Using 1Password for Teams exclusively for teams

Options

The release notes for the 5.5.BETA-29 release say:

"Added the ability to use 1Password with only 1Password for Teams."

What does that mean exactly? I see the option to exclude the Primary vault from the "All Vaults" set. Is that it, or is there something else?

1Password Version: 5.5.BETA-29
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @wincent,

This means that if you were to start over (using say our Starting Over guide), you could do the First Run and opt to sign in with 1Password for Teams, in which case you would no longer have a Primary vault.

I hope this helps.

Rick

• wincent
    wincent
    Community Member
    Options

Cool, thanks for the info. I don't think I'll start over just to get rid of the vault, but it's good to know now I could if I wanted to.

• You're welcome.

Rick

• eh801
    eh801
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

According to the Release Notes the latest beta "added the ability to use 1Password with only 1Password for Teams".
    However, when I try to delete the redundant (and empty) Primary Vault (1Password 5 > Delete Vault...) nothing happens.

1Password Version: 5.5.BETA-29
    Extension Version: 4.5.0.b2
    OS Version: OS X 10.11.2
    Sync Type: Teams

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @eh801,

I've merged your post with this related thread where Rick's reply can help answer your question. It's not possible to remove the Primary vault after it's been created, only (as of 5.5.BETA-29) to start with a Teams-only configuration that excludes it.

Please let us know if you have any other questions about this. Cheers!

• eh801
    eh801
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk Thanks!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Let's both thank Rick. :lol:

• eh801
    eh801
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk Thanks to you too @rickfillion ;)

Now that I'm here anyway, I might just as well make a follow-up request: I would really like a button which lets you 'start over' in the Mac version (similar to the iOS version's 'Erase All 1Password Data' button).

• I hear ya, @eh801.

We discuss this internally every now and again, and so far every time we end up with the same answer (not to add it). The most common case for when this would be useful is for when someone forgets their Master Password. In that case the user has no real option (if they aren't using Teams) but to follow our Starting Over guide which gets them to delete all the data manually. We don't really want to give the option to a user to blow away the data from within the app without having provided the Master Password (like the iOS app does). But once you make that a requirement, you've disqualified the #1 use case.

We have an AppleScript that we provide to users when they email in that allows an automated way to start over. So far that's been working out nicely. I'm sure that we'll end up re-discussing this one eventually, as we always do. :)

Rick

• eh801
    eh801
    Community Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

@rickfillion Interesting to hear that the most common use case is forgetting your Master Password. Hopefully that never happens to me #fingers crossed#. I used to start over on iOS every once in a while when Dropbox messed things up (i.e. forgot to 'push' changes made or even disabled syncing through Dropbox altogether). If I would start syncing, this always caused issues (redundant or conflicting information), so starting over, and getting the latest data from Dropbox seemed the best solution. Though, I hope this won't be needed anymore with the new 'Teams' ;)

Maybe I can convince you to add it anyway :) I'm not sure if everything still works the way I remember (since I don't regularly start over on my Mac), but I think you get the picture. I suppose you could apply the same 'rules' that are currently used in the iOS version on the Mac version. It would work something like this: when you still know the master password, go into settings and hit the 'start over' button, or when you have forgotten the master password, delete the app to start over. However, if I remember correctly, when you delete the app at the moment it doesn't reset anything. Once you install a new version of 1Password, it just starts with the 'enter master password' screen as if nothing happend. If you would apply the iOS 'rules', deleting the app would mean 'starting over'. Because it has always been the way it works right now, I suppose this could possibly cause some issues (people accidentally deleting all their data etc.). As a compromise I suppose it would be possible to add an option to the 'welcome screen' (after 'starting over') as a fail-safe. In addition to the 'create new vault' or 'use existing vault in Dropbox/iCloud etc.' you could add 'restore from backup' when a backup is detected.

• @eh801 : With Teams 'Starting Over' should just be a matter of logging out of your Team and logging back in, so the need for it there will be lessened.

We can't make the Mac app work quite like the iOS app (where Deleting the app implies deleting the data). Both platforms have different conventions there. On iOS, an app actually can't store data outside of its container, which automatically gets deleted when you delete the app. On the Mac, the app and its data container are completely separate, and deleting one doesn't imply deleting the other.

I'd like for it to be possible to do what you're looking to do even without an official "Starting Over" button. For example if we allowed you to delete the primary Vault just like we allow you to delete the last Team, we should be able to get the same effect without needing an official Starting Over.

Thanks for the feedback. Always appreciated. :)

Rick

• eh801
    eh801
    Community Member
    Options

@rickfillion That would indeed be a solution to this specify issue. However, in all other cases the manual 'starting over' steps would still be required. It's not that big an issue though, because the manual steps are pretty easy too. It would be convenient though.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey, thanks for the feedback! We'd definitely like to simplify the 'starting over' process in the future. Even though we've obviously got our hands full at the moment, thanks for bringing that up! :)

• qwrenly
    qwrenly
    Community Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

"It's not possible to remove the Primary vault after it's been created, only (as of 5.5.BETA-29) to start with a Teams-only configuration that excludes it." - @sjk

Just thought I'd mention that the 5.5BETA29 update eliminating the Primary Vault is what compelled me to finally leave LastPass. Keeps it simple, no multiple master passwords, no chance to accidentally get mixed up with unnecessary vaults and syncing locations.

Thanks AgileBits!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Keeps it simple, no multiple master passwords, no chance to accidentally get mixed up with unnecessary vaults and syncing locations.
    Thanks AgileBits!

@qwrenly: Indeed, you're most welcome! Sometimes it's the little things. I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying the beta. Being able to use 1Password in Teams-only mode is pretty cool. Cheers! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.