Can the next version have a "hardware" listing so we can store our hardware serial number & info

JeffJoe65
JeffJoe65
Community Member

Can the next version have a "hardware" listing so we can store our hardware serial number & info

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• JeffJoe65
    JeffJoe65
    Community Member

Even automobile, lawnmower, generator, furnace, water heater, appliances, etc.?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

@JeffJoe65 - I am just a fellow user like yourself, but my best guess is that the developers will implement the ability for users to create their own custom catgories before they will try to mediate among the various users interested in their own new special category. I also have hung around the forum long enough to know not to expect any particular revision to be announced ahead of its release. But while we wait to see, have you checked out using Secure Notes for things of that nature? Just a thought, in case it hadn't occurred to you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@JeffJoe65: Indeed, custom categories are a feature we'd like to add in the future. But in the mean time, as hawkmoth mentioned, Secure Notes are a great way to store the more 'miscellaneous' information like this. For example, I have a Secure Note with my device serial numbers. I hope this helps! :)

• Marina
    Marina
    Community Member

I'll just add that I have all kinds of stuff in Secure Notes! It's one of my favourite sections of 1Password, and I consider it to be the safest, most secure area of my devices and the iMac. Can't imagine life without 1Password. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Wow! Thank you, Marina! Thank you for your kind words, and your support. I'm glad to hear that 1Password has found a place on your hard drive — and in your heart. And quite frankly we couldn't imagine (or perhaps, don't want to imagine) life without you and the rest of our awesome customers. I hope you're enjoying your holidays. We're here if you need us! :chuffed:

• kevinSuttle
    kevinSuttle
    Community Member

Great idea and responses here.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• jkwuc89
    jkwuc89
    Community Member

I agree that using a secure note is a good "workaround" for storing information like model and serial numbers. With that said, I would like to vote for adding a new dedicated category to store model numbers and serial numbers. Examples: Cars, appliances, TVs, computers, iPhones. This new category could also include fields for warranty information.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jkwuc89,

Thanks so much for adding your vote here! Different categories are one of our most popular feature requests (based on my purely subjective wanderings around the forums). One of the biggest challenges we'll face when the time comes to redesign 1Password's categories is which categories will be most useful to the widest number of users (let's just say I'm quite happy that I don't have to make that final decision!) So, I'm glad to hear that Secure Notes sound like a reasonable solution to you for now. Of course, we will continue to listen to all feedback and take it into account when it does come time to shake up the categories. :)

• FransG
    FransG
    Community Member

To avoid too many different categories, couldn't you add a new main category 'warranty'. This would cover all purchases, from lawn movers, to computers to whatever. If the fields would be warranty specific and a file upload is possible as usual, all is set and the less accessible secure notes do not have to be used. All warranties are in one spot.

Thank you,

Frans

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Frans ( @FransG ),

Thanks so much for the suggestion!

This discussion has been closed.