Syncing issues

Options
amfueger
amfueger
Community Member

Initially when I installed Dropbox syncing for one password it was fine at first, until I had to change my password. Then it refused to sync. On my iPhone, home mac, my old work mac, this was never a problem. And it's definitely set to sync to Dropbox.

Currently, I am setting it up on my new macbook and it refuses to sync with the dropbox copy of my vault. I am entering my current password correctly, so the only thing I can imagine is that the copy of the vault is old with an old password, which of course I do not have. I can't think of another reason. It won't let me go back to see if I can sync to something else, even though I doubt I have an iCloud backup. There are no preferences to switch where I sync to within Onepassword after installation.

I have no idea what to do.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• amfueger
    amfueger
    Community Member
    Options

1pass version: 5.4
    Sync Type: Dropbox
    OS Version (about to update): 10.10.5 Yosemite
    No extensions as of yet on this new macbook

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @amfueger,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

Be sure to unlock 1Password with your old Master Password first. Then 1Password can sync, and the new Master Password will go into effect.

1Password can't know about the new Master Password unless it syncs. And it can't sync unless it is unlocked. And it can't be unlocked without the current Master Password since it doesn't know about the new one yet.

Let me know if that helps! And if you are interested in the geeky details:

How 1Password syncs changes to your Master Password

This discussion has been closed.