Change the thumbnail associated with a vault I created?

allynwstone
allynwstone
Community Member

I would like to change the thumbnail associated with a vault I created. I see discussions on this from 2013 and 2014, and indications that there would be changes in future versions, but no other updates. Is there any way I can change the thumbnail on a vault? I have somehow ended up with 2 vaults with duplicate thumbnails and it is confusing a bit from my Mac.

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: 4.4.3.90
OS Version: OS X 10.11.2 Beta
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:change thumbnail on a vault

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

@allynwstone - So far, the only way to do what you want would be to creat a new vault with the name and icon you prefer, transfer the existing data to the new vault, and then delete the old vault. There still is no way to change the icon or name of an existing vault. It is an often-requested feature, though, so perhaps we will see it arrive in a future update.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @allynwstone,

Hawkmoth is correct - it's not currently possible to change the icon of an existing secondary vault, and the workaround would be to create a new secondary vault (and choose an icon when creating that), then move your items from the old vault to the new vault.

Hopefully our developers will be able to add an option to change that in the future, and I'll be happy to add your comments to a feature request to let them know you're interested in being able to do that.

If you need anything else, please let us know! :)

ref: OPM-900

• allynwstone
    allynwstone
    Community Member

@hawkmoth & @Drew_AG Thanks. I appreciate it. I was able to work around it that way, but I do wonder - sort of in a related question - why does my original vault have the file type *.agilekeychain and newer vaults seem to have an extension *.opvault. I'm using Dropbox to sync. Am I doing something wrong?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @allynwstone,

You're not doing anything wrong. We're simply in the process of migrating from an older data format (the .agilekeychain) to a newer one (.opvault). You can learn about the design of this new data format in our security documentation: OPVault Design if you're the type of person who likes geeky details. :)

• SunilDayal
    SunilDayal
    Community Member

Hi All, has anything changed since the last statement? Is the ability there without creating a new vault?

• SunilDayal
    SunilDayal
    Community Member

Also is there a built in migration option if a new vault is created to copy all items over?

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @SunilDayal

Thank you for writing to us. To your first question, things are on the same page: you need a new vault to change the thumbnail. However moving the passwords from one vault into another is very easy and only takes a couple of clicks! This video, starting on minutes 1.00 will show you how to do it: https://support.1password.com/teams-families-migrate/. Instead of moving the passwords into your Personal vault, chose the new one you created, but everything else is the same!

Please let us know if you try this and if it all goes well for you! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.