'm a big fan of tags, if you haven't already guessed!)

And if you don't give People the chance to organize there things, you can't put to much ITEMS in one fault.

You're right - organization is important, and having that organization within a vault instead of having to resort to separate vaults for groups of information is vital.

This Teamleader really need at minimum 10 Vaults to structure Access Levels and so it would be really nice to structure Vaults into Folders .

Could you explain a bit more what you envision here? I know that 10 vaults can get to be a bit of a long list (I'm currently at 11 myself, looking to add more as I set up my family teams) but with the customization of the 'All Vaults' view available, I'm not sure if folders are really necessary. It seems like they would just add complexity to the vault list.

Again, please let me know if I'm misunderstanding what you're looking for.

We're also heavily using folders to organize our data by client and tags to organize by other taxonomies like server or hosting-company.

Datema, without knowing how your company looks it's hard to know if I'm giving you smart advice or completely missing the point, but would it make sense to have a separate vault for each client? Another option would be to simply use a tag for each client in a 'client' vault.

As I mentioned above, we're really interested in hearing how you keep things sorted so that we can ensure that 1Password fits in as many different workflows as possible. Thanks for the feedback!

• maxpacific
    maxpacific
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there

We also use folders in our current enterprise password manager. Its purely for organising logins into various groups such as Security, Network, Microsoft, etc. It does make the database appear to be a lot more organised.
    I do agree that tags are more powerful. My question regarding the Tags though is, if I search based on a tag, I don't get any results. The other thing about tags is it would ideal if we had the ability to view all the tags. So in the side bar where you have favorites, Categories, etc. If there could be a Tags section, this would almost eliminate the need to folders because you could browse based on tags. Right now, it doesn't appear as if tags are working, but the one problem with tags if you aren't able to browse the tags is having to know exactly what tag or tags have been used in order to find what you are looking for.
    Being able to click on a category or link called tags would eliminate the need for folders, and make it easy to find what you are looking for.

Thanks
    Neal

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@maxpacific: Can you tell me where you're having trouble using Tags? In 1Password for iOS, these are in the Organize tab; whereas it's a separate section in the sidebar in 1Password for Mac (this is also true of the web interface, which is very similar).

• random_31731ec7aea
    Options

Hi @Megan,

Yes Tags and Smart Folders would be a Solution but isn't supported either.
    Folders would be good anyhow, cause you can use both (Tags / Smarforders and Folders) may have subfolders too.

And later on you can add Permission support to subfolders too.
    I would only drop Folders support if some other important requirement will be in conflict with Folders.

But if you make Smart Folders available in short time I would be happy.

Random

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2015
    Options

Hi @random_31731ec7aea ,

Thanks for clarifying!

I've filed an improvement request to have smart folders added to 1Password for Teams. As always, I can't promise anything, but I'm a big fan of organization so I'm happy to pass your thoughts along!

ref: OPB-698

• vipconsult
    vipconsult
    Community Member
    Options

+1

as I suggested in another post tags would work as long as they allow some hierarchy.
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/58610/can-we-add-organizational-sub-folders-or-sub-vaults-under-a-vault

• Jacob
    Options

Thanks for the vote @vipconsult. :) I've added it to our list, with your comment. We appreciate it.

This discussion has been closed.