with iCloud sync for iOS devices, do I need a manual iTunes backup?

Options
tmiller
tmiller
Community Member
edited November 2015 in Mac

General question: 2 devices, iPhone & iPad. 1PW keeps them synced via iCloud. I'm trying to understand whether or not I really need to go through the process of a manual backup via iTunes. Can't imagine the scenario where I'd need something separate... ?

1Password Version: 6.1.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: kb-search:backup, kb:ios-itunes-backups, kb:backup-faq

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tmiller,

Probably not but sometimes additional layers of redundancy can be good. I have 2 iOS devices which sync with a Mac which itself uses Time Machine on a NAS device. I have a few layers there along with the automated backups going back months thanks to 1Password for Mac so I'm quite happy. What I would say is if you do something to your vault that would first get synced to iCloud and then passed onto your other iOS device with no way to easily revert. If you made occasional backups via iCloud you could revert to a previous point. We can't say you have to but you may one day appreciate the time spent creating these backups. As is always the case though, it will feel like it's unnecessary until that one time you need it. I don't know if that helped at all but if it inspires followup questions please do ask.

• tmiller
    tmiller
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Useful info. I think the crux is "restore point" - and that has value. On the other hand, in this scenario a user is not critically exposed.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tmiller,

I'm glad to see little Bobby was able to help out! You're right, the 'restore point' is the key difference.

Backups are a copy of your entire 1Password database (all vaults included), zipped up and stored for future reference. In case something goes wrong, as little Bobby suggested, you have a known 'good copy' of your data that you can restore to.

When you choose to sync a vault, 1Password will make a copy of the vault's data and store it in the appropriate sync location. (For Dropbox and Folder Sync, this is a folder that you have chosen. For iCloud, the data is synced using CloudKit and stored in the location determined by Apple.) This sync file is a live file and is constantly changing every time you add or remove data from your vault. Because these files are constantly changing, sync files should not be relied upon as backups.

This discussion has been closed.