When will we see Teams pricing?

Options
BoxCar
BoxCar
Community Member
edited December 2015 in Business and Teams

When will we see Teams pricing?

1Password is a relatively expensive utility app ($49.99 Mac App Store/+$9.99 Pro iOS version). It would be nice to know what the cost is before expending time and energy getting team members on board. After all if deemed too expensive it won’t be used.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Where or when when will we see Teams pricing?

Comments

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @BoxCar,

Generally speaking, Teams subscriptions will start at $4.99 per user per month, which includes all the apps. Teams users are not required to purchase platform licenses separately. More specifics, when we have them, will be added to our Pricing page.

During this beta period, we're still working out a lot of the details, and focusing much of our efforts on actually building the service, getting it working on all platforms, and listening to valuable feedback from our early adopters.

Meanwhile, there's nothing to lose by trying it out now; there's no commitment, and even if you decide not to subscribe when the beta period ends, you'll still have access to your existing data. Though, of course, we hope you will find it invaluable enough that you couldn't imagine going back. :)

• Scuba629
    Scuba629
    Community Member
    Options

@Vee While I realize nothing has been set in stone I do think $4.99 per user per month is high for a family . Don't get me wrong I am loving 1Password for Teams, but $120 dollars a year for my wife and I seems high.

• happyadam73
    happyadam73
    Community Member
    Options

Can I check that 1Password for Teams will be available through Windows before you start charging or shortly after? My understanding is that there are several important functions that are only available in the Mac application - i.e. copying/exporting isn't available on iOS or Web.

I also think that $4.99 is a bit high - I suspect I may have to consider LastPass Enterprise which is $2/user/month. Just wish all you very cool independent companies making great products such as Slack, Trello, 1Password, etc. could gang up and deliver bundles at a reduced price!! It seems that everything individually is $5/user/month and it stacks up real quick (Makes Office 365 look like a bargain!)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Scuba629, @happyadam73, @Bernfrin: 1Password for Teams isn't targeted at families or individuals...or we probably would have named it something else entirely. ;)

In all seriousness, we're focused first and foremost on giving some love to our business customers who have been asking for something like this for as long as I can remember.

We're a family company though, composed of individuals, so we'd definitely like to bring a version of it to 'the rest of us' as well in the future, and we'll price it appropriately.

1Password for Teams is still very much a beta, so additional features and more detailed pricing information will be forthcoming. :)

• Scuba629
    Scuba629
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty It's true the name "1Password for Teams" doesn't really sound like a family or individual product. =) I'd like to try and use it that way though. =) I came from Lastpass when they were bought by Logmein and miss parts of their cloud based model. Some of the things 1Password for Teams can do now or in the future are the same as Lastpass and that has me very excited.

• We're excited about it as well. Here's to a good beta. :sunglasses:

• rdhatt
    rdhatt
    Community Member
    Options

I am considering last pass, dash lane or 1password. I have used 1password personally but I would have to agree that $4.99 is WAY too expensive...2.5x the price of the competitors and they are mature products. I pay $50 per user for the ENTIRE google apps platform and have to pay that much for a password manager?

We have 100 employees...will you guys offer a volume discount or will you consider pricing it closer to your competitors ($2 or $2.50)? Really excited about the product but cannot justify $4.99 for my company.

Look forward to your response.

• Please note that the pricing is not figured out yet and we still have a lot of internal discussions about it. We would love to provide better pricing for everyone without making a mistake of not being able to support 1Password for Teams in the long run.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rdhatt: Indeed. Pricing hasn't been announced. And while we're certainly sensitive to cost from a user perspective (after all, we pay for subscriptions to a number of services ourselves!), we're going to price 1Password for Teams to be sustainable so we can continue to offer the same level of quality that our customers expect from an AgileBits product.

We want to be able to continue developing and supporting 1Password for Teams on the level of all of our products for the foreseeable future. We've been around for a decade and are looking toward the next. :)

• rdhatt
    rdhatt
    Community Member
    Options

@roustem @brenty Thanks for the quick reply guys...I know it has been mentioned many times that pricing has not been announced but do you have a window that you are considering to announce it? I can start using teams myself and with a couple of my senior staff but definitely cannot launch it company wide until we see the pricing as you can understand training and launching a product with 100+ staff is not like flipping a switch. I'm just looking to see if the window is within the next few weeks, months or 2nd quarter of 2016.

We need to implement a password solution soon as our list of sites / services grows in order to simplify the workflow and secure our systems. Currently Dashlane is offering me a special of $1.50 per user per month and lastpass is $2.00 per user per month. I really want to go with your solution but I need to justify choosing 1password at 2.5x+the cost.

Thanks,

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rdhatt: Not a problem! Unfortunately I can't pre announce anything. We'll definitely make an announcement when the time comes though.

That said, I don't know that we can compete with "free" or "next-to-nothing" — or want to. In fact, we'd rather offer the kind of awesome service and support that we'd like to have ourselves. So if price is the only consideration, you may find that another option better fits your needs.

• random_31731ec7aea
    Options

Hi Guys,

with 1p4t we give Access to users we would imagine before. And that is a great benefit for all. Anyway we up to 20 users right now and 1200 $ /year would be to much for us.
    So 2$/user/month would be 480$/year and this would be a price we can manage.
    I never considered to use lastpass but when I buy something that is much higher in price I need to justify it. And I have to compare to competitors. So if you would be at 2$ I could justify it.

Hopefully you make a good price, it would be bad for us to move back to keepassx or use lastpass instead. :-)

For my family account, I share a primary vault with my wife and I use dropbox sync and one license. It works fine for use. Anyway to support you I would pay up to 12$ a year if I could use your service with my wife.
    If you plan to release a new 1password version every 2 years I may goo up to 24$ cause I still have to buy the new version anyhow.

Random

• Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Random.

I don't think it's fruitful to talk about pricing at this time as there are too many unknowns. For example, will there be different tiers for different features? Will there be a plan specifically for families? Will there be discounts for X, Y, or Z? It's just too much to think about at this point in time – that's one of the reasons we chose to be completely free during the beta period :)

We will be making some announcements "soonishly" that I think you'll enjoy. I wanted to complete the preparation for the announcements before Christmas so I could give them to you as gifts, but the dates didn't quite work out. We're getting closer and I hope to be able to share more in one of my upcoming newsletters.

Cheers!

• BoxCar
    BoxCar
    Community Member
    Options

Right, but your users' time is valuable. So investing time to beta test a product that is eventually priced out of range is a waste your users' time.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BoxCar: I guess I don't see how it would be a waste, but of course that's a matter of personal perspective.

For instance, it seems to me that there are plenty of situations where I'd love to be able to test drive something like this for free but I can't. And even if we announced a price today, you don't really know if it is worth that to you without using it first yourself.

And of course it's not like you'd be dumping data into a black hole; once it becomes a paid service (or before, if you decide sooner that it isn't a good fit), you can simply export your data. And if you're already a 1Password user, you don't even have to do that: just move it back to a local vault!

More importantly, beta testing gives you an opportunity to help shape the product. Instead of complaining about how it's priced or the fact that we're not ready to announce yet, why not let us know what pricing you'd like, and the features that are most important to you?

Ultimately though, if you feel it's a waste of your time to participate in the beta process, then don't do it! I know I wouldn't in that case. Using a beta can be a fraught experience at times, and we only want you to do so if you want to.

And of course, just as we're not going to require that you decide right now on the spot whether you'll commit to 1Password for Teams, I hope you'll respect that we're not ready to announce pricing at this time. I think both parties should be free to determine this when each is ready. :blush:

• Hi @BoxCar,

I agree completely that we need to at least give you a ballpark figure on pricing. In my original reply I had assumed everyone had already read the 1Password for Teams Pricing Page, where we already started talking pricing. There we state that prices will start from $4.99 per user, per month. Even though there are still a lot of unknowns on our side we wanted to give our awesome beta testers a glimpse at what pricing will be.

What I was attempting to address in my reply above was the fact we're not ready to be any more explicit about prices at this moment. We will have different prices depending on the features that are needed, and we will have a Family Pricing option available as well to make 1Password for Teams more affordable for families.

While we're simply not ready to be more explicit with pricing, I'm hoping that we have given you enough information to go on to decide if you want to use 1Password for Teams for free during the beta period or not. As Brenty says, we hope that you're excited to try the beta, but if you're not and it feels like work, then no worries; we'll be happy to continue the conversation once we launch :)

Cheers!

• qwrenly
    qwrenly
    Community Member
    Options

As a family man myself I'm keen to get some definite answers on pricing soon. With an annual cost of US$72 (AU$100) for 6 family members - a reasonable US$12/user/year - LastPass Premium has always been within our budget. 1Password hinting at US$5/user/month... or US$60/user/year... eeep, I'll let you all do your own math... but for us the annual cost of 1Password would seemingly be about $500 Australian Dollars. Well and truly outside our budget! We're always happy paying a little more for the superior product/usability, but I have a bad feeling that despite the 1Password devs best efforts, Teams is going to wind up being wayyyyy too expensive for any Australian family even half our size...

@brenty "1Password for Teams isn't targeted at families or individuals...or we probably would have named it something else entirely"

I think that, right there, is going to be why Teams won't find a price to suit families. I fully appreciate what you are saying, and feel I'm understanding your thinking; you're targeting a new customer-base, the enterprise, rolling in all the advanced group management features they'll expect, it's progress, it'll grow and improve the product for everyone, and yes I agree that Teams is a good solid name for marketing the service to the business customer. For your existing customers however - (the everyday user) - the Teams label will be almost completely ignored, overlooked and forgotten, meaningless, to them it's still just the familiar 1Password app, and Teams is merely the latest upgrade/mode which finally eliminates a reliance on 3rd party cloud storage for vaults, allows easier set-up, easier to help tech-illiterate family members stay safe online and recover accounts if locked out. To the minds of your existing customers Teams is just an update to bring it in line with LastPass, intended as much for them as it is for your enterprise customers. And if it isn't for them, then you're seen as stagnating rather than innovating. Personally I feel that you've already been taking Teams in the perfect direction for both set's of customers, all you gotta do is get another label to slap on ("1Password Home"?), keep the enterprise features stripped out, and market separately at the right price points. /rant

• We called it 1Password for Teams specificly because we do expect families to use it. 1Password for Teams is perfect for families. It's what I always wanted for mine.

As for family pricing, you'll enjoy what we have in store. Trust me. I just need more time to get all our ducks in a row before making any announcements :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I think that, right there, is going to be why Teams won't find a price to suit families.

@qwrenly: Indeed. I'm sorry for not being clearer. I was intentionally trying to be a bit vague since we're not ready to announce anything yet, but 1Password for Teams is flexible enough for just about any use.

Since the question was specifically about pricing for families though, I felt it was important to draw a distinction between business-scale pricing and smaller scale for families and individuals. Looking forward to being able to share more details in the future. ;)

• qwrenly
    qwrenly
    Community Member
    Options

@dteare and @brenty; Got it, fantastic! So glad you responded specifically to my own pricing concerns as an Aussie, relieved to hear that 1Password Teams is definitely going to be a viable option for my family and I. Everyone reading this can hopefully just chill-out now and enjoy the beta period, cause sounds like it's gonna work out for us, lol. Already loving the beta myself, I'm a complete convert and the thing that pushed me to switch from LastPass is Teams, along with the support to manually export for backups. 1Password has 1000% more usability than LastPass in my opinion. The only other thing I'm really looking for now is the ability to recover items which were deleted and emptied from trash, up to a period of 30days, better yet, 90 days ago. That'd be truly fantastic and offer peace of mind that nobody in my family is going to mess themself up if I fail to perform a manual backup for a few months, I don't think I could ask for more than that. Best of luck to the Agile team.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@qwrenly: Thanks so much for your kind words and support — especially for helping us test 1Password for Teams! This is only the beginning. ;)

The only other thing I'm really looking for now is the ability to recover items which were deleted and emptied from trash, up to a period of 30days, better yet, 90 days ago.

While we haven't ironed out the details, this is definitely on our radar. We've recently exposed item history in the web interface, and given that the server maintains the data, versioning is something we'd like to enable as well. I think we could all use a little more peace of mind when it comes to our most important data. :)

• Thanks a lot @qwrenly, your kind words mean a lot to me and my team. It always feels good to know we're helping and providing peace of mind :)

Regarding the ability to recover deleted items, I'm going to ping @JasperP as he's working on making this possible. I want it, too, so let's ping Jasper a few extra times to make sure he doesn't forget ;)

• Al Nelson
    Al Nelson
    Community Member
    Options

Just want to add that I'm excited about the teams for family concept. Already bought desktop and mobile versions for wife and I. But as the kids grow older this has a lot of potential. I also hope to see a reasonable price point for families.

• hwieser
    hwieser
    Community Member
    Options

Seeing the price tag (even if not final etc etc) had me stop ALL testing on 1passwod for Teams and roll back.
    Do you realize you are asking more than Microsoft for the entire Office365 family?
    Are you sure?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Seeing the price tag (even if not final etc etc) had me stop ALL testing on 1passwod for Teams and roll back.

@hwieser: Well, I hope you didn't actually roll back your data, as that's entirely unnecessary. You or anyone else who's copied their data to a 1Password for Teams vault to evaluate it can simply copy it back to a 'personal' vault if needed.

Do you realize you are asking more than Microsoft for the entire Office365 family?
    Are you sure?

I'm afraid I'm not actually sure what you're asking. We haven't announced pricing yet, but we will as soon as it's been finalized. Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions, or clarifications!

Just want to add that I'm excited about the teams for family concept. Already bought desktop and mobile versions for wife and I. But as the kids grow older this has a lot of potential. I also hope to see a reasonable price point for families.

@Al Nelson: While it's impossible to say for certain since it can be pretty subjective, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with what we come up with. :)

This discussion has been closed.