How do I add store cards to 1Password?

Options
Tom_G
Tom_G
Community Member
edited November 2015 in Mac

Takes forever to read thru forums. User manual way too complex. If I want to add a Sunoco or Shell gas card, or a store card, I cannot, because your dropdown card list is so limited and does not allow additions. The problem with this application is it is too time consuming and difficult to learn. There is no way to tell what a bank account is unless you know the account number. No easy way to decide between a bunch of similar accounts.

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.11.1
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Entering other credit cards, like gas cards?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @Tom_G,

Credit Card items were originally designed with the idea of filling when paying for an item or service hence their options focused on standard bank cards. This is something that goes back to at least 1Password 3. We have a membership card section but one key difference is these do not fill. So it might be that I'm not appreciating what you can use a Sunoco, Shell gas card, or a store card for. Are you saying these are cards that you would expect to use on multiple sites to pay for items?

Regarding Bank Account items. I would agree that if I were limited to identifying one based on just an account number I would have a hard time picking them out. I would instead set the title of the item to make it somehow meaningful such as name of bank - account type, that way it would hopefully be easier to recognise each one. The title can be set to whatever you want - it's all about what works for you.

Nobody would say 1Password is perfect, no piece of software is so we do like to hear about what people believe could be improved upon and we make a note of all suggestions on what could better it :smile:

• Tom_G
    Tom_G
    Community Member
    Options

Hello littlebobbytables...

Yes, there are numerous cards that I would like to keep track of. How about Sam's Club/Wal-Mart, Amazon Store, etc. just to name two of them. 1Password should not be just for autofill on a website, but to track all your stuff in one place. As to ID of a bank account, etc. the form is not very helpful at all. It does not tell you where to put an ID for retrieval from a list. Many fields remain unused because I have no idea what goes there. NOT INTUITIVE or clearly explained. Who in their right mind would want to spend an hour or more deciphering the user guide or searching a forum to find out how to do that - IF it were possible? Even the Table of Contents (TOC) is no help. Heck, there is not a direct link in the bloody program to get real help - you have to wander thru the forum!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @Tom_G,

The Credit Card item is specifically designed for filling the details found on all bank cards and the code for filling is designed to work on all sites. So I'm referring to the long card number, the CVV code, expiry date and account holder name that all bank cards have.

We have other types such as Membership or Reward Programme which you can use to store details for cards etc. simply so you have a record of the details but do not expect to use when interacting with a web page. We separate them out because we do treat Login, Credit Card and Identity items differently (those are the three we will attempt to fill). You could use the Reward Programme item for example and field usage is not compulsory, you fill in as many or as few of the fields as you wish and if you need fields for other information then custom sections and fields can be used. For example I added a Contact Information section to my bank so I could store important telephone numbers such as lost card or fraud (local and international) inside the Bank Account item.

It sounds like you're trying to use the Credit Card category for all cards and finding it frustrating while you might find use of one of the other categories works a bit better. I don't know that for certain as I still don't recognise most of the cards you've mentioned, I suspect different geographical locations is the primary reason there.

Just to let you know, the forums are our primary form of support. You're currently discussing this with a member of the AgileBits team which is somewhat scattered over the globe and we read and respond to every thread. Support forums allow a single response to be read by multiple people, maybe even hundreds and where that post is applicable it means we can help a larger number of people than directing each person to email us individually and await an answer there. We still have a ticket system that we use as not all questions and answers can be done so publicly - if troubleshooting requires any sensitive information we automatically move it to email.

• fourwheelcycle
    fourwheelcycle
    Community Member
    Options

Tom_G

I think you are being a bit harsh on the 1P product and on the support staff. I moved from LastPass to 1P about eighteen months ago specifically because 1P lets me keep all my password data on my own devices instead of in LastPass' cloud.

I also felt the user manual was very large and complex, but I was able to set up several of my most frequently-used logins on my first day (during the free trial period) with a combination of basic steps from the manual and advice gleaned from the forum. I used 1P on training wheels for the first few days and slowly began to use its other useful features as I became more familiar with the product. For example, I learned how to tweak my logins to get them to work on sites that require a user ID on one page and a password entry on a separate page, or a two-step security code entry between my ID and my password. I also learned to differentiate similar logins with edited name adjustments such as "Vanguard Joe" and "Vanguard Susie" to separate my Vanguard login from my wife's. I learned that the notes section of the login record is very useful to type in my security question answers and other information I may need to remember about a particular login.

As I added more logins I learned how to group them in sub-folders for email accounts, financial sites, forums, and purchasing sites, like Amazon. A major helpful addition was when I learned to use Secure Notes as an encrypted repository to keep track of other key information, including images of our passports and credit cards in case they are lost or stolen while we are on vacation, a master list of computer and router passwords, and copies of other documents and info I want to keep in a "failsafe" location.

We all periodically consider new purchases for software and other types of products. If we look into a product, via Amazon reviews or a free software trial period, we can decide for ourselves whether it is a good match for our needs. It is certainly reasonable to question a company for clarification about their product as part of our consideration, but I don't think it is necessary to criticize a well-developed product because it has built up a fairly elaborate user manual or because its many useful features are not layed-out exactly as we would have configured them if we were the developer.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

@Tom_G,

Regarding specific credit cards like the ones you mention:

Yes, there are numerous cards that I would like to keep track of. How about Sam's Club/Wal-Mart, Amazon Store, etc.

I do keep thinks like these, as well as a couple of store-specific cards in the Credit Card category. So, I too have an Amazon credit card. Those are Visa cards in the US, so I make the title of the record for that card be "Amazon Visa," and then pick Visa as the category. I also have a few store specific cards, which I name "[Name-of-store] card." I don't pick any category for those, and I find an appropriate logo on the web and drag that into the icon field while the record is in edit mode. That becomes my custom icon.

Your fuel credit cards like Shell or Sunoco could be handled in the same way that I handle store-specific cards.

I have more than one Visa card and more than one MasterCard. Each is named specifically, for example "Cash Rewards MasterCard." Likewise for my bank accounts. One is "[Bank-name] Checking," one is "[Bank-name] Saving," and a third is "[Bank-name] Money Market." I do that with titles for various Gmail accounts, so that they don't all look alike when I am trying to log in.

Perhaps those suggestions will let you see some possibilities beyond the apparent limits of the categories. If this really is beyond your patience, you might be someone that won't find 1Password to be your choice of password managers. But like any sophisticated piece of software, this one too becomes easier to use with practice. @fourwheelcycle's suggestion to use it with "training wheels" at first is worth thinking about. (Nice use of training wheels for that forum handle, by the way.) The level of security offered by 1Password and the fact that only you control your data make it worth the effort. Or at least it did for me. If you abandon 1Password as your application of choice, do find another password manager and be sure to use it.

Your comments about credit cards did remind me of something. It is moderately annoying that there is no way to go back to no selection for the Type in the Credit Card category, once you have picked a type from the drop down menu. There have been requests from users in the past to add a None option to the category, and I approve of those requests. I think my vote for that has probably already been recorded.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Tom_G,

One of my favourite things about our forums is our awesome community of users. Have the posts by fourwheelcycle and Hawkmoth help at all?

We're happy to continue talking this through if you have any further questions about 1Password. I know it can seem a bit overwhelming to begin with, but we're here to ensure that you get 1Password working the way you want. :)

This discussion has been closed.