Change an item's category? (Also, feature req: custom categories!)

Bmuse
Bmuse
Community Member
edited December 2015 in Mac

EDIT -- found a couple of posts where the reply is no, categories can't be changed, and it doesn't seem like that's on the horizon.

I'm going to continue using 1P strictly for the browser login, and SplashID for all other information.

Hi all,

Is it possible to change an item's category? I can't seem to find a way.

If not, PLEASE consider that a feature request!!

Also -- custom categories and icons would be incredibly useful.

I'm trying to jump completely from SplashID into my current 1Password app, but losing all my custom categories is making it difficult. Many things just import as notes, and I can't get them to be anything else without completely recreating them.

Thanks!

B

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2015

@Bmuse,

That is correct - category changing is not yet possible.

Did you happen to try the splashid converter in this converter suite ? I think you'll get much better fidelity, and the converter can be customized to suit your needs.

You can add custom fields and section to Secure Notes, so those become very rich categories, esp. if you save an empty one as a template. See Secure all the things in Secure Notes.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @Bmuse,

It isn't that we don't want to see this changed, it's just the original Agile Keychain design means it isn't anywhere as easy as it ought to be. I have added your vote to see this happen though and I know many people will be very happy when we can do something here.

ref: OPM-1643

• HMBSport
    HMBSport
    Community Member

I want to add my vote for editing categories. I imported 200+ items from SplashID. And I'd like to edit the category field to put each item in the correct category instead of Secure Notes or Logins which is where all of the items wound up. And I don't have access to my SplashID app right now in terms of reimporting using a converter.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2016

@HMBSport,

You might try the splashid converter in the converter suite. It will much better categorize your entries. Use the 1.09 version in Testing Bits mentioned on the first post of the thread.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @HMBSport,

I hope MrC's suggestion was helpful! I'll be glad to forward your requests to our developers (although I can't make any promises about if/when we would make changes like that).

If you need more help or have other questions, be sure to let us know. We're here for you! :)

• ginbin
    ginbin
    Community Member
    edited June 2016

Hi!

I'd also like to add my vote for custom categories!

Like @HMBSport, My work also currently uses SplashID for teams but I have been trying to find alternatives with better features and keep falling flat when it comes to custom categories or templates. I've been a great fan of 1Password personally for many years and like where 1Password for Teams is going in terms of active developments (very happy to see an answer for 2 factor authentication, guest invites (our customers potentially) and windows desktop support appear).
    However without functions for custom categories or changing categories for existing items (even on the horizon at least) I can't push this far with the boss.

I hope it ends up being implemented in the future considering the usefulness of these especially as others like Lastpass and Dashlane are almost mainly annoying based on web page logins with a side of other passwords. ;)

P.S Technically this could be a new post in the Teams area, but wanted to keep it all together with existing requests

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ginbin,

Thank you for your kind words and love to 1Password! Costume categories is something that has been mentioned for a while now, and it looks like a lot of our users would love to see it done. I'll add your comment to our tacker and hope we can in fact get to see this implemented in 1Password one day! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.