How do I back up documents in the 1 Password 4 Vault? iMac OSX 10.8.5, 1 Password 4.4.4

mara
mara
Community Member

I am also experiencing the weird message about damaged app. Since I cannot open 1Password 4 from the Icon Bar, I am not sure of the version but the extensions manager calls it 1Password 4.4.4.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How do I back up the documents in the 1Password 4 vault?

Comments

• Jacob
    edited November 2015

Hey @mara! Sorry about that. Please give this sticky post a read for some info about that issue and how to fix it. Let us know if you have any other questions.

• mara
    mara
    Community Member

Thank you. I was able to open the main vault after signing in and out of App Store. I know that 1Password 4 creates backups (I see them listed in the Preferences Window when I click the Backup Icon). My question is: How do I save all the documents in the vault to a CD or DVD?

Thanks for the help!

• @mara When you say "documents", do you mean your items (logins, passwords, notes, etc.)? If so, you could put them on a CD or DVD, but a better way of doing things would be to sync them to the cloud.

Sync options compared: Dropbox vs. iCloud vs. Wi-Fi

If you decide that's not quite for you, you can also use folder sync on your Mac to keep a copy of things on a flash drive or external drive. There's also Time Machine, which is a great way to keep your data backed up with OS X. Let us know if you have any questions. :)

• mara
    mara
    Community Member

I wondered how I can migrate my existing primary vault on my old computer (iMac running OSX 10.8.5 - 1Password extension version 4.4.4) to a new MacBook Pro running OSX 10.11. I realize I have to purchase, download & install 1Password 6.3 on the new computer first.

Can I use the same master password for the primary vault on the new computer as I use on the primary vault on the old computer?

Are there instructions on how to do the migration?

Thanks !

• Hi @mara,

In the Preferences click Backup. Then click the Show Files button. That will open the folder containing the backups. You can copy those to a CD, DVD, USB Thumb Drive, etc. The files are all dated, so you really only need the latest one.

Then on your new computer, download and run 1Password. When the Welcome screen appears, choose "Restore" from the File menu, and open the file on your CD (or DVD, USB Thumb drive, etc.) and it will load the backup and quit. The next time you run 1Password it will ask for your master password and show you your items.

If you have any questions about this procedure, or run into trouble, please let us know.

Cheers,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.