Is 1Password data safe to sync while unlocked? [Yes, thanks to end-to-end encryption.]

Options
KyCuongHuynh
KyCuongHuynh
Community Member
edited December 2015 in Mac

If 1Password is unlocked, is the underlying data in the OPVault still encrypted and safe to sync? For example, say I have 1Password unlocked and iCloud/Dropbox is actively syncing files. Based on the OPVault Design Document (which is stellar, by the way), my understanding is this:

1. I create a new login item.
  2. The new login item is added to the offline SQLite database on my device. It is kept encrypted unless I'm actively viewing it or copying it, thanks to the encryption key hierarchy.
  3. The OPVault data is updated with the encrypted version of my new item. iCloud/Dropbox sync it up. At no time was unencrypted item data (aside from the unencrypted metadata) ever sent to iCloud/Dropbox.

Is this correct? :-)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @KyCuongHuynh,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. it's great that you are thinking about these things. :)

That is correct. Unencrypted data is never written to disk. So unless you find a sync solution that is somehow syncing data in memory rather than from disk, you have nothing to worry about. (Hint: such a sync solution would be probably be considered malware.) ;)

Your 1Password data is encrypted on your device and remains encrypted when syncing, so you are not relying on the security of any other service to keep your data safe:

What is end-to-end encryption? How does that protect my data?

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Cheers!

• KyCuongHuynh
    KyCuongHuynh
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, and keep up the great work!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Will do! Thank you for your support, @KyCuongHuynh. :)

Have a great rest of your week and a lovely New Year!

This discussion has been closed.