Share a primary vault that is another user's secondary vault

Options
ne_1912
ne_1912
Community Member

Hi,

I'm on 1 Password 5 on the mac and need access to my mother's primary vault for estate planning. Ideally I'd like to access it as a secondary vault in my personal devices. We're syncing via DropBox. The DropBox folders for both of our primary vaults are named differently though both files have the same name (1Password.agile.keychain). I've attempted to sync to her vault as a secondary on my end, but get the message "1Password found existing data. It will be merged with your current vault." I'm not sure what the implications of this are. Does it overwrite data in her primary vault? Or mine?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ne_1912,

I apologize for the confusion here. One of the tricky things about sharing primary vaults is that those files will have the same name (and it is not currently possible to change the name of a vault.) For sharing those keychains via Dropbox, I strongly recommend storing each in their own sub-folder so that you can easily identify who's is who's.

I've attempted to sync to her vault as a secondary on my end, but get the message "1Password found existing data. It will be merged with your current vault." I'm not sure what the implications of this are. Does it overwrite data in her primary vault? Or mine?

This process will merge your two vaults, which is not our goal here.

You'll want to go to Settings > Vaults and find the 'Sync additional vaults' option. This will allow you to add your mother's data as a secondary vault instead of combining it with your existing vault. There are instructions in our Using Multiple Vaults article in the User Guide that can walk you through the process.

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions or concerns.

• ne_1912
    ne_1912
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the response. Works great on ios, but not sure how to accomplish this on OS X.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ne_1912,

Sorry for the confusion about that! On a Mac, it's even easier - simply find your mother's .agilekeychain file that was shared with you in your Dropbox folder, and double-click on it. 1Password should prompt you to add that as a secondary vault.

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you need anything else. Thanks! :)

• ne_1912
    ne_1912
    Community Member
    Options

Got it. Thanks much!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ne_1912 ,

I'm so glad that Drew was able to clear things up for you!

I hope that 1Password behaves perfectly for you from now on, but if you have any other questions or concerns, we're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.