1Password future updates

AleBEE
AleBEE
Community Member

Compared to other password managers, 1Password has a one-time license fee. I am looking to make a long-term switch from my current provider to 1Password but i am concerned how you are planing to finance future updates without an ongoing subscription. Will you be charging a renewed license fee for major updates? If yes, how often do you think that will occur? My current provider also charged a one-time license fee and they stopped updating their software; i am concerned the same thing will happen to 1Password. Any information would be very helpful; thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:purchase

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @AleBEE,

I'm so glad to hear that you're considering 1Password to keep your digital data secure and organized! I'd be happy to answer your questions here.

Will you be charging a renewed license fee for major updates? If yes, how often do you think that will occur?

The short answer is that we do our best to be generous with users whenever possible. This means that paid upgrades are few and far between. To give you an idea of what I mean by that, here's a history of 1Password for Mac.

When 1Password 3 for Mac was released back in November 2009, it was the first paid upgrade in the history of AgileBits. (For some context, 1Password 1 for Mac was released in 2006). Version 3 received 66 free updates, including 738 changes. You can read all about the updates in [1Password 3's release notes]
    (https://agilebits.com/onepassword/mac/release_notes).

Many of these 738 changes were huge ones that required months of development work. For example, 1Password 3.6 added support for OS X Lion, which required a complete rewrite of the browser extensions to support the new architecture Apple introduced in Safari (Firefox and Chrome were also making big changes at the time).

As for 1Password 4 for Mac, it required huge changes "under the hood" to enable many new features. We released 1Password 4 in October of 2013. Because version 4 was a complete re-write of the app from the ground up, we thought it was worthy of a paid upgrade. You can get a sense of all the goodies that 1Password 4 included by checking out our blog. You'll note there that the new release came with a free upgrade window of 9 months for recent purchasers, a launch sale, and an upgrade discount for existing users.

1Password 5 was released in October 2014 as a free upgrade for all 1Password 4 users. To get an idea of all the great features our developers are building into the app on a regular basis, check out our changelog.

I hope that this little overview helps to demonstrate our commitment, both to our users, and to our product. I'm lucky enough to work on a team full of passionate people who love 1Password and are excited to continue making it better for all our users.

• AleBEE
    AleBEE
    Community Member

Thank you very much for the thorough answer Megan! Very much appreciated.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad that helped. On behalf of Megan, you are most welcome! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.