I believe I have a lifetime license - how can I confirm?

Options
WiZZard
WiZZard
Community Member

I believe I purchased a lifetime license for 1Password - please confirm

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:upgrade-license

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

(I'm not an AgileBits staff member) All licences are lifetime. That is, they are valid for that major version of 1PW for as long as 1PW works with your operating system. By "major version" I mean that a current licence of 1PW for Mac will be valid on version 5.x but not necessarily on version 6.x. A change from version 5 to version 6 might be a paid upgrade but might be free. (Note that the version numbering is somewhat different for 1PW for Windows and 1PW for iOS and Android.)

If you upgrade the operating system (either with a new machine, or because you choose to upgrade) it is possible that your version of 1PW might cease to work and you would need to buy a new one. But currently even 1PW 3 works to some extent on Mac OS 10.11 although it is old. Upgrading programs when you upgrade the OS is an issue with all programs, you just have to watch out.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@WiZZard: Indeed, any license you purchase never expires. We license our software on a per-platform basis, so for example a single 1Password for Mac version 5 license entitles you (and up to 5 other family members living in the same household) to use 1Password 5 on all of your Macs. I hope this helps. Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions! :)

• WiZZard
    WiZZard
    Community Member
    Options

Was there not a sales push to purchase the lifetime license, no upgrades, ever .. this is what I am talking about ...

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Several developers do that with their programs, but I have never heard of it with 1PW. Given how much I like 1PW, I would have paid if there had been such an offer.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Was there not a sales push to purchase the lifetime license, no upgrades, ever .. this is what I am talking about ...

@WiZZard: Indeed, this isn't a promotion we've offered...and frankly any time I've seen something like that it's usually been a harbinger of doom. No updates means no support going forward, like a 'going out of business' clearance where 'all sales are final': it's a great way to get a good deal, but a terrible way to sustain a business to continue developing and supporting a product, and we plan to be around for the next ten years and beyond — as long as we can continue to make a living making 1Password better for you and the rest of our awesome customers. :)

• WiZZard
    WiZZard
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Probably confused with some other software that I have registered over the years. Sorry to trouble. Merry Christmas!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No trouble at all, and certainly better to ask than to continue wondering. I hope you have a merry Christmas as well! Be sure to reach out any time if you have any other questions. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.