HTTP protection

Options
MickDG
MickDG
Community Member
edited December 2015 in 1Password in the Browser

I am a web developer, and use lots of sites that have HTTP protection. 1password4 doesn't appear to have a way of handling this. Is this true? Any suggestions for getting around the issue if so?

1Password Version: 4.6.0.592
_Extension Version:
Not Provided
OS Version: Windows / iOS 9
_Sync Type:
Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:http protection

Comments

• MickDG
    MickDG
    Community Member
    Options

None of you Agilebits reps know about HTTP protection? :(

• MickDG
    MickDG
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for talking to myself!

1password4 doesn't seem to spot any passwords at all that have to be typed into dialog boxes. I'm sure this must be my stupidity, as it isn't uncommon for a site/a messenger application to use popups to request a login (Skype and my 123-REG control panel are the two I've had issues with so far, along with several password protected websites).

Any help with the best way to set passwords like this up would be much appreciated. 1password4 works well in most other situations I have tried so far :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @MickDG,

When you say HTTP protection do you mean basic authentication?

• MickDG
    MickDG
    Community Member
    Options

I do littlebobbytables, yes. Might help if I described what I meant properly! :chuffed:

So generally boxes that would cause an HTTP status code of 401 (Unauthorized) when not completed properly.

123-REG pops up a modal dialog ad this seems to be an issue too. Not sure what the technology behind this is without digging Sniffer out...

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @MickDG,

So the issue we face is that the extension is JavaScript that sits inside the browser and filling works by directing setting the values of input fields in the page. Basic authentication though happens at a different level and the dialog is a popup created by the browser. Without a cross-browser API our extension is out of its depth.

Now with Windows we have something called auto-type that will help out here. Auto-type leverages a Windows specific feature, allowing 1Password helper (part of the actual application and not the extension) to mimic typing the username, pressing the tab key and typing the password. This should allow you to fill basic authentication dialogs so I think that link will be of interest.

This feature doesn't exist in iOS so unfortunately we're limited to copy and paste there - ugly I know and you're not the only one that wishes we could do better there.

It might be 123-REG is different though. Is this modal dialog that you refer to present whenever you attempt to log in or just for accessing your control panel? The reason I ask is I'm wondering if there is a generic login page where this is present that I can look at. Obviously if the URL is specific to your account you would be rightfully reluctant to post it here in a public forum and we wouldn't want you to do that. We could of course take the conversation to email for that part if that would make you more comfortable. If it's a generic login page for everybody though we can continue discussing it here :smile:

• MickDG
    MickDG
    Community Member
    Options

The input is much appreciated littlebobbytables :)

The 123-REG dialog is literally just for my control panel there. They always seem a little behind the times, so I'm not sure that part will ever change. I use that area so rarely that cut and paste isn't a big issue to be honest.

Accessing customer dev sites when out and about using my iPhone is a more painful area, and it sounds like I am going to be limited to cut and paste there too for the time being...

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @MickDG,

Sadly I do expect that iOS will be the last holdout should we come up with something better. The reason is iOS is locked down, heavily so and we will never have the same freedom there that we take for granted on OS X or Windows. This is Apple's approach with iOS and to be honest I don't want to worry about running stuff on my phone like I need to be on my computers. Sometimes these restrictions can be felt though. Who knows, maybe they will come up with something that also applies to iOS Safari and we can take advantage of it both in OS X and iOS but we're somewhat reliant on the browsers here to come up with a nice robust, and most importantly standards compliant approach.

This discussion has been closed.