Questions about folders/organisation

Options
thatgriff
thatgriff
Community Member
edited December 2015 in Business and Teams

Hi,

My team currently use keepass and are looking to move to 1password and this new teams version seems ideal for us, so I've been looking into the logistics of getting all of our passwords transferred across and organised. Currently in keepass we have everything organised into folders (or groups as I believe keepass calls them) so I was thinking I could basically just replicate this folder structure in 1password, until I realised that 1password for teams doesn't allow folders.

For example, every employee has an apple account and currently in keepass we have a folder called 'Apple' and then in there we have a login for each person titled with their name. But in 1password teams I've had to create logins for each person by calling each one "Apple - Brian", "Apple - Collin", "Apple - Sally" etc. and then have tagged each one with 'Apple'. This kind of works, but all the tags get messy and I don't like having to start the each title with the category (which I've done to keep it organised in the 'all items' section).

I suppose I could just treat tags like folders, still call each login by the persons name and tell everyone just to only view passwords by the tags and avoid 'all items' as it will just be a mess... But then I'll miss the multi-level style of folders... Maybe my keepass roots are clouding my judgement and actually there's a much better, 1password style way.

I wonder if anyone could tell me why folders have gone and if you intend to add folder functionality in the future? If not, can anyone recommend a different way of organising everything just using tags/vaults? Thanks in advance.

Oh, an afterthought; we're a small team and need access to each others accounts from time to time (especially emails) so keeping everything in 'your vault' doesn't really work.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Jacob
    edited December 2015
    Options

Hey @thatgriff! Thanks for the interest in Teams. :) You could indeed use tags as a replacement for folders. In the Teams web interface, they will appear in the sidebar. You could just use the Everyone vault to store all the logins for your team and then tag each one with their names. If you prefer to do things a bit more folder-like, I'd suggest using an individual vault for each team member's logins and then giving the other members permission to read them as well. They don't need to edit them, just have read access so they can use the passwords. This knowledge base article may help:

1Password for Teams Admin Guide: Access Control

Let us know if that helps get things sorted out for you. If you have any questions, just post here.

• thatgriff
    thatgriff
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @penderworth,

Thanks for your advice, I've ended up using a combination of tags and vaults that I'm sure will evolve as we get used to it.
    But I can't help but feel the whole thing would be better organised with folders, could you tell me why the decision was taken to drop folders and if they will be making a return?

Thanks.

• @thatgriff No problem. I'm sure that will work well going forward. It's unlikely that we will use folders for Teams because tags have proven to be much more versatile. They encompass all the features of folders without enforcing singular membership, meaning you can have more than one tag, versus having the same item in multiple folders, which can get confusing. Hopefully that helps clear things up. :)

This discussion has been closed.