how to recover file from time machine back up

Options
regnumber
regnumber
Community Member

had to reload the OS couldn't use the time machine as a whole. Able to take the data off individually but unable to copy the 1password data across. Has apple tea try to do it for me but they said I needed to contact 1password as he couldn't do it for me. Can you help
Regards Malcolm

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:unable to get the info from my time machine backup the zip file doesn't appear in the

Comments

• regnumber
    regnumber
    Community Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

(Edited by moderator. Email address removed to avoid your getting spam. I have let the AgileBits staff know the address.)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @regnumber,

So with the assistance of Apple they've shown you how you can interact with the Time Machine backup from another installation, is that correct? Time Machine is great and seems to be pretty easy to use with the one exception - when you need to interact with the backup made from another copy of OS X. It isn't about the hardware as completely starting over on a Mac and simply trying to retrieve files from the previous instance is the same.

Hopefully this means the helped you understand about user accounts and how to navigate the backup as it does differ somewhat in contrast to viewing the backup for this copy of OS X. What I'm hoping is that knowledge of where 1Password stores its files will be enough to get us kick started :smile:

The normal location depends on which version of 1Password you were running. There is the AgileBits Store version, that's when you purchase and download 1Password directly from our site and then there is the Mac App Store version when you purchase and download 1Password from Apple's App Store application on your Mac. Due to sandboxing the two keep their files in different locations which I will now details.

• AgileBits Store: ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/
    • Mac App Store: ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/

Just in case they didn't talk about it the tilde is a special character when it comes to paths in OS X. Say I have an OS X user account called LittleBobbyTables. When OS X sees ~ it takes that to mean the user account for the logged in person and translates that to /Users/LittleBobbyTables/. It allows us to tell people where to search in the account for the person logged in without asking what their username is. So if I was in your position then I would need to look in /Users/LittleBobbyTables/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/ for example if I was an AgileBits Store user.

If you right click on the folder I hope you will be able to copy the entire folder to your Desktop. If you can do that we've made the most important step and the rest will be practically easy after that. I'll wait to see if we get this far before proceeding.

It might be I'm misunderstanding what being unable to copy 1Password means but if you can extract the main support folder from the Time Machine backup we know exactly what to do afterwards :smile: We'll await to hear back and take it from there.

This discussion has been closed.