Feature request: Automatically detect username in form when logging in after resetting password

Options

Since I got 1Password, I've reset my password on a lot of websites. 1Password helpfully saves the new password generated, but because the form for resetting my password generally doesn't include a username field, it saves only the password.

Now, when I go to log in to the site, there are two major problems:

First, I type my username into the username field. Then I hit cmd-\ to fill in the password... and it CLEARS the username field. So I have to go back in and type it again.

Then, once I submit the login with my username included, 1Password still doesn't record my username (or ask to). I have to open the entry, convert it to a login, edit it, add the username, save it, and close it. This is an annoying amount of work, especially when I'm resetting my password on tons of sites.

The expected behavior would be a prompt asking "Should I convert this password to a login and add the username?" or something like that.

Another minor gripe: "Convert to login" should really still be a button after clicking "Edit". It is a part of the edit I'm trying to make, after all.

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: 4.4.3.90
OS Version: 10.11.1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DoubleFelix,

I have to apologise, you're not seeing 1Password at its best and that is our fault.

When you use the Password Generator we always create a Password item. It's our safety net so that no matter what there is a record of the password generated by the Password Generator, after all nobody is going to remember one of the passwords it generates, especially after just glancing at it. A Password item created in this manner though is only meant to be temporary, 1Password should be prompting you and this is one area where we've had a couple of bugs that have existed for too long. We're working on this so what I'd like to do is talk a bit about how it should work.

Say you're new to 1Password and you're slowly adding your existing logins. One way is to have the extension installed and then go visit your sites normally. When you submit a login form 1Password should see this and ask if you want to save. You let 1Password and it creates a Login item that stores all the details required to fill the page you were on. 99% of the time we should be able to easily determine what field is your username and which is your current password. The process should look a lot like our page Saving a Login. Now when you go to change your password, availing yourself of the ability to now set horrifically strong passwords using our Password Generator there should be a number of things that happen.

1. As soon as you fill or copy a password generated by the Password Generator it creates a Password item.
    2. When you submit the password change form the extension should recognise what you're doing. Typically password change forms will ask for you old password one and your new password twice (to eliminate a typo locking you out of your account). Three password fields, two of which contain the same value. It's common on password change forms and pretty uncommon elsewhere. We should see this and bring up the standard prompt. In the stable version of 1Password it always defaults to creating a new Login item but there is a menu where you can say that you want to update the password on an existing Login item instead. In the beta we're testing setting this by default to the update action which I think is an improvement. If you update a Login item the Password item created earlier is removed as it has been deemed redundant now. The crucial information it held is now stored in a Login item which is really what you want.
    3. Should for some odd reason we fail to ask you if you want to update then you still at least have the Password item. The next time you log in you would find the old Login item doesn't have the current password. You would mutter under your breath a bit (understandably so) but you should be able to fill in the password using the Password item and when you log in 1Password should ask here if you want to save or update.

We have two bugs that we're aware of though that are messing this up. Both related to when you fill using a Password item or fill using the Password Generator and we're in the process of fixing that. We have a beta version of our extension that works better on password change forms and I'm hopeful we're making progress on the more general issue of not asking when filling from a Password item. This bug can be bypassed if you copy and paste instead of fill but I'm hoping this workaround won't be required much longer. Between these and the improvements that I see in the beta version of 1Password for Mac I would hope that soon your experiences here are vastly different as right now I can fully understand why you wouldn't be happy or impressed. If everything worked properly though you shouldn't need to be using the Convert to Login button on a regular basis.

Obviously explaining how it should work probably seems like cold comfort at this precise point in time but I'm hoping knowledge of what should be will give hope. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

This discussion has been closed.