I need iCloud, but I didn't purchase from the Mac App Store

Options
novae
novae
Community Member
edited November 2015 in Mac

It's all in the title. I came to 1password for this reason. Didn't want to use Dropbox or other techniques.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: ug:mac/sync-icloud, ug:mac/, kb-search:icloud, kb:switch-to-icloud, kb:icloud-needs-cloudkit

Comments

• Hey @novae! Sorry for the confusion about iCloud availability in the AgileBits Store version. Since you purchased within the past 30 days, I have refunded you. You should see it in your account within a few business days; please let us know if you don't see anything within 5-7 business days. Feel free to purchase the app from the Mac App Store whenever works. :) If you've already got some stuff in the AgileBits Store version, you can switch by following this guide:

Switching to the version of 1Password from the Mac App Store

Let us know if you have any other questions.

• novae
    novae
    Community Member
    Options

One last question. I had a promotional code to pay 40$ The licence... How can I get the same price on the AppStore ?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @novae,

Unfortunately there isn't a way to do so. With out AgileBits Store we have total control which includes the ability to offer a discount whenever we like. When it comes to Apple's Mac App Store there is no facility to offer a selective discount. We can't mass migrate users or offer a discount. Maybe one day Apple will add such a feature to their stores but for now it isn't possible. Sorry :(

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's not intended to be hidden but we do cover this in Should I buy 1Password from the AgileBits Store or the Mac App Store? but I'm just wondering how easy it is to come across this article unless you're specifically looking.

• Fiona123
    Fiona123
    Community Member
    Options

I have been using 1password for years and I buy the licence from you directly. It doesn't seem fair that I can't use iCloud to sync, just because I bought it from the app store.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@Fiona123 - The only reason you cannot use iCloud for syncing with the AgileBits web store version is because of Apple's policy of not allowing any applications that they don't sell themselves through their App Stores. It was not a choice made by AgileBits. And if you bought a license years ago, there was not Apple App Store in existence for you to choose. So the unfairness, if there is any, is on the Apple side, not the AgileBits side. Rather than repeat what has often been discussed on this matter, I'll refer you to a lengthy post by @Drew_AG, here. There are many others like it here in the forum. The bottom line is that AgileBits would very much like to offer iCloud syncing on its web store version, but that is currently not possible because of Apple's policy on the matter. Perhaps Apple will relent in the future, but they have not done so yet.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Fiona123,

I'm sorry for the confusion about that! It's definitely a frustrating situation for us as well. We'd really love to have iCloud sync in the AgileBits Store version of 1Password as well, but unfortunately that's not currently possible. Hopefully my post from the link in Hawkmoth's reply helps to explain more about that. But if you have more questions, please let us know - we're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.