Dropbox conflict when opening 1Password 5

Options
pat2425
pat2425
Community Member
edited December 2015 in Mac

I upgraded my macbook pro to OS X and then upgraded to iCloud5. When I tried to open iCloud5 for the 1st time it gave me the message that it saw my account in Dropbox & prompted me to type my master password. Unfortunately, the data it was seeing was put into dropbox from my wife's account--not mine. It wanted my wife's password. I know this for certain because of the "password hint" it gave me. Can I uninstall iCloud 5 & then just go back to my proper account? I really need my account back. We purchased 2 separate accounts.

1Password Version: 5.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: os x 10.11.02
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: kb-search:uninstalling a software update, kb:icloud-faq, kb:icloud-troubleshooting

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pat2425,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

I am a little confused about the issue. Is it possible that in all the places you wrote "iCloud 5" you actually meant "1Password 5"?

I want to confirm that before we go any further, as I don't want to give you instructions which simply assume that to be the case and end up making things worse.

Please let me know.

Cheers!

• pat2425
    pat2425
    Community Member
    Options

Yes--you are correct. It's been a long day.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No worries. That was the only way I was able to make sense of it, so I'm glad that's all it was. Thanks for confirming, @pat2425. :)

It sounds like you and your wife might be sharing a single Dropbox account. Is that the case? If so, we would recommend having separate Dropbox accounts (as well as separate OS X user accounts if you share the same Mac). Otherwise, this problem will keep coming back if you are both trying to sync your own separate vaults to the same Dropbox account.

1. Are you currently sharing a Dropbox account with your wife?
    2. Do you and your wife share a single user account on the same Mac? Or might you have separate user accounts (on the same Mac or different Macs — either way is fine)?
  • pat2425
    pat2425
    Community Member
    Options
    1. I deleted dropbox from my computer completely (I think) after I couldn't get 1Password to recognize my account. We weren't using it anyway and I was trying to eliminate the conflict.
    2. My wife & I have separate Macbook Pros. We have separate 1Password user accounts on each computer. I think that when we purchased 1Password for her, that info was in the dropbox and somehow "infiltrated" my account on my computer. We have always had two different 1Password accounts with 2 different master passwords. Thanks for your help. Can you tell me what I did wrong?
  • Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pat2425,

Thanks for the additional information!

So if I understand, you had previously been using an older version of OS X on your Mac, and an older version of 1Password. Then you recently upgraded your Mac to El Capitan and 1Password 5. The first time you opened 1Password 5, it sounds like it didn't find your existing 1Password data, and instead took you through the steps described in this section of the user guide. When you chose "I've used 1Password before" it was able to find your wife's vault in Dropbox, but not your own data. Is that all correct?

If so, we'll just need to know a few more details to determine where your own data is currently located, and the best way to get 1Password 5 set up correctly on your Mac:

• What version of OS X were you using before upgrading to El Capitan?
    • When you upgraded your Mac, did you do a clean install of El Capitan? Or did you install El Capitan on top of the previous OS X version?
    • If you did a clean install of El Capitan, did you restore any of your Mac's data from a backup?
    • What version of 1Password were you previously using on your Mac?
    • If you had been using 1Password 3, is the 1Password 3 app still installed on your Mac, and does it still have all your data?
    • Are you using the Mac App Store version or the AgileBits Store version of 1Password?
    • Do you use 1Password on any other devices? And if so, what devices, and what version of 1Password?
    • If you use 1Password on other devices, do they have your latest 1Password data?
    • Before this all happened, how were you syncing your own 1Password data (i.e. Dropbox, iCloud, etc)?
    • If you had been using Dropbox sync, are you sure it was syncing to your own Dropbox account? And are you signed into your own Dropbox account on your Mac now?
    • What do you currently see when you open the 1Password 5 app?

Thanks in advance!

• pat2425
    pat2425
    Community Member
    Options

Everything you assume in the 1st paragraph is correct except I have never seen the screen that your link takes me to in the user guide. The one that it took me to was different. It had different options like: Use data in dropbox"; "Show in Finder" "Find another"; "Restore from Backup"; "Create new Vault" I believe I was using OS X Lion before I upgraded. I installed El Capitan on top of the older version. I have no idea what version if 1 Password I was using before. I believe I am using a Mac App Store version but not sure. I don't know how I was syncing--I just used the app. I have deleted dropbox from my computer because I thought that would prevent 1Password from seeing the wrong account & I could then use my own account. The options I see when I try to open the app are as stated above. By the way, you should know that I have been backing up my macbook pro to an external hard drive for years. Would the data I need be in the backup?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @pat2425! That's definitely helpful.

If your Mac had been running OS X 10.7 (Lion), you were probably using 1Password 3 for Mac, as newer versions of 1Password won't run on Lion. And if you had been using the Mac App Store version of 1Password 3 for Mac, the Mac App Store would have prompted you to install the update to 1Password 5 after you installed OS X 10.11 (El Capitan), which would have replaced version 3 in the Applications folder.

If 1Password 3 was syncing with Dropbox, 1Password 5 should have found your vault there the first time you opened it. From your description, it sounds like that's what happened - except you said it was asking for your wife's master password instead of your own. I don't know how that would have happened, because if you and your wife have separate Dropbox accounts and weren't sharing your 1Password vaults with each other, and assuming you were signed into your own Dropbox account, the only vault there should have been yours.

Fortunately, that doesn't matter too much because you said you have backups of your Mac. So I think the easiest way to solve this is to find the most recent backup from 1Password 3, and use that to restore your data to 1Password 5. Before we find that backup, you can actually go ahead and open 1Password 5, and choose the option for "Create new Vault". Choose the same master password you had been using before, and you'll end up with a new, empty vault.

Next, let's find a backup from 1Password 3. It sounds like you were using the Mac App Store version of 1Password 3, which means those backup files should be located here:
    ~/Library/Containers/com.agilebits.onepassword-osx/Data/Library/Application Support/1Password/Backups/

You can actually look for that location on your current Mac, and if you don't find it, check for the same folder on your backup drive. If you find it, the 1Password 3 backup files should have names like "1Password_DATE_FORMAT.agilekeychain_zip" (where DATE_FORMAT would be the date the backup was made). Copy the most recent one to the Desktop of your Mac, then follow these steps to restore that data to 1Password 5:

• Rename the backup file to: 1Password.agilekeychain.zip
    • Double-click that file to unzip it, and it will now be named 1Password.agilekeychain
    • Open 1Password 5 (unlock it with your master password if necessary)
    • Go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences, select Sync, then choose Folder from the “Sync vault with” pop-up menu
    • Choose the 1Password.agilekeychain file

If all goes well, you should now have all your data in 1Password 5. But if something goes wrong, just let us know exactly what happens, and we'll continue from there. Thanks!

• pat2425
    pat2425
    Community Member
    Options

SUCCESS!!! Thanks to your extremely accurate instructions I now have my Vault completely restored. If you would forward a link to your supervisor, I would be happy to tell him/her what a great job you did & how patient you were with an illiterate old man--ha ha.

However, now I have another small issue or three:
    1. When I open 1Password, my wife's account is still the "Primary" account so I have to enter her password to get in and then enter my password to access my Vault. Is there any way to change it so that on my computer my vault is the primary? Or, if that is not possible, can my wife's account be deleted on my computer so that mine is the only Vault. I like having both (and my wife doesn't mind) but I don't like entering 2 master passwords to get access.
    2. What should I be syncing to: a file or the iCloud? I am a little worried about the security on the iCloud.
    3. How do I put the 1Password icon on my toolbar?

Once again, THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH

• pat2425
    pat2425
    Community Member
    Options

UPDATE: I have solved #3 above so no need to address that issue--thanks

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pat2425,

SUCCESS!!! Thanks to your extremely accurate instructions I now have my Vault completely restored. If you would forward a link to your supervisor, I would be happy to tell him/her what a great job you did & how patient you were with an illiterate old man--ha ha.

That's great news, I'm glad my steps were helpful! And thank you so much for the kind words! I'll be happy to forward your comments to others here. :)

Oh, and by following my steps, I think you've proven that you're much more literate than you're giving yourself credit for! ;)

When I open 1Password, my wife's account is still the "Primary" account so I have to enter her password to get in and then enter my password to access my Vault. Is there any way to change it so that on my computer my vault is the primary? Or, if that is not possible, can my wife's account be deleted on my computer so that mine is the only Vault. I like having both (and my wife doesn't mind) but I don't like entering 2 master passwords to get access.

It sounds like your wife's data was used to create the Primary vault in 1Password 5 before you were able to restore your own data as a secondary vault. There's no simple setting to change which vault is Primary, but we can help you get that all sorted out. First, please backup all your data and also double-check the location of your .agilekeychain file:

• As a precaution, make a new backup of your 1Password 5 data by opening the main 1Password 5 app and going to File > Backup.
    • Next, in the same Preferences window that should be open, click the Sync tab.
    • Select your own/secondary vault on the left side of that window (it should be the one underneath the Primary vault).
    • If Folder sync is still enabled, it should show the location of your .agilekeychain file (possibly the Desktop, if you had followed my previous steps to put it there). You will want to make sure you know where to find that file.

Next, you can reset 1Password and then set it up with your own vault as the Primary vault:

• Reset 1Password on your Mac by following the steps here: How do I start over with an empty vault?
    • After you do that, open 1Password 5 again, and it should be like the first time.
    • Choose "I've used 1Password before", then follow the steps in the first section on this page of the user guide. You will need to select your .agilekeychain file, which should be in the location you found in the above steps.

If it all goes according to plan, your own vault should now be the Primary vault. You can add your wife's vault as a secondary vault if you want to. Please let us know how it all goes up to this point!

What should I be syncing to: a file or the iCloud? I am a little worried about the security on the iCloud.

After following the steps I've given you, you'll probably still have Folder sync enabled in your sync settings in 1Password 5. But once everything is setup correctly, you don't need to keep that enabled - using Folder sync with your .agilekeychain file was just a way to get that data copied into 1Password 5. You can disable Folder sync after all that, and you can delete that .agilekeychain file from your Desktop. To do that, go to 1Password > Preferences > Sync and change the sync setting for your vault from Folder to None (you can check the box to delete your data, which will delete the .agilekeychain file - that's fine, as long as your data is now in 1Password 5).

If you only use 1Password on your Mac and don't need to sync your vault to any other devices, you don't need to use any sync options at all. But if you want to sync with another device, Dropbox and iCloud sync are both great options. We're very confident about storing 1Password data in the cloud, as your data file is encrypted with an exceedingly secure encryption algorithm called AES. Even if someone were to acquire a copy of your 1Password data file, it would be extremely difficult (approaching impossible in a human lifetime) for them to actually gain access to your passwords without your master password. To learn more about cloud data security, please take a look through our Knowledgebase article on Cloud Security.

Looking forward to hearing how everything goes! :)

• pat2425
    pat2425
    Community Member
    Options

So you say, "As a precaution, make a new backup of your 1Password 5 data by opening the main 1Password 5 app and going to File > Backup." But when I read "How do I start over with an empty vault" it says that all backups will be deleted. So I guess I am questioning what good it will do to make this backup? Also, If I am reading this right, I have to pull another file from the Library--“2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper” Is that correct? I have backed up my entire hard drive to an external hard drive, but if I make a mistake here, how serious is it? Could I be back to square one? Thanks.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pat2425,

So you say, "As a precaution, make a new backup of your 1Password 5 data by opening the main 1Password 5 app and going to File > Backup." But when I read "How do I start over with an empty vault" it says that all backups will be deleted. So I guess I am questioning what good it will do to make this backup?

Sorry for any confusion! If you take a look through the actual steps on that page, you'll notice they ask you to move certain files/folders to the Desktop - so you won't actually be deleting anything at all. The folder you move to the Desktop will contain your backup files for 1Password, so if necessary, you'll be able to restore your data from one of those backups (and we can help you with that). Those backups won't actually be deleted unless/until you move them to the Trash and then empty the Trash. (I can let someone know we need to make that clearer in the steps on that page.)

Also, If I am reading this right, I have to pull another file from the Library--“2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper” Is that correct?

Yes - you'll be moving the folder named “2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper” to your Desktop of your Mac. That folder contains the data & backup files for 1Password on your Mac, and you need to remove it from its current location so 1Password will allow you to set it up again (i.e. you'll be able to create a new Primary vault with your own data instead of your wife's data).

All of your wife's 1Password data will still be on her own Mac and/or other devices. If she syncs 1Password with Dropbox, her data will still be in Dropbox as well. A copy of your own data is in the .agilekeychain file that I helped you retrieve from 1Password 3, so once you reset 1Password, you'll be able to restore your data from that file.

I have backed up my entire hard drive to an external hard drive, but if I make a mistake here, how serious is it? Could I be back to square one? Thanks.

That's why I made sure to have you create a backup first! ;) If you do somehow make a mistake that causes a problem, you won't be back to square one because your data is backed up in a few locations, including the full backup of your Mac on the external drive, the backup files in your 1Password folder that you'll be dragging to the Desktop, the .agilekeychain file that I helped you retrieve from your 1Password 3 backups, and your other 1Password 3 backups.

As long as you have backups of your data, we can help you restore your data if something goes wrong. I'm sure you'll be fine, but let us know if you have more questions or concerns about any of that. :)

• pat2425
    pat2425
    Community Member
    Options

It seems that I have screwed this up! I'm back to having only my wife's data on my computer. I moved the “2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper” file to my desktop but when I try to open 1Password5, I was back to just having to choose my wife's data that says was obtained from dropbox.??? I know my data is somewhere on my computer but don't know how to get it back.--SORRY

• pat2425
    pat2425
    Community Member
    Options

Also, when I first got on this morning there was a pop-up that said 1Password did not back up and a tab that said "ErrorDomaine= NSCocoaErrorDomaine??????

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pat2425,

I'm sorry this is turning out to be a bit more difficult than it should be! But I think I know what might be going on. Right now you are using the Mac App Store version of 1Password, but is it possible you've ever had the AgileBits Store version installed? If so, it would have its own data stored in a separate location on your Mac, and when you opened the Mac App Store version after following the 'starting over' steps, it would have copied the database from the AgileBits Store version if it didn't find its own.

If that seems confusing, don't worry - the point is that I think I know how to solve this. Please follow our starting over steps again. This time, look for and remove all the files listed for both the Mac App Store and AgileBits Store versions of 1Password.

Hopefully you'll find (and remove) the files/folders for both versions. If so, the Mac App Store version should no longer be able to find your wife's data, and you'll be able to sync your own data from your .agilekeychain file.

Now, if for some reason you do all that but 1Password asks for a master password as soon as you open it, does it have a link that says "click here ▼ to select a different option"? If so, click on that and select "Find another". You should then be able to select the .agilekeychain file which I believe is on your Desktop (that I helped you retrieve from a 1Password 3 backup).

Please let us know how it all goes, thanks!

• pat2425
    pat2425
    Community Member
    Options

As of now, everything is working correctly & my password works and my vault is intact. I honestly don't know how I fixed all the mistakes I made but I would have been totally lost without your expert help. You can consider this closed & once again, your help was amazing. Happy New Year !!!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pat2425,

On behalf of @Drew_AG, we're happy to hear that everything is working now and I'm pretty confident Drew will be very happy to hear this :smile: Hopefully 1Password serves you well and trouble-free through 2016 and further :smile:

• pat2425
    pat2425
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Sorry, I have discovered 1 more problem: It seems that every time I type my email address (email removed), something is putting in a space in my address. When I type, this is what happens: (email removed) It puts in the space automatically as soon as I type the "@" key. I have been talking to apple support & they think it is some sort of setting in 1Password. Any thoughts?

• @pat2425 That is very strange indeed. I removed your email address since this is a public forum and it's personal info. :) Where does this issue happen? It's unlikely that 1Password is the cause, but I'm curious about where you're typing your email address when the space is added.

I'd also recommend launching the System Preferences app and heading to the Keyboard pane. From there, switch to the Text tab and look for anything with the @ or your email. These settings are for text substitution and could interfere with things. Let us know what you find.

• pat2425
    pat2425
    Community Member
    Options

It happens whenever I physically type my email address into a field to open a website. I don't use 1Password for every single site I enter.
    I checked the keyboard pane, text & nothing with an @. This problem started when I updated to El Capitan and upgraded to 1Password5. I have already corresponded with apple support & they could not find anything on their side.

• @pat2425 Thanks for the update. Could you launch 1Password, click the 1Password menu, hold Control on your keyboard, and click Quit 1Password and 1Password mini, then try typing your password and let us know if it's still adding that space?

• pat2425
    pat2425
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, it still puts in the space

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pat2425,

By quitting 1Password mini 1Password wasn't running at all. To be doubly sure I would also suggest disabling the 1Password Browser Extension and confirming again but it really doesn't sound like 1Password is the cause and it wouldn't make any sense that it was us because

1. We only react when you send an instruction to 1Password e.g. the keyboard shortcut ⌘\
    2. None of our shortcuts use the @ symbol that I'm aware of.

Is it possible your browser is remembering stuff for you as I think they all do have autofill features. What browser are you using and do you see the same issue in other browsers when you visit the same site in them?

• pat2425
    pat2425
    Community Member
    Options

You were absolutely correct. It turned out to be an issue with the autocorrect in my browser (Safari) I was able to create a shortcut that solved the issue, By the way, the problem didn't exist in Google Chrome at all. Imagine that! (ha ha). Thank you once again for all your help. You guys are the best on-line help resource I have ever used.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pat2425,

Thank you for your kind words. No idea why but I'm having one of those days where I'm just not getting myself fired up as I normally am and like to be and your words were a great boost :chuffed:

We do try to give great help :lol:

This discussion has been closed.