Built-in browsers don't offer to open epub in iBooks

Options
rl50
rl50
Community Member

When I download the epub version of my newspaper in Safari it offers me to open the file in iBooks or some other reader. However, when I try the same from within 1Password using the built-in browser, all I get is a page of text. That is, the built-in browser seems to skip the “Open in... / Open in iBooks” page and just open the epub directly. I tried 1Browser and Safari, but no difference. All built-in browsers seem to behave the same.

(1Password 6.1.2, iOS 9.2)

1Password Version: 6.1.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 9.2
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:epub

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rl50,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

I think this is a limitation of Safari View Controller. It's been a longstanding issue, though, so I wonder if it is intentional on Apple's part for some strange reason since it was also an issue in the older WebView as well.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2015
    Options

@rl50: Thanks for clarifying! This is definitely a limitation of iOS itself. Safari is always a step ahead of what 3rd party apps get access to.

I believe this is intentional, to prevent anyone from effectively breaking out of the app sandbox by downloading a file to another app entirely — in this case, from 1Password to iBooks. It may be that this is something Apple will improve i the future, but they're being very cautious about adding inter-app-operability to avoid the security pitfalls of other OSes. I hope this helps!

• Ben
    Options

In addition to what my colleagues have said I'd like to point out that 1Browser is mostly a holdover from when we were unable to integrate into Safari directly. With the new Safari extension there is little, if any, advantage to using 1Browser over Safari w/ the extension enabled. As you've discovered Safari has some features that we cannot yet implement in 1Browser.

If you have not enabled the extension yet you can read how to here:

Enable the extension | 1Password for iOS

Most of our iOS browser related development efforts will be focused on improving the experience in Safari, and other browsers that implement the extension. :)

Thanks!

Ben

• DoctorBrown
    DoctorBrown
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

I'd pull the 1Browser as soon possible. I find it just gets in the way and is missing too many browser functions to be useful. I'm glad to hear that improving the extensions is the way you will go.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion, @DoctorBrown.

ref: OPI-2626

This discussion has been closed.